Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY MS Door Handle Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple of door handle rebuild kits for my 2014 MS85 on the way. Thanks EV Tuning for making those available. As I prepare, am wondering how to best re-seal or replace the wind barriers in the door when I start putting the door back together. What’s the general community guidance there?

I have some leftover mass loaded vinyl that I can use if I really mess up the existing barriers - does that sound like a bad idea?

Also, what type of adhesive should I use to re-seal the barriers?

Thanks in advance.

Just as a heads up. Until the end of the year all our door handle repair parts are discounted 20-25% thanks to our suppliers giving us an end of year discount to pass on to the customer! Door Handle Might be a good idea to stock up for the next failure. We have revised the microswitch harness and they now have molded ends with a strain relief built in, in addition to the more flexible insulation, and braided heavy gauge conductor.

• Love
Reactions: FlyinLow
I finally fixed my driver side door handle with parts purchased from evtuning. No more bungee cord workaround for me! I'm a happy camper.

I really hate how the car sometimes doesn't want to open/close the windows. I nearly "guillotined" the wires that provide power to the door handle when I tried to slowly open the window to make sure the same wires wouldn't get cut.

There was one connector I couldn't figure out where it came from so I left it alone, thinking it was an extra piece. Found out last night the LED strip in the middle of the door wouldn't turn on. Don't feel like taking out the trim removal tools again just for this.

Edit:

I want to add, performing the actual repair on the door handle was easy, especially with the new video evtuning put out. I used both this video and the one from Rich Rebuilds to help taking apart the door. The most time consuming labor for me was taking apart the door. Took me about 4.5 hrs, excluding breaks in between because of low back problems I have.

I finally fixed my driver side door handle with parts purchased from evtuning. No more bungee cord workaround for me! I'm a happy camper.

I really hate how the car sometimes doesn't want to open/close the windows. I nearly "guillotined" the wires that provide power to the door handle when I tried to slowly open the window to make sure the same wires wouldn't get cut.

There was one connector I couldn't figure out where it came from so I left it alone, thinking it was an extra piece. Found out last night the LED strip in the middle of the door wouldn't turn on. Don't feel like taking out the trim removal tools again just for this.

Edit:

I want to add, performing the actual repair on the door handle was easy, especially with the new video evtuning put out. I used both this video and the one from Rich Rebuilds to help taking apart the door. The most time consuming labor for me was taking apart the door. Took me about 4.5 hrs, excluding breaks in between because of low back problems I have.

Glad you found the new video to be helpful. We waited way too long to make that video.

I'm definitely regretting not getting the DIY kit. My rear passenger handle stopped presenting - took it into Wexford PA SC 3 weeks ago, and they can't get the replacement to work. I've got a 2015 S85D - so it's Gen1 handles. For some reason, they are unable to get new firmware installed. They're working with Tesla engineers. Every day I get a couple of "software update failed" messages from the Tesla app.

I stopped in on Friday to talk to them to see what's going on - and all they can tell me that the update gets to 99% and then fails.

I'm pretty close to asking them to put everything back the way it was, and then trying the DIY install myself.

Pretty frustrating...

I'm definitely regretting not getting the DIY kit. My rear passenger handle stopped presenting - took it into Wexford PA SC 3 weeks ago, and they can't get the replacement to work. I've got a 2015 S85D - so it's Gen1 handles. For some reason, they are unable to get new firmware installed. They're working with Tesla engineers. Every day I get a couple of "software update failed" messages from the Tesla app.

I stopped in on Friday to talk to them to see what's going on - and all they can tell me that the update gets to 99% and then fails.

I'm pretty close to asking them to put everything back the way it was, and then trying the DIY install myself.

Pretty frustrating...

You would have a Gen 2 handle if its a 2015 car. Gen 1 was only 2012 and some of 2013. They're trying to convert you car to the Gen 3 handles which use a hall effect sensor, a separate module and adapter harness. If they do this then they will be the only ones who can calibrate or work on the handle going forward. The DIY kit will work with the handles you have and after 3 years and several thousand kits sold we have yet to have a failure. I would suggest doing as you said and taking the car back and doing the rebuild yourself.

Reactions: FlyinLow
You would have a Gen 2 handle if its a 2015 car. Gen 1 was only 2012 and some of 2013. They're trying to convert you car to the Gen 3 handles which use a hall effect sensor, a separate module and adapter harness. If they do this then they will be the only ones who can calibrate or work on the handle going forward. The DIY kit will work with the handles you have and after 3 years and several thousand kits sold we have yet to have a failure. I would suggest doing as you said and taking the car back and doing the rebuild yourself.

So, I just got a call from Tesla. They "fixed" my car by rebuilding my Gen2 handle as a courtesy. They couldn't get the Gen3 working after trying for 3+ weeks. That's not comforting at all.

In the future, if a door handle breaks, I'm definitely going the DIY route. I'm glad that option exists. Would suck to have a $100K car with doors that can't be opened.

So, I just got a call from Tesla. They "fixed" my car by rebuilding my Gen2 handle as a courtesy. They couldn't get the Gen3 working after trying for 3+ weeks. That's not comforting at all.

In the future, if a door handle breaks, I'm definitely going the DIY route. I'm glad that option exists. Would suck to have a $100K car with doors that can't be opened.

Glad they were able to get you back up and running. Fingers crossed you don't run into this again for a while.

A year later and tons of use by my family (me, my wife and three kids) the two door handles I updated/repaired using EVTuning parts are still working flawlessly.

I intend to repair the back door handles myself The same way if they ever quit working.

Great info. I'm pleased to see so much improvement in DIY possibilities.

My driver's door handle just broke. Went skiing and stayed overnight where it got below freezing, but nothing particularly unusual. I had turned off auto-present, but when I tried to unlock the door in the morning (without preheating), the handle wouldn't open the door. It does fully extend, then beeps, but doesn't retract completely when locked. The inside handle opens the door fine. Given the December 2017 build date, I guess this is gen 3.

Yes, it's pretty dirty from the trip, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Any obvious diagnosis possible from this description? I also have a nine second video of it locking and unlocking, but I guess I can't post it here.

It's still under warranty so I'm guessing the best approach is to get Tesla to fix it, but I'm open to approaches that are faster and better.
Bette D broken handle.jpeg

I just picked up a 2015 P85, our second Model S. The driver's door handle makes a loud clunking noise when it presents. Do the handles occasionally need to be adjusted so they lineup correctly with the door panel?

Last time I replaced a handle I recall having to line it up correctly before tightening, as Rich discusses in this video at the 14:00 mark. Can it be so far out that it makes a loud noise overcoming the body panel to present?

I just picked up a 2015 P85, our second Model S. The driver's door handle makes a loud clunking noise when it presents. Do the handles occasionally need to be adjusted so they lineup correctly with the door panel?

Last time I replaced a handle I recall having to line it up correctly before tightening, as Rich discusses in this video at the 14:00 mark. Can it be so far out that it makes a loud noise overcoming the body panel to present?

It should not make a noise. If it is then it's not adjusted correctly. you need to use something like a credit card to properly space/shim the handle within the opening in the door so it doesn't rub or make contact.

It should not make a noise. If it is then it's not adjusted correctly. you need to use something like a credit card to properly space/shim the handle within the opening in the door so it doesn't rub or make contact.

I figured this was the case, and it seems like its going to damage the handle. I suspect this handle was repaired previously and not adjusted correctly.

It seems like its about as much work to adjust the handle as it is to remove it.... I'll give it a go, just seeing if anyone has any other tips for adjustment.

I figured this was the case, and it seems like its going to damage the handle. I suspect this handle was repaired previously and not adjusted correctly.

It seems like its about as much work to adjust the handle as it is to remove it.... I'll give it a go, just seeing if anyone has any other tips for adjustment.

What I mean by adjustment is the up down and side to side position of the grip in the opening of the outer door skin needs to be adjusted. This has to be done everytime a handle is removed from the car. you only need to loosen the nuts not remove them entirely. I usually take 1 or 2 credit cards to space the bottom and the back of the grip and then snug things down. Then I manually push the grip out from inside the door to make sure everything clears properly.

What I mean by adjustment is the up down and side to side position of the grip in the opening of the outer door skin needs to be adjusted. This has to be done everytime a handle is removed from the car. you only need to loosen the nuts not remove them entirely. I usually take 1 or 2 credit cards to space the bottom and the back of the grip and then snug things down. Then I manually push the grip out from inside the door to make sure everything clears properly.

Thanks for this. I'm about to go adjust this handle.

The door is also opening anytime the handle presents. Any suggestions on what needs to be adjusted to prevent that?