Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the way it should look. The “Powerwall+ 1 Leader (L)” is just the title of the site the installer entered when commissioning. You can tap on that title and change it to whatever you want.
I named them to try to keep them organized.

It seems weird to me that the Leader has a "x2" on it, if the battery percent is only the Leader percent... As "Powerwall+ 2 Follower (R)" shows 23%

I'd would expect them to be combined if showing a 2x but maybe not?

It seems weird to me that the Leader has a "x2" on it, if the battery percent is only the Leader percent... As "Powerwall+ 2 Follower (R)" shows 23%

Oh, well in that case you stumped me! My three Powerwalls show on one page with a “3x” badge. And others I know with pre-Powerwall+ installs are the same as mine.

Oh, well in that case you stumped me! My three Powerwalls show on one page with a “3x” badge. And others I know with pre-Powerwall+ installs are the same as mine.

Maybe this is because each Powerwall+ is acting as its own gateway. I imagine if you had two of the older gateways at a single house with separate strings hooked up to each that's how it would look.

Reactions: jhn_
Maybe this is because each Powerwall+ is acting as its own gateway. I imagine if you had two of the older gateways at a single house with separate strings hooked up to each that's how it would look.
I got off the phone with tech support, they said the installing team registered the lead powerwall+ as the gateway when they should have registered the "Backup Gateway 2" as the gateway. I remember talking to the installer who said the lead powerwall+ has a communication line to the Backup Gateway 2... Now I'm not sure who is right. Tech support said they will reconfigure my system/account and a new firmware will be pushed to resolve the other outstanding issues.

Anyone else with a Powerwall+? Tech support told me that within my Tesla app I should see the serial of the Backup Gateway 2 and not a Powerwall+

I got off the phone with tech support, they said the installing team registered the lead powerwall+ as the gateway when they should have registered the "Backup Gateway 2" as the gateway. I remember talking to the installer who said the lead powerwall+ has a communication line to the Backup Gateway 2... Now I'm not sure who is right. Tech support said they will reconfigure my system/account and a new firmware will be pushed to resolve the other outstanding issues.

Anyone else with a Powerwall+? Tech support told me that within my Tesla app I should see the serial of the Backup Gateway 2 and not a Powerwall+
I’m awaiting PTO, so I have only seen my system working briefly on my install day last week. I have a 8.16 kW solar panel system with a Powerwall+ and a Powerwall 2. The serial displayed in my Tesla app is the serial from the inverter box (Powerwall+). The guys installing the Powerwalls (as opposed to my separate roof crew installing the panels) had trouble during commissioning. They explained to me that it’s confusing how their supposed to commission the PW+ compared to older setups, it is somehow backwards, and if they get it wrong it’s a big deal. I can’t remember the exact procedure now, but they did call in and were getting technical support while working on it.

Something I found interesting is that the procedure for connecting to the inverter (as part of the PW+, as I understand it) is the same procedure for connecting to a Backup Gateway 2: Connecting to Tesla Gateway. I have a Backup Gateway 2 as part of my installation, but it is currently off as my main disconnect is off until I get PTO from my utility company. I only have 1 TEG-XXX SSID broadcasted around my install site and it matches the label(s) on the equipment within my inverter (the box above the Powerwall of my Powerwall+). I’ve tried connecting to it following Tesla’s Connecting to Tesla Solar Inverter guide but it didn’t work.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I’m awaiting PTO, so I have only seen my system working briefly on my install day last week. I have a 8.16 kW solar panel system with a Powerwall+ and a Powerwall 2. The serial displayed in my Tesla app is the serial from the inverter box (Powerwall+). The guys installing the Powerwalls (as opposed to my separate roof crew installing the panels) had trouble during commissioning. They explained to me that it’s confusing how their supposed to commission the PW+ compared to older setups, it is somehow backwards, and if they get it wrong it’s a big deal. I can’t remember the exact procedure now, but they did call in and were getting technical support while working on it.

Something I found interesting is that the procedure for connecting to the inverter (as part of the PW+, as I understand it) is the same procedure for connecting to a Backup Gateway 2: Connecting to Tesla Gateway. I have a Backup Gateway 2 as part of my installation, but it is currently off as my main disconnect is off until I get PTO from my utility company. I only have 1 TEG-XXX SSID broadcasted around my install site and it matches the label(s) on the equipment within my inverter (the box above the Powerwall of my Powerwall+). I’ve tried connecting to it following Tesla’s Connecting to Tesla Solar Inverter guide but it didn’t work.
That makes sense, my solar crew did their install without issue but the Powerwall team had trouble and also had to call tech support.

I have 2 Powerwall+ batteries and inverters due to my system being a 12.24 kW. I was told there is a firmware being released Friday that will resolve the communication and pairing issues with the new Powerwall+ batteries, version 21.20.3

I have 2 TEG-XXX SSIDs as I have 2 inverters. I was told there is a communication line going from the lead Powerwall to the Backup Gateway 2 and the follower Powerwall is supposed to be connected to the lead Powerwalls inverter to allow it to control the group as it is communicating with the Backup Gateway 2. I only have 1 Powerwall on my WiFi as state the other is configured to connect supposedly to the lead Powerwall.

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see. Tesla Energy Support told me my PA sent my PTO request in on 6/18 but I've not heard from my PA (3rd one this project) since the text message about the inspection.

• Informative
That makes sense, my solar crew did their install without issue but the Powerwall team had trouble and also had to call tech support.

I have 2 Powerwall+ batteries and inverters due to my system being a 12.24 kW. I was told there is a firmware being released Friday that will resolve the communication and pairing issues with the new Powerwall+ batteries, version 21.20.3

I have 2 TEG-XXX SSIDs as I have 2 inverters. I was told there is a communication line going from the lead Powerwall to the Backup Gateway 2 and the follower Powerwall is supposed to be connected to the lead Powerwalls inverter to allow it to control the group as it is communicating with the Backup Gateway 2. I only have 1 Powerwall on my WiFi as state the other is configured to connect supposedly to the lead Powerwall.

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see. Tesla Energy Support told me my PA sent my PTO request in on 6/18 but I've not heard from my PA (3rd one this project) since the text message about the inspection.
Thanks for the info.

I just remembered that my Backup Gateway 2 was connected to my home’s network (wifi, just like my PW+ inverter) while the system was being tested on install day. After my disconnect switch was flipped off, only my inverter is connected. In the app I can see my live and historical energy usage but it’s only logging from the grid of course. It shows my Powerwalls at 0% and offline (I think they were at 50%~ before system disconnect at the end of my install). They left the power switches of each Powerwall turned on, and the breakers in my gateway are open; only my main disconnect is off.

I’m curious to see if there are any issue once I try to power the system on fully after I get PTO from my utility company. My county inspection was done virtually and completed/passed within 1.5 business days after install. I have no clue if my utility company has been contacted yet about PTO, but everything else has happened far quicker than I expected having only ordered the system in the middle of May!

• Informative
Thanks for the info.

I just remembered that my Backup Gateway 2 was connected to my home’s network (wifi, just like my PW+ inverter) while the system was being tested on install day. After my disconnect switch was flipped off, only my inverter is connected. In the app I can see my live and historical energy usage but it’s only logging from the grid of course. It shows my Powerwalls at 0% and offline (I think they were at 50%~ before system disconnect at the end of my install). They left the power switches of each Powerwall turned on, and the breakers in my gateway are open; only my main disconnect is off.

I’m curious to see if there are any issue once I try to power the system on fully after I get PTO from my utility company. My county inspection was done virtually and completed/passed within 1.5 business days after install. I have no clue if my utility company has been contacted yet about PTO, but everything else has happened far quicker than I expected having only ordered the system in the middle of May!
Your Backup Gateway 2 is on your network? I only have my lead Powerwall+ inverter on my network... Odd. They left all of my breakers and switched on, so even without PTO my solar is generating power during the day. I brought this up to them several times and they told me to leave it alone as they are working on it remotely and need it on to remotely test and troubleshoot.

My Powerwalls showed they were working during the install, but I expect they have them disabled on the account until PTO is granted. Seems odd that my solar isnt also restricted but I wont complain about it lowered my bills and giving some extra energy back to the grid.

• Informative
I just had a Powerwall installed and the manufacture date was Nov 2nd, 2020 and it is model 1092170 and not 3012170. I am all over them about why I got such an old battery when there is a waiting list for batteries from demand being higher than supply. I am being told that they just get what is sent from the warehouse and batteries do not just sit around gathering dust, yet mine is rather old.

I am also being told by the installer that their Tesla supplier is telling them nobody gets the 3012170 model except for a few special test cases. None of this adds up since batteries produced after November of last year are supposed to be the new model.

Does anyone have the 3012170 model that is not a special test case? Anyone around Fort Worth/Dallas?

• Informative
Your Backup Gateway 2 is on your network? I only have my lead Powerwall+ inverter on my network... Odd. They left all of my breakers and switched on, so even without PTO my solar is generating power during the day. I brought this up to them several times and they told me to leave it alone as they are working on it remotely and need it on to remotely test and troubleshoot.

My Powerwalls showed they were working during the install, but I expect they have them disabled on the account until PTO is granted. Seems odd that my solar isnt also restricted but I wont complain about it lowered my bills and giving some extra energy back to the grid.
They Powerwall install crew joined the Backup Gateway 2 to my network when they were commissioning stuff. I have 2 new hostname with IP leases from that day with 1 of those still being actively connected (hostname contains the serial number of the inverter that’s part of my Powerwall+). The other 1 matches the serial number or some number on the label in my gateway, the same label with the SSID and p2p password. I don’t know if this was a mistake that they made during the backwards commission they almost did. I guess I’ll find out once I get PTO and can flip my disconnect to ON.

I just had a Powerwall installed and the manufacture date was Nov 2nd, 2020 and it is model 1092170 and not 3012170. I am all over them about why I got such an old battery when there is a waiting list for batteries from demand being higher than supply. I am being told that they just get what is sent from the warehouse and batteries do not just sit around gathering dust, yet mine is rather old.

I am also being told by the installer that their Tesla supplier is telling them nobody gets the 3012170 model except for a few special test cases. None of this adds up since batteries produced after November of last year are supposed to be the new model.

Does anyone have the 3012170 model that is not a special test case? Anyone around Fort Worth/Dallas?
Other than a comment Elon made, is there anything in writing from Tesla about any of this?

Other than a comment Elon made, is there anything in writing from Tesla about any of this?
Anything about the proper way to configure a Powerwall+ and a Backup Gateway 2? Per the first link below, it states the Backup Gateway 2 can connect via WiFi or Ethernet but I do not see how in my Gateway based on the picture.

I've found these webpages:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/Tesla_Backup_Gateway_2_Datasheet_EN-NA.pdf

System Design | Powerwall Support

How Powerwall Works | Powerwall Support

It makes sense that the Powerwalls would need to communicate to the Backup Gateway 2 as it determines where the power sources are coming from to feed your load center/house. I guess what doesnt make sense to me is the Backup Gateway being connected to a WiFi network. There appeared to be a 4 port communication bus inside the Backup Gateway that is communicating to my lead Powerwall.

Picture of my Backup Gateway 2 during the install:
1625148922705.png

Last edited:

I'm also in DFW. I ordered a system with four batteries through a third-party installer. I had the first two installed in April 2021 and am scheduled to receive the remaining two in August (fingers crossed). My first two batteries were also manufactured around November 2020 and are the 3012170 version. Nothing special about my installation as far as I can tell.

• Informative
Anything about the proper way to configure a Powerwall+ and a Backup Gateway 2? Per the first link below, it states the Backup Gateway 2 can connect via WiFi or Ethernet but I do not see how in my Gateway based on the picture.

I've found these webpages:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/Tesla_Backup_Gateway_2_Datasheet_EN-NA.pdf

System Design | Powerwall Support

How Powerwall Works | Powerwall Support

It makes sense that the Powerwalls would need to communicate to the Backup Gateway 2 as it determines where the power sources are coming from to feed your load center/house. I guess what doesnt make sense to me is the Backup Gateway being connected to a WiFi network. There appeared to be a 4 port communication bus inside the Backup Gateway that is communicating to my lead Powerwall.
There is definitely a comm wire(s) between a Powerwall+ and Backup Gateway 2, I remember my Powerwall install crew showing me it inside the inverter/controller (above the PW+).

I disconnected my home from my utility service and closed my disconnect which as I understand it effectively turns on my Backup Gateway 2 which will let the solar and Powerwalls operate. I saw in my Tesla app that my grid was down (outage) and it showed I was in Backup mode. I saw the state of charge of my Powerwalls Which it appears to just show the total SOC; I think the installers explained that part to me. Everything powered in my home was working including AC, which was nice to see. It was the middle of the day with plenty of sunshine. After several minutes, I saw solar production in the app very briefly and then it went away. My Backup Gateway 2 was not broadcasting its SSID. I tried connecting to its SSID anyway and could not connect. All breakers in the gateway were closed/on as they had been since my install day. After 15 minutes of not seeing any real solar production, I opened the PV/ESS disconnect and closed my utility disconnect.

I don’t know why the gateway isn’t broadcasting its SSID. Maybe once it is setup with a Powerwall(+) it cannot be directly interfaced with? It was definitely connected to my network at one point while the installers were doing the initial commissioning, but again they ran into issues and after talking with their tech support they connected the PW+’s inverter/controller to my home network instead.

I also don’t know why I wasn’t having any solar production. I thought I read that the inverter does a test every X minutes to see if solar is able to produce, and then it will turn it on.

• Informative
I'm also in DFW. I ordered a system with four batteries through a third-party installer. I had the first two installed in April 2021 and am scheduled to receive the remaining two in August (fingers crossed). My first two batteries were also manufactured around November 2020 and are the 3012170 version. Nothing special about my installation as far as I can tell.
Would you mind sharing what installer you went with?