Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disturbance at super charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooooooo.....I have to chime in here. Ready for flaming......

"ICEing vs Reverse ICEing" real world example for those that care.

Our Local station....in the early morning EVERYONE is headed to work between 5:30 and 8:00 AM....a school is across the street so it gets VERY congested. We all need to get to work/school etc....I get it.

Parking is at a premium whether filling up or simply getting a "quick in and out" from the local spot near where I live.

Just a definition: "Reverse ICEing" where a Tesla decides to park at a gas pump. REALLY? Yup it happens.

Being a Tesla owner, I respect the fact that OBVIOUSLY my truck cannot "fill up at a supercharger"......but, when an EV of ANY brand is parked at a GAS/DIESEL pump...I get annoyed. Not to the point where I confront someone, but it does perturb me. I get over it easily. It happens a TON when folks occupy a Diesel spot when their vehicle can only take gasoline.

Sooooo.....this past week as an example:

1. ALL SPOTS FILLED (parking)
2. Two Teslas are parked "fueling" at pumps
3. NO SPOTS AVAILABLE (fueling) most folks are actively fueling or grabbing a coffee
4. One of EIGHT spots at the Superchargers are filled. YES, only one!

I elected to park in a Tesla position ALL the way at the other end of the charging ports. NOTE: I am VERY respectful of charging situations (remember I am an owner) and I was in and out in less than 3 minutes...how do I know? Same song playing in the truck ;).

The Tesla owner NOT from Colorado decided to take the time and effort to block me from leaving. After a "nice" (sarcasm intended) discussion I was allowed to leave. This could have escalated but I elected to not create an "issue" that wasn't necessary.

Could I have waited for a spot? YES!

Could I have parked in a Handicap spots that were open? Most certainly, but that is not what I would ever do as I have family members that DO need those spots.

Could I have "confronted" an EV person that was parked at a GAS/Diesel pump? Yes! But I ask ...what would that have accomplished?

As an aside: How many folks have taken a Diesel spot when another Gas spot was open? Did you even realize it?

This debate has gone on for years, yet NO ONE gets so upset they have to confront someone about it. Perhaps in non-rural areas this isn't an issue...but it is something that occurs.

Do I get frustrated....obviously certainly I do.

The bottom line is both EV owners and ICE owners need to have a bit of mutual respect.

Courtesy goes BOTH ways whether one owns an EV or an ICE vehicle.

Where are all these mythical EVs blocking gas pumps? 😆 Give me a break.

I'm all for the law catching up to reality on this issue and dealing with infantile man-children blocking public infrastructure to make some mouth breathing political point. Vigilante justice isn't the way, nor is confronting said infants who are obviously out there seeking provocation. I made a joke upthread (which based on the reactions apparently "triggered" a bunch of people because I mentioned guns), but to be honest it's not really a joke. This country is full of angry violent wackjobs just looking for an excuse to polish their barrel.
Read my previous post.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The Supercharger Idle fee should also apply to ICE vehicles:

"If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees only apply when a Supercharger station is at 50% capacity or more. Idle fees double when the station is at 100% capacity."

Of course, cars that are not Teslas are not registered with the app, so there would need to be cameras to scan the plates (technology that already exists) and computers to do the monitoring. There would need to be signs explaining the policy. Hopefully these cases are rare, but maybe it will reduce tension knowing that there is a policy in place.

Our Local station....in the early morning EVERYONE is headed to work between 5:30 and 8:00 AM....a school is across the street so it gets VERY congested. We all need to get to work/school etc....I get it.

Parking is at a premium whether filling up or simply getting a "quick in and out" from the local spot near where I live.

Just a definition: "Reverse ICEing" where a Tesla decides to park at a gas pump. REALLY? Yup it happens.

Being a Tesla owner, I respect the fact that OBVIOUSLY my truck cannot "fill up at a supercharger"......but, when an EV of ANY brand is parked at a GAS/DIESEL pump...I get annoyed. Not to the point where I confront someone, but it does perturb me. I get over it easily. It happens a TON when folks occupy a Diesel spot when their vehicle can only take gasoline.

3. NO SPOTS AVAILABLE (fueling) most folks are actively fueling or grabbing a coffee

I elected to park in a Tesla position ALL the way at the other end of the charging ports. NOTE: I am VERY respectful of charging situations (remember I am an owner) and I was in and out in less than 3 minutes...how do I know? Same song playing in the truck ;).

The Tesla owner NOT from Colorado decided to take the time and effort to block me from leaving. After a "nice" (sarcasm intended) discussion I was allowed to leave. This could have escalated but I elected to not create an "issue" that wasn't necessary.

Could I have parked in a Handicap spots that were open? Most certainly, but that is not what I would ever do as I have family members that DO need those spots.

Could I have "confronted" an EV person that was parked at a GAS/Diesel pump? Yes! But I ask ...what would that have accomplished?

As an aside: How many folks have taken a Diesel spot when another Gas spot was open? Did you even realize it?

This debate has gone on for years, yet NO ONE gets so upset they have to confront someone about it. Perhaps in non-rural areas this isn't an issue...but it is something that occurs.

The bottom line is both EV owners and ICE owners need to have a bit of mutual respect.

The situations you describe are not unreasonable. The store is extremely busy and all spots are at a premium. That is not at all the situation I am describing. (Here come the thumbs down)

• Informative
The Supercharger Idle fee should also apply to ICE vehicles:

"If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees only apply when a Supercharger station is at 50% capacity or more. Idle fees double when the station is at 100% capacity."

Of course, cars that are not Teslas are not registered with the app, so there would need to be cameras to scan the plates (technology that already exists) and computers to do the monitoring. There would need to be signs explaining the policy. Hopefully these cases are rare, but maybe it will reduce tension knowing that there is a policy in place.
I’d love that policy. It would end all this.

• Funny
I figured it’s worth mentioning that six out of the eight charging stalls have signs saying 15 minute general parking. Only two stalls are marked as Vehicle Charging Only.

Palm Coast Supercharger | PlugShare
You do make a point there.

I just don’t want Tesla owners giving the rest of us a bad name. Be the change you want to see.

I figured it’s worth mentioning that six out of the eight charging stalls have signs saying 15 minute general parking. Only two stalls are marked as Vehicle Charging Only.

Palm Coast Supercharger | PlugSha
And there are no signs restricting me from parking at the fuel island while I take a walk and shop, but I don’t do it.

Yes, except for the curbside pickup lane there are laws. I never claimed ICE ing was against the law. At least not at this time.

Again, if this stuff freighters you by all means stand by and say nothing, and if all stalls are full or blocked quietly wait away from the area until you feel it’s safe to charge.
I never mentioned fear or safety, a prior post mentioned ICE cars should get 4 flat tires- now which guy is breaking the law?
Common sense and cool heads.

Tesla owners are not immune from also being Dicks

1665091004341.png