Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do SCTY employees now get priority if they reserve a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

That article says employees get to reserve first. Nowhere does it say that a base model will be delivered to an employee before a highly optioned one is delivered to the pubic. I'm certain highly optioned ones will go to employees first but that's not what we're debating. Prior owners get to reserve first too but the general public will get a highly optioned one over a prior owner's base version.

Please pay attention to the issue.

Tesla.
Thank you kindly.

So you can't even name one company except the one we're debating, for which they have never done what you said: "Smart companies ALWAYS" do. Companies ALWAYS do it but you can't even name one that has done it? Good argument... :rolleyes:

I think your internal monologue doesn't like you very much, if that is how it translates things for you.
Thank you kindly.

It's not only me. I didn't come up with the phrase ""Take that, you dirty jackwagon." which is a true translation of your passive aggressive "Thank you kindly." Read that thread and see what others say to you about your "Thank you kindly.". You even tell me there that "You aren't the first to misinterpret it as snarky." So it's strange you now try to say it's me. I even saw another person tell you recently to stop it. It's actually quite sad that you need to continue doing something so passive aggressive. It says a lot about you.

Last edited:
Highly optioned models will only be delivered earlier in a batch of cars. The first 115k or so that were ordered preunveil-probably less than that number as online was opened-Say 50k were Californians. In that group of deliveries if you order a maxed out 3 you'll be one of the first in that group of deliveries to get one. If you ordered post unveil you'll be pushed to the front of the second deliveries to that region. Now that will be limited to a number of orders - say the next 100k orders or so or 25k to each region. Understand you'll be getting your car only weeks earlier than someone with just an entry level order. It will be a waste of money to get a maxed out 3 just to get it earlier when in reality it won't be that much earlier as production is sped up.

Remember this car will be delivered to regions in batches. Not by options. All preunveil (in store orders) will be fulfilled first (after employees). If in that group you max it out-you'll be in the front of that batch. If you ordered online or post unveil the next 100k orders or whatever number Tesla decides is fair-you'll get your car in the first part of that batch to your region. I wouldn't waste 30k just to get my car first in a batch when an entry level neighbor would get theirs 3 weeks later if ordered in same batch. Seems like a complete waste of money unless that's what you wanted in the first place.
I believe all pre unveil in store orders will be d models for free upgrade. Might even see AP free too as Tesla needs all the data it can get. Toss the Tesla loyal orders a bone and see sales explode. As for cost-it will only hurt a little bit (175m (dual motors at cost)). Tesla will still make a huge profit as there is about 6billion waiting in model 3 backlog alone. So you invest back into your faithful pre unveil customers. Good way to run a business-invest into your customers and get data from them at the same time. Win win. Dual motors will get you max range for your battery and AP data.
I'm also expecting a special limited edition price car to be offered to pre unveiled customers. Price of about 50k and has many options (performance model), but that's just my assumption. I could be completely wrong, but until then-I'll be hopeful.

Remember this car will be delivered to regions in batches. Not by options. All preunveil (in store orders) will be fulfilled first (after employees). If in that group you max it out-you'll be in the front of that batch. If you ordered online or post unveil the next 100k orders or whatever number Tesla decides is fair-you'll get your car in the first part of that batch to your region. I wouldn't waste 30k just to get my car first in a batch when an entry level neighbor would get theirs 3 weeks later if ordered in same batch. Seems like a complete waste of money unless that's what you wanted in the first place.
I believe all pre unveil in store orders will be d models for free upgrade. Might even see AP free too as Tesla needs all the data it can get. Toss the Tesla loyal orders a bone and see sales explode. As for cost-it will only hurt a little bit (175m (dual motors at cost)). Tesla will still make a huge profit as there is about 6billion waiting in model 3 backlog alone. So you invest back into your faithful pre unveil customers. Good way to run a business-invest into your customers and get data from them at the same time. Win win. Dual motors will get you max range for your battery and AP data.
I'm also expecting a special limited edition price car to be offered to pre unveiled customers. Price of about 50k and has many options (performance model), but that's just my assumption. I could be completely wrong, but until then-I'll be hopeful.
So where do you see current owners in the priority sequence you're describing? I think when the non-employee regional batches are unfolding, a current owner will get their optioned car earlier than a non-owner will get their optioned car. I think it's possible that even after deliveries start, it could be difficult to decipher the order in which orders are being fulfilled. Tesla may not want to disclose how they're choosing deliveries for some reason.

But the question in this thread is, does the definition of employee include SolarCity employees?

That article says employees get to reserve first. Nowhere does it say that a base model will be delivered to an employee before a highly optioned one is delivered to the pubic.

So what exactly would be the point in letting them reserve FIRST, if that didn't mean they got delivery FIRST? Plus, we KNOW why they get delivery first, because Tesla told us.

Please pay attention to the issue.

I have the issue well in hand. Just because you are twisting words, doesn't make me unaware of the actual issue.

So you can't even name one company except the one we're debating,

Of course I can, I was being humorous.

""Take that, you dirty jackwagon." which is a true translation of your passive aggressive "Thank you kindly."

How could it be, since I have never even heard the word 'jackwagon' before? That MUST come from YOUR brain. You're not a very good Canadian are you? It is odd, people I agree with seem to think I am being polite with the closer I use on every post, while the ones I disagree with (especially after it is clear to them that they have lost) think it 'passive aggressive'. How could it possibly be both? It does seem to be useful for determining when respondents have gotten to that point.

Thank you kindly.

One thing that might be relevant to all this. The only cold hard fact we can apply to all this is that absolutely nobody has any idea of exactly how Tesla is going to go about delivering cars. We are all speculating so it's pretty useless to make statements as if they are fact.

We will all find out the specifics in due time. Let's keep it civil people. It's not like this is an American Presidential election or anything. ;)

Dan

• Love
Reactions: Sonny Daze
That article says employees get to reserve first. Nowhere does it say that a base model will be delivered to an employee before a highly optioned one is delivered to the pubic. I'm certain highly optioned ones will go to employees first but that's not what we're debating. Prior owners get to reserve first too but the general public will get a highly optioned one over a prior owner's base version.
However, it does say, on your reservation page, that people will be invited to configure based on the date they reserved. So if employees reserved first, they'll get to configure first (at least the ones out West will), and if they are configuring first they'll get produced and delivered first. They may order production within the employees so that highly configured ones are first, but I'm pretty sure that that is out the window now.

However, it does say, on your reservation page, that people will be invited to configure based on the date they reserved.

Inviting to configure, and actually making the vehicles, are two different things, as you point out. Tesla has specifically said they will be making highly optioned vehicles first. But only time will tell who is right on this issue. I will be the first to admit I am wrong if, after they make highly optioned vehicles for employees (which will be relatively few vehicles) they next make many more lower optioned vehicles for employees, followed by highly optioned for current owners. I just don't see it being rolled out that way. I see only performance versions being rolled out first in this order:

West Coast:
1. Employees - performance
2. Current Owners - performance
3. General Public - performance

Moving East:
4. Current Owners - performance
5. General Public - performance

Then:
6. Employees - less optioned
7. Owners - less optioned
8. General public - less optioned

Reservation date will determine the order vehicles are made within each stage.

Tesla will drum up so much more interest with only performance vehicles on the road first when people find out they can buy one for only $35k before rebates. Of course, people will qualify it with, you can't get the performance version for that price, but you still get a really great long range electric vehicle. In my view, Tesla would be nuts to roll it out any other way. Every news station wants to run a story on this highly anticipated vehicle and they'll be showing off some employee's base model? I just don't see that happening.

This is aside from the most important fact that by rolling it out this way, Tesla maximizes profit in a relatively short period of time, the battery factory and Model 3 factory are tooled to do their production in the most efficient and profitable manner, and by getting vehicles out with the most options they can work out most problems right from the start.

Last edited:
Of course I can, I was being humorous.

Well your reply wasn't funny and I note that not one person rated it as such. In any event, I am still waiting for you to name just one company, and please don't try to use a humourless joke to change the subject again.

How could it be, since I have never even heard the word 'jackwagon' before? That MUST come from YOUR brain.

IN FACT, it does not come from my brain. I had never heard it either until @ohmman said it about your phrase "Thank you kindly" in this post:

snippiness

I guess you never click on the red words in my posts above. They are links to everyone telling you how much your "Thank you kindly" irritates them, and how @ohmman jokingly said he uses a plug-in in Safari to replace "Thank you kindly" on his screen with "Take that you dirty jackwagon". Here's his post since you seem not to know how the links in my posts above work:

[USER=21484]@ohmman[/USER] said:
Admission: I use a plugin for Safari called NinjaKit which allows me to run my own scripts on the page. I have it replace some text based on a rule set. There are similar plugins for most browsers - Chrome and Firefox probably have better implementations. If there's a phrase that bothers you, install one and change it to what you like. That's easier than making someone else change.

In my case, I have it replace "Thank you kindly" with "Take that, you dirty jackwagon." No offense meant to @Topher at all, it's for my personal entertainment. And I have to say, it makes some of the posts hilarious (to me).

So even you though you say it "MUST come from YOUR brain" your caps don't make it true. Do you care to admit now you are wrong?

On your other comments towards me, please take a minute to read in that thread how everyone agrees with me on your "Thank you kindly" comment and kindly stop using it.

"Thank you kindly."

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I don't agree with a lot that Topher says. But I'm not sure why so many people take offense to his closing salutation. If he just used it in certain posts then yeah, maybe it's intended to be a jab. But he ends every single post that way so I just take it as simply his normal closing salutation, thank you kindly. It's not like he says up yours MFer.

Last edited:
Inviting to configure, and actually making the vehicles, are two different things, as you point out. Tesla has specifically said they will be making highly optioned vehicles first. But only time will tell who is right on this issue. I will be the first to admit I am wrong if, after they make highly optioned vehicles for employees (which will be relatively few vehicles) they next make many more lower optioned vehicles for employees, followed by highly optioned for current owners. I just don't see it being rolled out that way.
We're probably both wrong :D I'm honest enough with myself to admit that I'm sure my opinion is influenced with a large dose of wishful thinking.

It'll be interesting to see how it all ands up being done. Hopefully, we'll find out in the spring when they have the next reveal.

I expect that most will still be invited to configure based upon the date of their Reservation. So, someone who is an employee today, but registers tomorrow, would have priority perhaps over a non-employee that ordered the same day. And, someone that reserved on 2016-03-31 when they were not an employee, but becomes an employee tomorrow, would gain a higher priority than they had originally. But that doesn't mean that every employee that reserved on 2016-04-01 through today is ahead of every non-employee from 2016-03-31.

So you can't even name one company except the one we're debating, for which they have never done what you said
Yes, they have done that in the past - in a very small scale. The 2 first Model S was *sold* to two Tesla employees - Elon Musk and George Blankenship - one month before the first official deliveries as "beta testers".

West Coast:
1. Employees - performance
2. Current Owners - performance
3. General Public - performance

Moving East:
4. Current Owners - performance
5. General Public - performance

Then:
6. Employees - less optioned
7. Owners - less optioned
8. General public - less optioned

Reservation date will determine the order vehicles are made within each stage.

This is my interpretation as well. Employees and current owners get to configure early but if they configure a base model they are going to have to wait. Then they'll get their base model before the general public gets their base model.