Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The left side (which I now know is called the instrument cluster) never goes dark when I do that although the touchscreen does. I also tried the "deep" method where you enter the car, close the doors and go to Controls>Safety and Security>Power Off. Then don't touch anything for 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Can you bring up the selected display on the right side using the right scroll wheel? If so, you may have a defect requiring service. Does your car have MCU1? I think the instrument cluster does not reset on the "earlier" cars. The power off reset you performed should have taken care of that though.

Upvote 0
@MartyL - Glad you have your problem solved, but regarding doing the reset of the instrument cluster, MCU1 works different from MCU2.

On an MCU2 setup, doing the double scroll wheel will reset both the main display and the instrument panel (IP) at the same time. This is because the Instrument panel is actually a slave display that runs off of the main MCU2 processor. I'm guessing you may still have MCU1 since you commented that the IP never goes blank when you reset the main screen.

For the older MCU1 setup, the IP has it's own processor and is reset separately from the main display. That's why it has a separate reset from the main screen. You reset the IP by pressing and holding the two buttons ABOVE the scroll wheels. Just press both simultaneously and hold until you see the IP go black and let go. Does not need to be in conjunction with resetting the main screen and do not need to worry about brake pedal, door open/closed, etc.

Upvote 0