Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Falcon Door Adjustment/Alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone out there can help me or send me the Service bulletin from toolbox software. When going through the manual there is a note section "If the rear door requires adjustment, refer to TN-16-11-002, "Adjusting the Rear Doors (Falcon Wing Doors) on Model X" for instructions." When I click on the link it won't let me see the full procedure. Would appreciate any help on this as it seems to be an issue on a number of Model X.

I work on cars all the time and am not afraid to pull some of the interior apart to get it to look right. Don't want to have to take it to the SC and wait weeks for an appointment and waste hours of my day.

Reactions: m5james
Has anyone ever adjusted the falcon wing doors by themselves at home? Reading through the doc, it doesn't sound too challenging, but i've worked on enough stuff to realize what's written down might sound simple, but in real life when you are doing it, the fine adjustments may not be that easy to get precisely to the position that one would want.

I was adjusting mine yesterday. It is not very difficult to do just takes two people and a lot of open and closing. Still couldn't get mine to where I want them. You need to remove all the trim covers on the upper side door and top roof piece as well as all the brackets holding those trim pieces on. Once that is removed you take out the falcon wing glass roof. Once you disconnect all 4 struts you can adjust the door but it gets heavy so you'll need two people to open and close it as well as prop it up in the upright position. Getting it to align how you want and stay in that position is the difficult part.

Let me know if you find anything that helps! The Service manual doesn't show the door adjustment service bulletin or at least it wasn't working for me.

I'm slowly reading through the PDF but it still comes off as slightly intimidating for a first time...and I've done engine swaps and conversions :D All my panel gaps and alignment are great for the most part but my drivers side FWD is touching the spine glass panel when open and it's making me nervous opening that door in the cold (Seattle's been in the 20's to 30's lately) and I've told the kids to avoid that side since I don't want a hardened/cold gasket breaking that glass.

Has anyone here adjusted for just that only? Adjusting for the Z axis via the primary hinges at the spine on page 13 illustrate what I need to adjust, page 19 has an image with a red arrow that shows my exact issue and pages 51-54; accessing it is with removing as little as possible is what I'm curious about before I take apart more than needed AND who's done the adjustment by themself.

Last edited:
I'm slowly reading through the PDF but it still comes off as slightly intimidating for a first time...and I've done engine swaps and conversions :D All my panel gaps and alignment are great for the most part but my drivers side FWD is touching the spine glass panel when open and it's making me nervous opening that door in the cold (Seattle's been in the 20's to 30's lately) and I've told the kids to avoid that side since I don't want a hardened/cold gasket breaking that glass.
FWIW, the Spline Appliqué on top, is not glass, it is pretty thick plastic . So maybe not quite as urgent. I drilled through mine on my 2018, to mount a rooftop antenna (Amateur Radio) near the rear of the vehicle.

Has anyone here adjusted for just that only? Adjusting for the Z axis via the primary hinges at the spine on page 13 illustrate what I need to adjust, page 19 has an image with a red arrow that shows my exact issue and pages 51-54; accessing it is with removing as little as possible is what I'm curious about before I take apart more than needed AND who's done the adjustment by themself.
I want to make that same adjustment as well. The drivers side on mine has a nice gap between the rubber seal and the spine when the door is open. The passenger side presses against it. I'm not real happy with that.

FWIW, the Spline Appliqué on top, is not glass, it is pretty thick plastic . So maybe not quite as urgent. I drilled through mine on my 2018, to mount a rooftop antenna (Amateur Radio) near the rear of the vehicle.
I thought I'd read or seen an image saying it's glass and how one has broken on someone here. I've had the kids avoid using the drivers side FWD in the meantime either way.

I want to make that same adjustment as well. The drivers side on mine has a nice gap between the rubber seal and the spine when the door is open. The passenger side presses against it. I'm not real happy with that.

That will eventually ruin the seal. Remove the lower garnish and then roof cover (inside). Remove 1 10 mm nut near the door and one near the spine and look at the alignment of the bolts of the glass that go through the metal roof frame. The holes are way oversized allowing you to move the glass roof some. If they're centered, then you can move about 3 mm in any direction. If this is not enough, then you must:

1. In addition to the stuff I mentioned above, remove the 3 roof brackets that hold the interior cover on.
  2. Remove all 10 nuts holding the glass roof on.
  3. Open FWD window and push up from inside to lift the roof carefully. It's only like 5 lbs or less.
  4. Prop the door up with an 80" shop hoist.
  5. Remove both primary struts (see service manual for all the steps).
  6. Manually lower the door.
  7. Remove secondary struts while door is outward. The manual sucks on this as does the TN doc. You must remove secondary struts while the door is open outward and re-install the same way.
  8. Witness mark primary hinge bolts.
  9. Loosen primary hinges on roof.
  10. Move door and roof out.
  11. Tighten hinges (24 nm)
  12. Witness mark secondary hinge bolts.
  13. Loosen secondary hinges on roof.
  14. Move door only in. i.e. you basically want to move the roof out keeping the door in the same place.
  15. Tighten secondary hinges (30 nm).
  16. Close door manually by pushing in so latch grabs it.
  17. Open door back up. If car goes into calibration mode and won't release latch, use pull cable under speaker cover.
  18. When fitment good, re-install secondary struts. Push open on door from inside while popping onto outside ball(after first doing inside ball near spine).
  19. Lift door all the way back up manually and prop open. Unfortunately the secondary struts don't compress so the door will be a lot higher the second time you need to prop it back up. See photo in this post My FWD door is stuck open due to a botched DIY adjustment
  20. Re-install primary struts.
You could also close the door after removing the secondary struts and leave it closed but you have to get someone to push on on the door on the rear when pushing in on loose hinge because the seals like to push it back out.

For most of this, you can use the service manual. What I really should do is just highlight where the manual is wrong or just missing steps altogether.

I was adjusting mine yesterday. It is not very difficult to do just takes two people and a lot of open and closing. Still couldn't get mine to where I want them. You need to remove all the trim covers on the upper side door and top roof piece as well as all the brackets holding those trim pieces on. Once that is removed you take out the falcon wing glass roof. Once you disconnect all 4 struts you can adjust the door but it gets heavy so you'll need two people to open and close it as well as prop it up in the upright position. Getting it to align how you want and stay in that position is the difficult part.

Let me know if you find anything that helps! The Service manual doesn't show the door adjustment service bulletin or at least it wasn't working for me.

I bought an 80" floor underhoist which is what the service manual recommends.