Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to change tyre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the delivery today, on the first ride I hit the curb, I see there is a cut on the rear passenger tyre, Do I need to change the tyre?. Wow I didn't know that this is an issue with Tesla, I had similar running on curb before with accord, never had any issues.

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_002231402.jpg
    PXL_20230101_002231402.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 226
First off this isn’t an issue with Tesla. The rims on the Y are more susceptible to damage from minor contact because they actually stick out a little more than the rubber. This looks like a pretty major impact. You damaged the rubber on your tire; something that likely would have happened in any other vehicle. That’s a you problem.

As far as your question; I don’t think it’s deep enough to replace the tire but that’s tough to tell without seeing it in person.

Upvote 0
Wow I didn't know that this is an issue with Tesla, I had similar running on curb before with accord, never had any issues.

Im probably going to get a little flack for saying this, but... man... How is "running on the curb" in multiple cars somehow a tesla issue?

Upvote 0
Im probably going to get a little flack for saying this, but... man... How is "running on the curb" in multiple cars somehow a tesla issue?
Certainly not Tesla per se. It's just the modern tendency of specifying tires that don't protrude beyond the rims. It can be a shock when you first encounter it. At least it was for me around 2004 or so. With prior cars I'd had no real concern if the tire gently contacted a curb. So scraping the rim was for me a WTH? moment and I was not pleased. I'm sure it's that way for a lot of folks.

Upvote 0
I took the delivery today, on the first ride I hit the curb, I see there is a cut on the rear passenger tyre, Do I need to change the tyre?. Wow I didn't know that this is an issue with Tesla, I had similar running on curb before with accord, never had any issues.
I had the exact same gash in my right front tire. I had Tesla change it. $400.00 installed. I believe any rips in the sidewall could be dangerous. Big Moe

Upvote 0