Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY ambient lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2C8F9EF8-9E7F-441A-87A0-BB05E02EF4D9.png

I’ve tapped into the door pocket lights to run el wire on the doors but I’m wondering what the cleanest way to run the light from the top trim gap in the door down to the Alcantara insert? I could just do the top trim gap but I like the Alcantara outline better.

This is the gap between the top and Alcantara that I’m trying to make look cleaner
2E42CBFD-6413-49F0-AEF2-1C87707A6C22.jpeg

Top trim gap line On top, door insert outline bottom. It looks fine but I like the curved Alcantara outline better:

86DEB2DE-2F37-4135-B224-7E51AE6B0AA3.jpeg
E1483646-EDE0-4FCC-B6BB-F97E163BFB13.jpeg

Reactions: Matsayz
I’ve tapped into the door pocket lights to run el wire on the doors but I’m wondering what the cleanest way to run the light from the top trim gap in the door down to the Alcantara insert? I could just do the top trim gap but I like the Alcantara outline better.

This is the gap between the top and Alcantara that I’m trying to make look cleaner
View attachment 543517

Top trim gap line On top, door insert outline bottom. It looks fine but I like the curved Alcantara outline better:

View attachment 543515View attachment 543516
Could you please post the link on where you got that wire from? Also, I don't have the pocket light in my door but I have the puddle light, is that what you tapped into for both the doors and dash? Thanks again

Could you please post the link on where you got that wire from? Also, I don't have the pocket light in my door but I have the puddle light, is that what you tapped into for both the doors and dash? Thanks again
I used amazon because they come much quicker but you can get them cheaper on aliexpress

El wire- I like white because I think it looks more stock but that’s just me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7V14CQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I used these T taps to connect them to Ambient lighting12v power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7S3DL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zv0XEbXMHFGFK

For the dash light I tapped into vc_left in the drivers footwell and for the doors it was the pocket light.

Do you have a SR+ or 2020 model that’s missing the pocket lights? I believe some cars have the door pocket wiring that you can still tap into but the newest ones may no longer even have that. I’m not sure if tapping into the puddle light would work as I already had the aftermarket AO replacements there and it would likely be too much power draw and cutout.

• Love
Reactions: Posti101
That looks really good. Can they be operated using the screen? Or do they light up when you open the car and then dim down once you select drive?

Thanks.
Can be controlled with the on screen brightness control and behave like the stock ambient lighting. I didn’t want to turn on another device or have an extra remote like some of the much easier solutions.

I used amazon because they come much quicker but you can get them cheaper on aliexpress

El wire- I like white because I think it looks more stock but that’s just me: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7V14CQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I used these T taps to connect them to Ambient lighting12v power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7S3DL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zv0XEbXMHFGFK

For the dash light I tapped into vc_left in the drivers footwell and for the doors it was the pocket light.

Do you have a SR+ or 2020 model that’s missing the pocket lights? I believe some cars have the door pocket wiring that you can still tap into but the newest ones may no longer even have that. I’m not sure if tapping into the puddle light would work as I already had the aftermarket AO replacements there and it would likely be too much power draw and cutout.

what is the vc left in the drivers foot well? Also my pocket lights in the door Look like this, I’m assuming I don’t have it then. I am still wanting to do the dash light if anything.

Attachments

• 6B579456-AA40-4940-8E27-4CF480EC43A0.jpeg
    6B579456-AA40-4940-8E27-4CF480EC43A0.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 72
what is the vc left in the drivers foot well? Also my pocket lights in the door Look like this, I’m assuming I don’t have it then. I am still wanting to do the dash light if anything.
You will have to remove the panel to the left of the brake pedal in front of the driver-side door and t-tap into the red and black wires there. You can't determine if you have the door pocket light wiring unless you open of the door panel which is very easy to do, if you wanted to check. I'll probably do a longer post on the lighting mods I've done once I finish the other door (waiting on some supplies)....