Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Detailers: What's your go-to Paint Protectant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want temporary protection that offers deep shine, get a nice wax like Collinite 845, Dodo Juice, Blackfire or Wolfgang. If you want better life, use a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 or Blackfire. As far as nano coatings go, probably the easiest to apply by consumers are Chemical Guys Second Skin Hybrid or Pinnacle Black Label. Both are expensive, especially Chemical Guys, which is around $90. After that, there is DP paint coating; this is simple in theory, but it flashes very quickly. My personal favorite is Gtechniq C1 topped with EXO v2. I found the application of this to require a bit of experience, but it really is not that difficult. There is Cquartz, and many people like this as well. 22PLE is another great nano coating. For the professional, there is CQuartz Finest and OptiCoat (although the average person can buy Opticoat, you probably better have a professional apply it).

Products like Zaino and Glare are overrated, IMO.

There are a couple spray-on/wash off coatings: Permanon and Hydro2. I tried Permanon and wasn't happy with the durability. Hydro2 is a bit better. Both very easy to apply and are idiot-proof.

I personally think you should put on a nano coating. For me, Gtechniq C1+EXOv2 is the winning combo. My wife's car will get Pinnacle Black Label; I'd consider Gtechniq, but the application is time consuming.

Is this the right stuff?

41UoCnpPHDL.jpg

Gtechniq C1 is the actual coating that is applied with a small gauze pad; you apply the coating, spread it around with a microfiber and then buff it off. Gtechniq C1.5 Silo Seal is more or less a maintenance spray that you can put on top of C1 to add to the durability and hydrophobicity. C1 is very durable and hydrophobic, but many people will apply EXOv2 (or the original EXO) on top of C1 to add even more hydrophobicity.

Here's a test a few hours after I applied C1 and EXOv2.

Here's another video of how C1/EXO v2 and G1 (glass) really bead the water. Rainy and windy day on the top of our parking garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only Chemical Guys sealant worth the effort is Black Light. If you're into Chemical Guys, then give that one a run. Top it with Collinite 845.

Have you tried the M-Seal? It's a newer product and is "supposedly" better (according to some) and doesn't contain any cleaners or fillers (which I don't need since it's a brand new car). I'll probably use Black Light after the paint has a little more wear on it.

Last edited:
This weekend I washed, clayed and paint sealed my S using Griot's products. It was the first time I have ever used a paint sealant before and I was really impressed with the results. It was much easier than waxing. I know the Griot's stuff is considered mid-level so I'm interested in what the prosumers use.

This weekend I washed, clayed and paint sealed my S using Griot's products. It was the first time I have ever used a paint sealant before and I was really impressed with the results. It was much easier than waxing. I know the Griot's stuff is considered mid-level so I'm interested in what the prosumers use.

I think GG products are fine for consumers, and I think a lot of prosumers use them as well.

I believe they are not used as much because they haven't been as innovative as many of the others out there.

They do make (or just sell) an excellent dual action polisher that has a lifetime guarantee, so many use that as well.

As far as prosumers, many use Meguair, Menzerna, Pinnacle, Blackfire, Auto Finesse, Dodo Juice and Wolfgang waxes and sealants. Other producers use coatings.

For myself, I have used the following waxes: Mothers, Meguairs, Collinite, and GG. I'm not much of a wax fan.

In terms of sealants, I have used Blackfire, Menzerna, Wolfgang and GG.

Coatings: Gtechniq, Permanon and Pinnacle.
Waxes and sealants are pretty easy to apply and will get you great results - - thin is in. Apply thin.

Coatings take a little experience. I'm comfortable with the application of things like Gtechniq or Pinnacle, but I don't think I would do Opti-Coat myself. I'd leave that for the professionals.

I just washed my baby for the first time yesterday. Used my new foam gun and it worked like a charm. I did find a couple of factory installed scratches on the hood, but I managed to polish them out somewhat. I only had Z5 (Zaino swirl remover) to work with but it made them better. I'll probably get some real polish and try to polish them out at some point but for now I'm happy enough that they don't jump out at me.

I followed up with two coats of Zaino Z2 Show Car Polish (sealant) with their Gloss Enhancer between coats. I left the last thin coat on overnight and I'm about to go out there and buff it out. I haven't tried any of the newer stuff out there, but Zaino still does a very nice job. It was like a mirror with one coat, I can't wait to see how it looks with two coats (and three coats on the hood and fenders). Either way, I'm having a good time and my paint is looking the better for it. I'd forgotten how enjoyable this is. :)