Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display format of imported contacts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this have been discussed at length. Searching the forums came up with nothing.

I have successfully imported the contacts from my phone (HTC One). However, the formatting of the phone numbers seems to be US-style. I'm not used to that, and the formatting prevents me from quickly recognizing the numbers while driving.

In Norway, land line numbers are typically formatted like this: +47 22 22 22 22 (ok, do not call that number unless you want to order a pizza), while mobile numbers are like this: +47 999 99 999. (+47 is the country code and is of course not always present)

Having imported the contacts into my TMS, the numbers will be presented like this: (+472) 222-2222 and (+479) 999-9999. If the country code is not part of the number in my phone, they are like this: (222) 222-22. I would love it if Tesla made it possible to display the phone numbers either using the "national standard" shown above, or a more simple number without spaces, parenthesis and dash.

One more request I have when it comes to imported contacts, is that it is possible to also order the list of contacts by first name - not only by last name like now.

Finally, I think the time the contact is displayed when you select it using the wheel is far too short. I do not have time to sort out the us-style numbers, and before I figure it out the list disappears :tongue: And then I have to start from the beginning.....

Last edited:
I work internationally and the most challenging thing for me is knowing how to format phone numbers so I simply run all the numbers together, excepting the country code. The worst is knowing when to dial a leading number (such as zero in the UK).

The differentiation between mobile and landline formatting in Norway is interesting; localization is a bear for this type of thing. I agree with the option of having "unformatted" numbers as an option.

Yeah Yagi,

It looks like the MS is defaulting to the American standard for phone numbers. I would think that the solution would be for Tesla to take your recommondation and use a more simple number without spaces, parenthesis and dash, as it might be hard to format numbers in all of the different international methods.

Edit: Or just what JohnQ said.

Last edited:
I know who to contact at TM for service-related stuff, and where to call for roadside assistance (hoping I do not ever have to do that :tongue: ), but where should I send suggestions for improvements like the ones described in this thread? :confused:

Used plain lowercase language in the title - nothing 911-ish ;) And this afternoon I got phone calls from TWO different people in TM that wanted to follow up on my suggestions. I also mentioned that you can't mute the sound while in reverse, and that I would like also the front parking sensors to be enabled while in reverse. They promised to take it further.

One of them (calling from The Netherlands) even apologized for the fact that I do not get a response when trying to contact the Oslo office. They are allegedly swamped these days.