Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the NEMA 14-50 Adapters ever come in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes they can double up breakers, or even install quad breakers to make more room. If you know you want a wall connector (and know you are getting the tesla) I would just get it now.
Thanks for that info. Already have the Model 3. I really should order the connector. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I'm sure I can resell it still boxed for nearly what I paid for it.

Edit to add: By the way, I also have a subpanel and I think it has room, but it's 100ft and another floor away from the garage. I guess that does not help.

Thanks for that info. Already have the Model 3. I really should order the connector. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I'm sure I can resell it still boxed for nearly what I paid for it.

Edit to add: By the way, I also have a subpanel and I think it has room, but it's 100ft and another floor away from the garage. I guess that does not help.
I was in a similar situation as you (considering the 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle), but after reading several posts on this forum and evaluating what would be ideal, I elected to order the Wall Charger and have an electrician install a 60A breaker to maximize the charge rate for my M3 LR. I placed the order for the WC on 6/16 and it arrived on 6/24

I have an electrician coming today to give me an estimate on installing 240v for my new Model 3. But now I see that the adapter I would need for it, the 14-50 is out of stock at Tesla and other resellers. I've been searching the web and it seems people have been complaining about this for some time. Can I get some input if these actually do come into stock off and on? I don't want to pay for 240v in my garage if I cannot connect for months or years.

I see the $400 wall connector is in stock, but it's 10x the price of the adapter. I'd hate to have to buy that just because it's in stock. Plus, isn't there a higher cost for the install of the 240v outlet, potentially, over a 14-50 receptacle?

Thanks.
They are back in stock

Which could also make the wiring cheaper since only two live wires (plus neutral and ground) are required to be run instead of the three needed for a properly wired 14-50 outlet.
Note that the Tesla Wall Connector only needs two live wires, as well.
Do you know if the mobile charger will work without a ground or a neutral? If you only had two hots for 240V, going to the 14-50 Tesla adapter, but no ground or neutral connection, would it still charge?

I found out the hard way that the 14-50 to an aftermarket TT-30 adapter doesn't work because the 14-50 isn't seeing 240V. There is a TT-30 adapter made for the Tesla mobile charger that's available from EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere. that allows a 24Amp 120V charge from a TT-30. I plan on getting one. Two weeks ago I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with only a TT-30 outlet to charge from. Luckily one of the local residents of the town (population of 10) had a TT-30 to a 5-15 adapter that he loaned me, but I was only able to charge at 4 miles an hour.

It needs a ground but not a neutral unless you're charging on single phase.

The TT-30 to 14-50 adapters come in two flavors.

One is for RVs, in which the hot leg of the TT-30 is connected to both hot legs of the 14-50. This will not work for EV charging because the car expects two separate hot legs for 240-volt charging or one hot leg and one neutral (on the other hot leg) for 120-volt charging. An EV-specific TT-30 to 14-50 adapter will connect the hot leg from the TT-30 to one hot leg on the 14-50, and connect the neutral to the other hot leg. The neutral pin on the 14-50 is not used.

Do you know if the mobile charger will work without a ground or a neutral? If you only had two hots for 240V, going to the 14-50 Tesla adapter, but no ground or neutral connection, would it still charge?
No, it won't even initialize. It checks for a ground, and it has to be there, or it will just sit there blinking with error codes.
(On the 10-XX outlets it's just fudging by putting the ground into the neutral of the outlet since it doesn't have a ground.)