Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY MS Door Handle Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Install complete. My front passenger door is back up and running. I should just do the two back doors now, but I’m lazy. LOL.

4106FDCE-0502-4EBC-BDFD-6AAE638E2531.jpeg

The kit is outrageously expensive. A few pieces of wires are not enough to add the Tesla luxury tax.

The gear is a few bucks from Tesla...latest version last me a year already.

Most of the vendors think because you own a Tesla..you have money to burn

Last edited:
The kit is outrageously expensive. A few pieces of wires are not enough to add the Tesla luxury tax.

The gear is a few bucks from Tesla...latest version last me a year already.

Most of the vendors think because you own a Tesla..you have money to burn

That actually isn’t true. The upgraded Tesla gear still will break. The wiring harnesses we make are upgraded to never break again. Doing things in small production numbers means it’s expensive and we aren’t making a ton of money on any of the components. It’s really a service to the community vs a 600-1000$ handle replacement when you’re out of warranty. Even our rebuilt handles at $350 with a one year warranty are significantly cheaper than the factory alternative.

Has anyone had an issue where the door keeps opening? Prior to me replacing the microswitch harness and paddle gear my handle went from random opening when presented to constantly opening when presented.. My paddle gear was not broken, but I already had them so I figured I would replace them first. When I removed my handle I found the pressure sensor wires to be totally disconnected from the connector/broken I soldered them back together and heat shrinked the connections. I believe I had 2 separate issues and the pressure sensor is now fixed, however there is either a problem with my door controller or the new microswitches?

Is there an alignment/calibration process for the handle? I've aligned them so the gap is pretty even around the door opening and presents smoothly.

That actually isn’t true. The upgraded Tesla gear still will break. The wiring harnesses we make are upgraded to never break again. Doing things in small production numbers means it’s expensive and we aren’t making a ton of money on any of the components. It’s really a service to the community vs a 600-1000$ handle replacement when you’re out of warranty. Even our rebuilt handles at $350 with a one year warranty are significantly cheaper than the factory alternative.

There is some downward pressure on these prices now. Tesla service is quoting about $500 for Gen3 handles now.
So... you can get a new handle for less than refurbishing a Gen1 handle and keep the Tesla elves happy.

That said, I do like there being options on the market and hope that this service continues.

There is some downward pressure on these prices now. Tesla service is quoting about $500 for Gen3 handles now.
So... you can get a new handle for less than refurbishing a Gen1 handle and keep the Tesla elves happy.

That said, I do like there being options on the market and hope that this service continues.

Thank you. I keep seeing varying prices around the country for the Gen 3 handle. However the Gen 3 handle isn't a permanent fix. The hall effect sensor is an improvement over the microswitches to a degree. They have their own issues and if it loses "calibration" Tesla is the only one who can teach it what "presented" and "open" are. The Gen 2 design was flawed in the quality of components used. Putting the microswitches on a static point would definitely make more sense but with the components we have redesigned and improved upon we have had zero failures and over 1000 kits out in the wild currently.

Thank you. I keep seeing varying prices around the country for the Gen 3 handle. However the Gen 3 handle isn't a permanent fix. The hall effect sensor is an improvement over the microswitches to a degree. They have their own issues and if it loses "calibration" Tesla is the only one who can teach it what "presented" and "open" are. The Gen 2 design was flawed in the quality of components used. Putting the microswitches on a static point would definitely make more sense but with the components we have redesigned and improved upon we have had zero failures and over 1000 kits out in the wild currently.

Oh -- don't get me wrong. Like I said, I'm all-in on the full rebuild kit vs. Gen3. If my handles fail, you'll be the ones I contact to get more robust parts and quality time behind my door panels.

But I know a lot of owners are timid about anything DIY, so for them, they'll be comparing the stress of working on their car vs. new parts installed by ranger/SC. That was my only point.

I wish the DIY culture was stronger with the S/X, but it is what it is. Thank you for helping us.

Oh -- don't get me wrong. Like I said, I'm all-in on the full rebuild kit vs. Gen3. If my handles fail, you'll be the ones I contact to get more robust parts and quality time behind my door panels.

But I know a lot of owners are timid about anything DIY, so for them, they'll be comparing the stress of working on their car vs. new parts installed by ranger/SC. That was my only point.

I wish the DIY culture was stronger with the S/X, but it is what it is. Thank you for helping us.
Thank you. Yea its tough they're not the easiest things to work on and its not a straight plug and play where there is adjustment after the fact etc. I think it'll get better as the used market gets cheaper and more people start to tinker with them.

I think it'll get better as the used market gets cheaper and more people start to tinker with them.

Well-- DAMMIT-- That's what I get for tempting fate. Walked out the car this morning (already running late) and the driver door handle presents, but DOES NOT OPEN. What sort of voodoo magic are you using @EVTuning ?!?!

<sigh> So I guess I'm in for a rebuild kit. Placing the order now... What kind of weird handle karma is this??

If all goes well, I'll write it up on the blog and do some tweets. Have a couple things I want to try before digging in though.

SO ANNOYING. I just finished doing all the brakes and thought I was good now, but NOOOOOOoooooo had to open my mouth and stumble across this thread because my friend had handle troubles.

Maybe it's HIS fault. Hmmm.

• Funny
Reactions: FlyinLow
Well-- DAMMIT-- That's what I get for tempting fate. Walked out the car this morning (already running late) and the driver door handle presents, but DOES NOT OPEN. What sort of voodoo magic are you using @EVTuning ?!?!

<sigh> So I guess I'm in for a rebuild kit. Placing the order now... What kind of weird handle karma is this??

If all goes well, I'll write it up on the blog and do some tweets. Have a couple things I want to try before digging in though.

SO ANNOYING. I just finished doing all the brakes and thought I was good now, but NOOOOOOoooooo had to open my mouth and stumble across this thread because my friend had handle troubles.

Maybe it's HIS fault. Hmmm.
I swear I wasn’t trying to pass any bad energy!

• Funny
Reactions: Newscutter
I swear I wasn’t trying to pass any bad energy!

Figure if I can repair the handle (with your kit) and return it to successful operation with parts that are better than Tesla's-- and for less than the extended warranty's $200 deductible-- then that's still a win. Especially since I don't have the extended warranty.

But what weird timing!

Reactions: EVTuning
The door handles of my 2012 Model S were replaced around 2015. Are those 2nd gen handles?

Has anyone went ahead and also replace their door handle motor gear? (https://evtuning.com/collections/door-handle/products/replacement-door-handle-motor-gear)

For several months the right rear door handle would present itself and sometimes let me open the door if the front passenger door is closed. Very odd behavior.

A couple of weeks ago, the door handle no longer allows me to open the door. I cannot even open the door from the inside using the interior door handle. I understand those are opened by "electrical means". I can still open the door by pulling on the emergency rope hidden by the foot well. Does this sound like an issue with the switches?

The door handles of my 2012 Model S were replaced around 2015. Are those 2nd gen handles?

Has anyone went ahead and also replace their door handle motor gear? (Tesla Model S Replacement Door Handle Motor Gear)

For several months the right rear door handle would present itself and sometimes let me open the door if the front passenger door is closed. Very odd behavior.

A couple of weeks ago, the door handle no longer allows me to open the door. I cannot even open the door from the inside using the interior door handle. I understand those are opened by "electrical means". I can still open the door by pulling on the emergency rope hidden by the foot well. Does this sound like an issue with the switches?

The door handle motor gear is very rare that it fails. It will basically develop a crack and split. In some cases it's cheaper and easier to just buy a used motor than trying to replace the gear itself.

Can you see if the window will go up and down on the door that won't open? A lot of times what we see if the door harness will break at the accordion joint where the door hinge is and subsequently you loose power or the common ground for the entire door. Where the door won't open from inside or outside without using the mechanical release it makes me think you have a bigger problem like either the module in the handle, the master module in the front door or a wiring issue.

• Informative
Reactions: gmontem
The door handle motor gear is very rare that it fails. It will basically develop a crack and split. In some cases it's cheaper and easier to just buy a used motor than trying to replace the gear itself.

Can you see if the window will go up and down on the door that won't open? A lot of times what we see if the door harness will break at the accordion joint where the door hinge is and subsequently you loose power or the common ground for the entire door. Where the door won't open from inside or outside without using the mechanical release it makes me think you have a bigger problem like either the module in the handle, the master module in the front door or a wiring issue.

When I pull on the rear door handle, I see the window roll down for about half a second and then roll back up. All of this happens before I release the door handle.

By the way, I placed an order from you yesterday for the driver side door that won't present itself.

When I pull on the rear door handle, I see the window roll down for about half a second and then roll back up. All of this happens before I release the door handle.

By the way, I placed an order from you yesterday for the driver side door that won't present itself.

Ok based on what you said it sounds like the latch itself may have gone bad and it may not be a handle issue at all. This would make sense why it doesn't work from either outside or inside but works with the mechanical release when you pull it.

I am backed up on the kits and we have a 2nd generation of the microswitch harness hopefully shipping the first week of 2nd week of november. Do you want to hold off for the newer generation?

• Informative
Reactions: gmontem
Ok based on what you said it sounds like the latch itself may have gone bad and it may not be a handle issue at all. This would make sense why it doesn't work from either outside or inside but works with the mechanical release when you pull it.

I am backed up on the kits and we have a 2nd generation of the microswitch harness hopefully shipping the first week of 2nd week of november. Do you want to hold off for the newer generation?

Thank you for the door latch hint. I'll search this forum to see how easy it is to remove and order a replacement part. Something tells me Tesla will make it difficult to order said part.

I can wait for the 2nd gen of micro switches. For now, I will continue to use this workaround.

Reactions: EVTuning
Hello,
I own a TESLA model S 100D which is no longer under warranty.
Date of manufacture (ex-works) August 16, 2017.
The door handle on the driver's side (steering wheel on the left) has just let me go.
I think it was the pivot that gave in because I hear the engine turn a few seconds but the handle does not come out and it makes a rattling noise.
My question is simple:
What generation is my handle on my S model?
Can I fix it myself or are there constraints that make me have to go through TESLA?
Do you have a link where I can only order this part?
Thank you.
Sorry if the translation is bad, I do not speak a word of English but Google is my friend.

Original message in French :

Bonjour,
Je possède une TESLA modèle S 100D qui n'est plus sous garantie.
Date de fabrication (sortie d'usine) 16 août 2017.
La poignée de la porte côté conducteur (volant à gauche) vient de me lâcher.
Je pense que c’est le pivot qui a cédé car j’entends le moteur tourner quelques secondes mais la poignée ne sort pas et cela fait un bruit d’accrochage.
Ma question est simple :
De quelle génération est ma poignée sur mon modèle S ?
Puis-je la réparer moi-même ou bien il y a des contraintes qui font que je dois passer par TESLA ?
Avez-vous un lien où je peux commander uniquement cette pièce ?
Merci.
Désolé si la traduction est mauvaise, je ne parle pas un mot d’Anglais mais Google est mon ami.