Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need a power panel upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I`m getting ready to place an order for the Tesla 8.16 system but wanted to know if anyone could help me determine if my existing power panel needs to be upgraded? Has anyone else gone through this and how much should I expect to pay? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Power Meter  .jpg
    Power Meter .jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 95
I had a 125 amp main panel and had the solar contractor upgrade it when installing my solar system a few years ago. I was out of physical space and electrical capacity, even with several half-size breakers. Because of my 2" conduit that ran to the transformer, the utility said the max panel upgrade I could do was 225 amps. They removed the existing wire to the transformer and then pulled in the largest wire in that conduit to help facilitate the panel upgrade (at no cost from the utility). The contractor charged $2,500 to replace the panel and all the breakers when installing the solar system, and it worked out very well. If you do upgrade the panel, you may want to consider adding a subpanel in the garage to help facilitate your EV charging in the future...

I had a 125 amp main panel and had the solar contractor upgrade it when installing my solar system a few years ago. I was out of physical space and electrical capacity, even with several half-size breakers. Because of my 2" conduit that ran to the transformer, the utility said the max panel upgrade I could do was 225 amps. They removed the existing wire to the transformer and then pulled in the largest wire in that conduit to help facilitate the panel upgrade (at no cost from the utility). The contractor charged $2,500 to replace the panel and all the breakers when installing the solar system, and it worked out very well. If you do upgrade the panel, you may want to consider adding a subpanel in the garage to help facilitate your EV charging in the future...

Your contractor gave you a good price. You lucked out with conduit. I rarely see those go for less than $3000 in CA.

I`m getting ready to place an order for the Tesla 8.16 system but wanted to know if anyone could help me determine if my existing power panel needs to be upgraded? Has anyone else gone through this and how much should I expect to pay? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just given the apparent age, I would say an upgrade would be worth it.

Whats your current service?