Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distortion in windshield on new Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lease is expiring on my 2016 MX and I just took delivery on Saturday on a new long range MX. Virtually identical to my first one. Overall it is definitely an improvement in many ways, but shortly after leaving the Tesla store, I noticed what looked like distortions in part of the windshield when I moved my head and looked through different areas. At first I thought it might have been my glasses, so I took them off and at first didn't see it. But now I have no doubt it is true.

Looking through the left side of the windshield about a quarter of the way up from the dash and a few inches to the right of the driver's side pillar, it's as if you are looking through the kind of glass you'd find in a very old house or old bottle--the shape of what you are looking at gets noticeably distorted as you move your eyes or head. There is also what appears to be a little horizontal ripple about 1/3 up from the dash directly in the driver's line of sight. I haven't looked in other spots, but the distortion on the left is quite noticeable and the line is less noticeable but unquestionably present. Has anyone heard of this? I remember the old "ghosting" issue, but this is different. It's an obvious defect in the glass.

So my dilemma is this. I don't have much doubt they would replace the windshield if that is what I wanted, but that is almost certainly a major job and I worry the car will never be the same afterwards. I'm well within the 7 day return period and could just start over. What do you think?