Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do i have to keep it plugged in everyday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a used 2020 M3P this past Monday but waiting for title to arrive so i can register car. Do i have to keep it plugged in everyday or can it just sit till i can go to DMV? its currently at 73% charged.

Tesla recommends plugging it in everyday. If you have a charger next to your normal parking spot, that’s the recommendation and since it’s stupid simple and always results in a ready battery, there’s little reason not to follow Tesla’s own advice. If you are in an apartment or other area where it’s a PITA, then it’s no real issue leaving it unplugged.

Do i have to keep it plugged in everyday?
Your question reminds me of Sister Gertrude, one of my grade school teachers. She was a mean nun who taught us religion at St. Anthony Grade School. Whenever we would ask her if we HAD to so something, (e.g. Sister do we have to do all this homework? Sister do we have to go to mass every Sunday? Etc) she would get a stern look on her face and answer with, "No. You don't HAVE to do it, the only thing you HAVE to do is die." It wasn't a very uplifting message but I guess she was correct. So in that spirit, no you don't have to plug in your Tesla every night.

ok, its been a three days and lost 1%...for now i just connected the mobil charger and set it up to charge 1 % above current charge...Once it reaches that will it just stop charging? I'm guessing yes, and just leave it plugged in and it will only charge if it falls below percentage i have set?

ok, its been a three days and lost 1%...for now i just connected the mobil charger and set it up to charge 1 % above current charge...Once it reaches that will it just stop charging? I'm guessing yes, and just leave it plugged in and it will only charge if it falls below percentage i have set?
It will stop charging once it hits the setting.

It will restart charging once it’s 2-3% below the setting.

Temp swings may shift the battery level a bit.

Basically, any charging regimen that keeps the car ready for you to drive and ideally keeps the battery above 20% or so on a daily basis will do the job. If you can keep it plugged in whenever you're at home, then that's what I recommend. Pick a charge level between 50-90% that results in you being able to drive everywhere you expect to need to and keep from running it below 20% very often, and you're good to go.

If you're having to charge it off of a standard plug, then I REALLY encourage you to keep it plugged in whenever you can, and to use a higher charging limit than you otherwise might since you might not be able to recharge fully after high mileage day in one overnight. If you live in a place that has winter, cold weather will both cause you to use more power to go the same distance, and to charge slower when you are plugged in.

If you have a convenient Supercharger you can use at need, then you can relax a little more.

Reactions: XPsionic
I only drive mine on weekends. On Thursday I charge to about 75% where it drops to the 40—50% range by Sunday. I don't charge again until I plug it again Thursday evening.
ok, mine was at 73% so i guess i could of just left it without attaching cable. I'm thinking i won't get title for another 10 days. Anyhow i just connected it to the mobile charger just to keep it at current range and if it falls it will charge it back up.

Wow some of you are only losing 1 mi per day on standby???

My car loses at least 1.5 to 2% per day (~10 miles) with sentry/hvac/dashcams all off. The car still tells me this is "optimal" amount of loss.

Basically, any charging regimen that keeps the car ready for you to drive and ideally keeps the battery above 20% or so on a daily basis will do the job. If you can keep it plugged in whenever you're at home, then that's what I recommend. Pick a charge level between 50-90% that results in you being able to drive everywhere you expect to need to and keep from running it below 20% very often, and you're good to go.
The “below 20% is a myth.
The batteries is actually better of the lower the SOC we have.

Calendar aging works like this for Panasonic NCA:
5FB4381D-0914-4DE1-9BBF-4B0A51B21221.jpeg

Knowing this I often have my car below 20%, most weeks at work (one week at work each time) I mostly leave it at the SOC I have arriving after a 240km drive, from 80-90% so between 10-20% is most common, sometimes slightly more.
This is my todays battery report from teslafi:
Much less degradation than the average. Scan My Tesla shows 78.9kWh remaining capacity out of 82.1(actually most start at 80,5).
If below 20% was very bad, my battery would be broken.

4385F306-09B4-458C-B2C8-3788032F2A8E.jpeg

The low SOC strategy will cut the degradation in half, or even more.

*LFP batteries are different.
Not much if we look at calendar aging.
I wish we had some good examples of them for LFP cells.
I took myself the liberty to change LFA to LFP, so others dont get confused. :)

Like this;
4D960EB0-22A9-44AB-A32A-8BDC672A6E0C.jpeg

Or this;
9F360B52-4C7B-45DE-98AC-4591D2FBD043.jpeg

As we can see, there are differences between the main chemistries. But not very big differences.

LFP’s degrade about the same as NMC and NCA does if looking in the first one or two year time window (we can use teslalogger.de for this).

What we know is that LFP can do much higher cycle numbers and they are relatively non sensitive to large cycles, which in turn lead to the conclusion that the degradation we see for the first couple of years is more or less calendar aging only.

Tesla tell us to charge to 100% at least once a week. This is not due to the chemistry ”needing” this but it is to help the BMS keep the correct countinh of the energy in the battery ( for minimizing the risk of getting stranded due to low SOC).

Yeah, I don't really care about that so much. I just figure if I'm going below 20% all the time, I don't really have enough battery to freely drive the car where I want.
That's not true. The lowest SoC target you can set is 50%, so if you are using more than 30%, you can and should set the target SoC to whatever you're planning to use for the day + 20% so you can end your trip with about 20%. Then let it sit at that SoC overnight and set Scheduled Departure for whatever time you're going to leave the next day, with the SoC again set to whatever you're planning to use + 20%.
It's funny because I immediately caught my error and I couldn't edit. I wonder if I need more posts or to donate or something to get the ability.
I think if you get more posts you'll eventually get the ability to edit. But the editing time is only about 1 hour. This is probably the most ridiculous, annoying thing about this site. On other sites, I've edited my own posts 2+ years after making them, because of changes to the videos (my own) that I've linked to. Or because someone quoted my post or bumped the thread and, upon re-reading the post, I realized that I had a previously unnoticed typographical error. Or because I linked to a video that was later removed from YouTube and so I had to find another link to the same video clip (i.e. a well known clip from a movie). Etc.