Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display goes black on 2019.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been driving the new 8.4 update for a few days. Today, the Console display went totally black. No reboot, just nothing, and music stopped. I waited about a minute and still nothing. It's like it shut down but the car still functioned, I think.

The IC display still worked, but I could not reboot by holding the scroll wheels. I was only able to reboot the Console display with holding down the buttons above scroll wheels (which isn't how that works) and the IC display glitched without rebooting.

Temperatures was in the 50s, and I didn't do or experience anything unusual beforehand. I was not in AP mode. The music didn't come back on without pushing pause and then pushing play.

Anyone else on this version having this issue?

yea, this has been a problem reported by others. Maybe you were just a bit too impatient when pressing the scroll wheels. It could take up to a couple minutes in some cases. It was probably already rebooting by the time you pressed the buttons above the scroll wheels which I can assure you they will not cause a reboot.

Happened with me yesterday, while driving. It came back itself. And it is safe while driving, even my NOA did not get interrupted. Climate control and music did stopped. After that event the car cannot stream, I got new firmware today, but decided to hold as I have SC appointment tomorrow and want them to look.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Have the same issue since I got 2019.8.4 on Tuesday and 2019.8.5 pushed from the Service Center on Friday.
It reboots several times a day which is pretty annoying. They told me it’s a known issue and should be fixed with the next update... (we will see)

That’s for our Model X 100D, AP 2.5, MCU1

Happened to me today after an 80 mile trip as I was getting off the highway. Music got stuck at first, could change with my phone. Probably 30 seconds later, both screens just go black. Middle one comes back with a T logo then goes black again. I pulled over and put on hazards, then everything came back - probably 2 minutes total. Car still drove fine, just couldn't tell my speed. Definitely interesting, a little scary. Seems like it's a known issue. Glad I searched.