Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY MCU Replacement software upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car out of guarantee and dead MCU probably as a result of the emmc chip going bad.

Tesla wants $3100 to replace MCU, a way too large sum for such a relative to the error.

So I got my hands on a used MCU. We have successfully replaced VIN and setting from the old car, but the SW mismatch to the IC makes the car really misbehaving, don't drive, don't charge. We have successfully staged an update, but it fails to start, similar to when the 12V is bad (as seen in other threads).

Now we are trying to figure out if someone would know how to utdate MCU/cid outside the car, manually. We do have root and the image of ver 18.50 and we are have been able to stage the upgrade (get the yellow alarmclaock, set time for update and that) but it fails to start as mentioned above. It could be helpful to know how to read the errors that causes it to fail. We are trying to update from ver 17.50 to 18.50. We can connect an IC to the MCU if required in the process.

Why would this not be a public discussion? It's not like he's breaking the law or anything here so I see no reason why this should be a taboo conversation.

Because, Tesla has an awful awful habit of screwing over processes and procedures once they become public, even if it's not for bad / owners rights. They simply do not care, and will shut it down within the software, or change it, just to prevent that knowledge from getting out. It's happened time and time again, there's a reason why nobody talks publicly about these things.

Tesla is only interested in Tesla fixing their cars.

If that's the case lets go PM. That kind of sabotaging their customers cars is not very Elon-like. Instead they can build business model around upgrades. Even DIY upgrades since the rest of the car seems to be as easy as Lego. I estimate I use 10 minutes on the complete dash now.