Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do any other sedans offer factory tow hitches in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
Judging by the responses in Model3Tracker.info, not many of you are not particularly excited about the availability of the factory-installed tow hitch receiver in the Model 3. However, I was planning to keep my SUV around simply to tow light loads, a capability the Model 3 may now be able to replace. In addition, a hitch reciever allows the use of accessories such as bike racks or hitch boxes to increase cargo space or flexibility.

I was wondering if any other sedans or, for that matter, any compact hatchbacks available in the US have the option of a factory-installed tow hitch receiver. There are certainly cars with a tow rating, and many aftermarket hitch options, but what about a hitch reciever installed at the factory? I can't think of any.

If there are none, then this would be another example of the Model 3 stretching the norms.

Last edited:
Several Subaru's have factory hitches available for dealer installation, but aren't factory installed. My wife's Outback has threaded holes in the frame to mount a receiver hitch (factory or aftermarket). There was a connector in the back to plug into for lighting.

Current XV Crosstrek, Outback, and Forester appear to have factory hitches. Not sure about the Impreza.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that we can count any of the Subaru's as "sedans." Certainly not "mid-lux" sedans... But anyway...

I can't find any info on hitches at the tracker. I'm new there though, so still poking around (any hints as to where it is?). Here's my deal: I install hitches on every car I own. Most of them specifically say not to do so. Half have been EVs. I'm thrilled that a tow hitch will be available. And no, I can't think of another car in this class that has a factory hitch.

I can't find any info on hitches at the tracker. I'm new there though, so still poking around (any hints as to where it is?).
After logging in and viewing your record, towing is the last option in Configuration, Section 3.

Here's the current report output:
image.jpeg

I'm not sure that we can count any of the Subaru's as "sedans." Certainly not "mid-lux" sedans... But anyway...
Well, the OP did ask "any other sedans or, for that matter, any compact hatchbacks" (which pretty clearly covers the Impreza), and never specified luxury level...;)

The XV Crosstrek is essentially just a raised Impreza sedan, which was marketed in prior generations as the "Outback Sport" - so there's your compact hatchback with a dealer installed, factory hitch.

Thanks, I had looked at the Subaru website. They were the only manufacturer I could think of that might have a sedan with a factory hitch. I looked at the Impreza and Legacy, their sedans, and didn't find the option.

I'm not surprised that the XV Crosstrek, Outback and Forester have factory hitches. They aim those at the CUV or small/mid SUV crowd and adding a hitch is one more way to hit that target. All three of those reside in an rare middle ground between hatchback and SUV.

Still no sedans yet...

The Crosstrek is neither a sedan nor a compact hatchback. It is considered a "tall wagon". If the Impreza has an option for a towing hitch that would be different. The whole point of the Crosstrek is to modify the Impreza from being a sedan to being an off-road ready crossover wagon by doing things like adding the option for a tow hitch.

I can't imagine much utility for a towing with an EV. Using as an accessory hitch yes, but 95% of the time if you are towing something with wheels its going to be for a longer distance trip. Even on the model x with a large battery it seems like a not to typical scenario. Also can't imagine backing down a boat launch, submerging the batteries :p

I can't imagine much utility for a towing with an EV. Using as an accessory hitch yes, but 95% of the time if you are towing something with wheels its going to be for a longer distance trip. Even on the model x with a large battery it seems like a not to typical scenario. Also can't imagine backing down a boat launch, submerging the batteries :p

95% of the time if i use the tow-bar it is for a short distance.
some new furniture from a nearby shop.
Bring old stuff to the landfill.
Bikes to cycling somewhere.

I do a lot of trips with my trailer. but i almost never go futher than 60km. (40 miles?), I dont need to.
I just have the trailer because my cars (Opel Corsa and Renault Clio) are to small for big shopping stuff.
typical distance is between 5 and 30km.

Mini has had the Sport Link system for quite a while which is a factory option with a proprietary connector that can be used to attach many different accessories including a hitch or rack.

That's slick. And it demonstrates how a factory option that's designed into the vehicle is superior than most after-market solutions. Especially on modern, sporty, aero cars that don't benefit from square tubes hanging off the back! Very nice.

When you launch a boat, you don't submerge the back of the car, unless you do it all wrong. You just back the trailer up enough until the boat floats, and that is long before the back of the car in the water.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Tow hitches are often added after the fact. There are LOTS of areas where you can bolt on a hitch. I have a Volvo convertible that I just went to etrailer.com and ordered a hitch for $150. Doesn't seem like something to base the decision of which car to buy on.

-Randy
Whether or not etrailer.com will sell you a hitch isn't the point. (They will always sell you one.)

But does Volvo, as the manufacturer, actually allow towing by providing a tow rating? Many car OEMs do not allow towing in the U.S. by stating an explicit limit in the owners manual. Also, does Volvo encourage towing by providing it as a factory option?

Tesla appears to be doing both with the Model 3. They either have better lawyers than the other OEMs or more confidence in their vehicle's ability to tow. I think it's the latter, and that signal of confidence is important for consumers to consider.