Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Satin Matted PPF questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody, I’m ordered my model y and will be receiving it on November. I have few questions about PPF.

I’m a pretty handy person and I was wondering how hard to do a DIY PPF?

Where can I buy the Satin PPF?

What size of a roll should I buy for a complete ppf wrap?

thanks in advance

I’m a pretty handy guy, not afraid to tackle anything. Massive addition to my house, did all the excavation, building, plumbing, electrical. The Y is the first car I have owned where I have not had the car stripped down to a bare shell so I am confident there is nothing in this world I can’t do. I have put clear wrap on my vehicles but mostly just straight pieces covering lower rockers. I ended up paying someone to do my black Y (and it was painful to let someone else touch it) because no matter what, I could never make it look as good as he could. I could make it look good, but not good enough for my liking and the cost of the precut stuff for you to DIY it is pretty hefty (xpel). It was only a a few hundred more to pay someone to do my bumper, headlights and rockers. Way cheaper than a screw up. I did all my paint correction though, I even had to wet sand a massive amount of overspray before I could polish, spent 16 hours on that.
So what’s more important, the experience/skill you will learn for a good enough job or a few hundred dollars (depending on how much you wrap) for a perfect job.

Here in the Pacific Northwest it’s $6,500 for complete coverage with 3M PPF. I don’t know if matte has an up charge to it or not... but I’m debating that actually.

From my understanding it’s very hard to do well solo. You want the largest sheets possible so you don’t have any seams and you need to position them without letting them touch anything else except clean paint. Everything needs to be wet so they slide around until you lock it down and stretch it some... a lot of labor...

There is no doubt DIY PPF is labor intensive, but certainly not impossible. If you are handy enough, it can be done. I purchased precut PPF from Servo PPF (Suntek Ultra) and installed full car coverage myself on a Model 3 without any prior experience, just a ton of YouTube video tutorials. This isn't a direct comparison but if you are not comfortable installing tiles, then this DIY will be very challenging.

I purchased the precut kit and it was under 2k for the full car. I did the same on the Model Y and will be installing when I have a free weekend. I recommend buying a front end kit which should run a couple of hundred just to test it out before going all out. On my Model 3 I did not roll the edges since it was precut but will be doing so on the Model Y. Good luck!

There is no doubt DIY PPF is labor intensive, but certainly not impossible. If you are handy enough, it can be done. I purchased precut PPF from Servo PPF (Suntek Ultra) and installed full car coverage myself on a Model 3 without any prior experience, just a ton of YouTube video tutorials. This isn't a direct comparison but if you are not comfortable installing tiles, then this DIY will be very challenging.

I purchased the precut kit and it was under 2k for the full car. I did the same on the Model Y and will be installing when I have a free weekend. I recommend buying a front end kit which should run a couple of hundred just to test it out before going all out. On my Model 3 I did not roll the edges since it was precut but will be doing so on the Model Y. Good luck!
Hi. Does your model liftgate precut come in two pieces? How do you line them up? Does the seams get dirty? Thanks.