Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DMV Paperwork Incorrect at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owners and first time post. We took delivery yesterday via a pickup at a local Supercharger. In love with the car! But hating the customer service already.

Husband and wife purchasing, with both of us on the loan. Our DMV paperwork received in the FedEx envelope shows “and” instead of “or” (we chose “or” when giving registration info), and the mileage states 15, when really there were 48 miles on the car when we got in it. (Where did those miles come from??)

We finally reached someone in the delivery dept at our closest sales center and were told that the “and” is a requirement by Tesla Financing. We have trouble believing this. We’ve bought lots of cars, some even financed through Wells Fargo Auto as this one is, and never had a problem listing “or” on the registration.

The solution from the delivery person is to contact Tesla Financing Dept (we e-mailed this morning). But I’m here wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? Any suggestions of how to proceed? We are considering making the changes on the DMV forms, initialing them, returning them, and then seeing what happens.

Thanks for any insights!

Was your mileage listed printed or written? Tesla tends to do a various level of testing and QA that for the most part equates to ~15miles. This also includes travel time in logistics lot, loading onto transportation, if any, showroom delivery and logistics.

"15 miles" is the standard placeholder they use for all cars but I believe they are generally being delivered with less than 4 miles. How far is your official delivery center from the parking lot where you took possession? Note that service centers, showrooms, and delivery centers are often separate and unrelated agencies so your delivery center might be pretty far away. Otherwise I'd suspect that the car was previously repaired or rejected. Ask your SA to tell you the exact day the car left the factory, this is easy for them to look up.

But I want to know how you got "DMV paperwork"? I paid my car off in December, took delivery in mid March (long story) and I have nothing. No pink slip, no registration, not single piece of paper from Tesla or the DMV regarding anything. I don't even have so much as an email indicating that I own it. Luckily it's not fast or red or anything so I shouldn't have to worry about being pulled over.

The mileage does work if they drove it from the nearest center to the pickup location. I hope that’s what happened. 15 was printed on the paperwork but there were actually 48 miles.

The DMV paperwork I referred to was the transfer form (including odometer statement) and the application for registration. We are supposed to sign and return via FedEx. We cannot get anyone from the delivery center to call us. We were told to e-mail a certain department that handles the DMV paperwork but no reply from them either. The mileage isn’t the most concerning, although we don’t love the idea of signing under penalty of perjury that the stated mileage is what it was at the time of transfer. The main issue is the “and” instead of “or” on the registration. We’re considering lining it out and correcting then initialing it. We’ll see if we hear back from anyone...

Everything in corporate is CYA policy. There are several reasons why your car can have a few more miles on it... and several reasons as to why the paperwork uses 15 mile “new car” placeholder. Milage statements are to protect everyone from massive fraud, not a few miles under or over. Even CarFax shows incorrect milage records sometimes due to limited information.

“And” on the loan is to protect the leinholder by holding you both financially responsible.

Don’t sweat the small stuff (or amplify it) and enjoy your new car!

Last edited:
Reactions: MadMax082
Ah, so you had a human-less delivery and they left a FedEx envelope in the car for you. For me there was a clipboard in the car that I handed to the parking lot attendant.

I don't understand your "and/or" issue. That's usually used on checks to avoid the hassle of requiring both signatures, but for property ownership/liability I don't even know what it would mean. I suspect it's either not legal or not permitted by one of the agencies involved (Tesla, DMV, insurance, lender, etc.).

“Or” is acceptable in CA to aid in sale without both parties having to sign. You should have that corrected. Minor miff.

To your other points: it’s the weekend, no one is going to handle an administrative DMV issue over the weekend. On the mileage, did you expect them to Google map the delivery location and add the miles to it? If the distance matches why are you even bringing it up? There is absolutely no harm that can come of it. There’s no provision for delivery miles in the CA DMV.

“Or” is acceptable in CA to aid in sale without both parties having to sign. You should have that corrected. Minor miff.

To your other points: it’s the weekend, no one is going to handle an administrative DMV issue over the weekend. On the mileage, did you expect them to Google map the delivery location and add the miles to it? If the distance matches why are you even bringing it up? There is absolutely no harm that can come of it. There’s no provision for delivery miles in the CA DMV.
As I said earlier, it’s not a major issue, but they are asking us to sign under penalty of perjury the odometer statement on the dmv form, which is incorrect. I prefer things to be done correctly.

Ah, so you had a human-less delivery and they left a FedEx envelope in the car for you. For me there was a clipboard in the car that I handed to the parking lot attendant.

I don't understand your "and/or" issue. That's usually used on checks to avoid the hassle of requiring both signatures, but for property ownership/liability I don't even know what it would mean. I suspect it's either not legal or not permitted by one of the agencies involved (Tesla, DMV, insurance, lender, etc.).
Perhaps it’s different in other states but we own all of our vehicles Husband Name OR Wife Name. It’s a checkbox on the dmv registration form. They marked “and” instead of “or” even though we requested or. We will likely end up lining through it and see how that flies. I don’t anticipate Tesla providing new paperwork for us.

Perhaps it’s different in other states but we own all of our vehicles Husband Name OR Wife Name. It’s a checkbox on the dmv registration form. They marked “and” instead of “or” even though we requested or. We will likely end up lining through it and see how that flies. I don’t anticipate Tesla providing new paperwork for us.

Ive seen lenders require everyone on the loan to be on the title. If they want "and" on there as a condition of your loan I can see them making you redo it if you line it out.