Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY ceramic products available in Aus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the DIY ceramic coating doesn’t last as long as the professional coating systems but that could just be marketing. Autoglym is one of my favourite brands but I have never used their ceramic coating products.
As to using it on upholstery, I would not do it unless it specifically tells you in the instructions. The page you linked to only refers to paint application so I would seriously caution against using on upholstery. In any case you will find that the white ‘Vegan leather‘ is surprisingly easy to keep clean.
I had ceramic coating applied professionally at the same time I had PPF installed. I bought a DIY kit sometime later to apply to my wheels. Both worked well for some time but my car is now 8.5 years old and I’m soon having some of the PPF replaced and will have the ceramic coating re-applied at the same time.

Reactions: Jack23
The coating from supercheap is supercheap because it only lasts 12 months. I proper coating will last 6+years. Unless you are doing paint correction first it’s not going to look great. If you visit online store waxit you can buy decent ceramic coatings, as well as upholstery specific ceramic coatings. They also have much better quality cleaning products than you can get at supercheap.
Also tesla do not make paint, they apply industry standard acrylic paint. The car brand is not relevant to a ceramic coating.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Jack23
I got my Model 3 done by a detailer using 'Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light' about 2 years ago, and it's still going strong.

I recently picked up a BYD Atto 3, and decided to try applying the same product myself. The process is straightforward and difficult to screw up, but it is time consuming (you need to wash, clay, possible polish and decontaminate before applying). For a long afternoon spent, I think it's worth it. Keep in mind you can't drive the car for 12hrs minimum after applying.

DIY meant about $200 worth of products vs $1k+ from a detailer.

Reactions: mike_j and Jack23
I got my Model 3 done by a detailer using 'Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light' about 2 years ago, and it's still going strong.

I recently picked up a BYD Atto 3, and decided to try applying the same product myself. The process is straightforward and difficult to screw up, but it is time consuming (you need to wash, clay, possible polish and decontaminate before applying). For a long afternoon spent, I think it's worth it. Keep in mind you can't drive the car for 12hrs minimum after applying.

DIY meant about $200 worth of products vs $1k+ from a detailer.
My detailer took just under 2 days to prepare and apply ceramic to my model S. This included the removal of all of the factory and delivery scratches. I suppose that bit is optional. He commented that black takes longer. He did the work in my garage so I could see he was working hard. There is no way you could do just as good a job in a long afternoon. He also showed me how most people screw up by applying too much product and letting it set before buffing off, causing cloudiness to the paint. As I saw it, 1.5 days to clean and prep the car, 1 hour to apply the tiny bottle of product.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Jack23
If you want a DIY one that should last a year, look up the meguiars one. It's on special at repco at the Moment. It should last a year. I did my own. I bought nv car care evo coating. Reasonable to put on after a light polish.

I used Kamikaze Miyabi Coat 2.0 on a Kona EV.

The process was: wash and dry the car thoroughly, clay every inch of the car's paint (watch a video or two about how to do this, it's not rocket surgery), apply the Miyabi Coat using the sponge supplied and suede cloth (buy several spare cloths), allow to dry briefly and buff off with a good microfibre towel (have several of these available).

I didn't do paint correction as the paint was in good condition and I am not that sensitive to swirl marks in paint (they also barely show up in white paint anyway).

I thought the result was good. The aim is to make washing easier and protect the paint from sun and chemical damage. It won't do anything for impact damage. I can't vouch for longevity, but am skeptical of the claims made by the pros (many of whom seem to charge a lot more for Teslas than they do for protecting cheaper cars, even though the process is the same).

It's possible that the pros who use clean rooms and infrared lamps, etc will do a better job, but someone working in your own garage is using the same equipment you could use. It does take some time and attention to detail, but it was a nice break from my more cerebral day job.

I tried a cheap ($50) spray-on ceramic paint protection from Supacheap once. It was a bit easier to apply (not much), but only lasted about 3 months in a north Qld summer.

I used the Miyabi coat for the wheels and trim, but would never use it on the seats. The reason to get extra suade cloths is that the liquid sets into glass-like shards in the cloth (and would scratch the paint if you rubbed it onto the car). If you take a break, you need a new cloth when you restart. That same process is no good for a seat you want to sit on.

There are interior-specific ceramic coatings, but I don't have experience of them yet.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating DIY on my new (2 day old) MYP.

I Thoroughly washed the car and dried it with microfibre towels. Then applied two coats 24 hours apart of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.
Did not clay bar because there were no contaminants when I tested the surfaces with a thin plastic bag. Nor did I do any paint correction as the paint was new and in good condition. There were no visible swirl marks under direct sunlight.

I am very happy with the results. YouTube testers have shown the product to last for 12 months+

Easy to apply and very cost effective. Might have to repeat after 12 months.

* I wash the car with a pressure washer and foam cannon (contactless wash).

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
My detailer took just under 2 days to prepare and apply ceramic to my model S. This included the removal of all of the factory and delivery scratches. I suppose that bit is optional. He commented that black takes longer. He did the work in my garage so I could see he was working hard. There is no way you could do just as good a job in a long afternoon. He also showed me how most people screw up by applying too much product and letting it set before buffing off, causing cloudiness to the paint. As I saw it, 1.5 days to clean and prep the car, 1 hour to apply the tiny bottle of product.
Yeah black would definitely need more finesse. My Atto is blue.

I did about as good of a job as I imagine would be possible. Where I saved some time was only polishing panels that I could find scratches/marring/imperfections on - which wasn't much (like 3). Polishing the entire car would of course take longer. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I could possibly spend 1.5 days doing.

The application of ceramic coating itself is the easy part - I probably did it in 1hr - 1.5hrs. Washing, clay and decontamination were about an hour each too. Add another hour for drying and mucking around and that's it.

I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating DIY on my new (2 day old) MYP.

I Thoroughly washed the car and dried it with microfibre towels. Then applied two coats 24 hours apart of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.
Did not clay bar because there were no contaminants when I tested the surfaces with a thin plastic bag. Nor did I do any paint correction as the paint was new and in good condition. There were no visible swirl marks under direct sunlight.

I am very happy with the results. YouTube testers have shown the product to last for 12 months+

Easy to apply and very cost effective. Might have to repeat after 12 months.

* I wash the car with a pressure washer and foam cannon (contactless wash).
Make sure you keep topping it with something, like the wet wax. Without that it won't last. I used it on a few cars and it lasted 2-3 months max. Turtle wax did a great job of marketing the product on YouTube.

Reactions: Tessy Sam
Make sure you keep topping it with something, like the wet wax. Without that it won't last. I used it on a few cars and it lasted 2-3 months max. Turtle wax did a great job of marketing the product on YouTube.
Yeah, YouTube seems to be full of 'paid influences'.

Thanks for the tip. I will watch out for it wearing off. I will post here if I see it wearing off. Seven weeks in it seems fine, still using the pressure washer and foam cannon.

I really don't mind having to re-apply the coating if/when it is needed but might pick a different DIY ceramic coating next time.