TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do Autopilot Repeaters fit in non AP hole?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richrootes, Apr 20, 2019.

1. richrootes

richrootes Member

After seeing Sentry Mode catch some quite appalling door dingers in action, I’m wondering how much it would cost to retrofit the later AP side repeaters

I’m not interested in Autopilot, but somehow wiring up the cameras to a recording device inside the car would sure give me more confidence when using public car parks - where inevitably, wherever you park, you get some dick in a Monster Truck in the space next to you

Anyone tried this?

2. JerryEVall

JerryEVall Member

Also wondering about this. Hopefully there is a way to retrofit as I am also thinking sentry mode but not autopilot.

3. glide

glide Member

Why wouldn’t you get a 4-channel dash cam instead?

That’s going to be substantially less expensive, time consuming, and will not require hacking the software.

• Like x 1
  4. richrootes

richrootes Member

Are there dashcams that can see along each side of your car - like the repeater cameras do?

5. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

I asked a very similar question recently in this thread:
    Aftermarket Sentry possible for pre-AP2 cars?

I see the fender cameras sell on eBay for about $180/each. They may work as a visual deterrent, but we learned it is cheaper and simpler to use other solutions.

6. richrootes

richrootes Member

Thanks - the Waylens solution looks good, but it won’t spot door dingers, whom should be corrected by having their heads slammed repeatedly in the style of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels....

7. glide

glide Member

Yes. You just point them to the sides rather than the front/back.
    Yes. Try BlackVue. You can position the camera front/back and left/right.

8. richrootes

richrootes Member

Thanks

Until then though......