Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Actuator Swap on Tesla Model 3 Frunk That Failed to Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case this helps someone...

In the midst of a week-long road trip the frunk on our 2019 Model 3 failed to open. We found a hack to press in the parking button. That seemed to work for a day or two. Then the funk release started to work intermittently and the parking hack no longer worked. No error messages on the screen or in service mode. At that point I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software problem

When we returned home I found this video that showed how to use a string to trigger the frunk release and replace the actuator. His problem was exactly like mine. Luckily, the frunk opened, for what may have been for the last time, to allow me to attach the string. I could hear the actuator on the passenger side working. The primary release on the driver side was silent.

Tesla sold me a FRUNK LATCH ACTUATOR PRIMARY RELEASE(1098789-00-D). My car had a rev C module.

Happily, this was an easy swap as I am out of warranty. The part was $106 plus tax.