Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to revive but I have not seen much other threads on this. I'm considering diy and wondered do you remove the model 3 handles to wrap the door? Also bumpers I think it was said were left on but how do you tuck the film?

Then probably stupid question but doesn't the film add weight?

And finally it seems from reading vivid vinyl supposed to be good, was there a reason you didn't look at that? And then I guess is there a film that adds more protection like ppf versus just being very thin?

Wrap is done for my wife's model 3. Tried to upload photos of the front but website wouldn't let me. Wrap overall looks pretty dang good, very pleased with the results. Ordered wrap through Vivvid, it's the matte white. Put a layer of ceramic coating over the top which gives it a really nice satin look instead of looking completely flat matte while making it super hydrophobic and easy to clean. Definitely turns heads.

I'm a guy with no prior experience wrapping. Watched a lot of CK wraps on youtube (who makes it look too easy) along with internet research. If you have patience, and are meticulous with prep and cutting, you can do a pretty good job even with no prior experience.

Overall cost for the wrap material was $450, I ordered 100 ft, so I have extra to cover about 60% of my model x. Other tools and ceramic coating put it at $550 total. Add another $100-150 to finish my model x and per car it is roughly $350 in total cost. Took around 35 hours in total, worked a panel at a time at night once the kids went to sleep.

In this age of youtube, anyone can do anything with the proper research. In 2 years when I want a color change and a small hobby for a couple weeks, now that I have learned this skill, I have the option to change colors in any way I want with minimal cost. All while keeping another layer on top of the paint protecting it from sun/small chips/dings.

I didn't see much info on this site when I asked prior to starting, wanted to show this here if there are any other intrepid DIY minded people who want to give this a try. I've already started the model x, the panels are much flatter in general with less curves, it should actually be a fair degree easier than the 3 was.

Best of luck,

N

View attachment 405911
Thanks for this! Looking to tdo he same task!