Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do worn out tires adversely affect trade-in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out if it would be worth it to replace worn out tires on the car I want to trade in early next month. I would guess it's harder to move cars at an auction with 1/32 left to the tread wear indicators. If it's $500 I don't care. If it's $2000 then yes.

I have 62k on my car but I have had winter and summer sets since day one. Original tires in both cases, selling the winter set to someone I know. If they just care about exterior and interior then I'm good. My trade in is not a Tesla. The Xpel wrap on the front has done a good job keeping the front looking good and I think the LLumar Air Blue 80 may have helped the interior but I kept the car in a garage at home and at work.

I've had the SMS link on my phone for 4 days and have been nervous about starting the process. Guess I'll go to Carmax this weekend then finish the web pages from the SMS link. Thanks for the info everyone.

I have 62k on my car but I have had winter and summer sets since day one. Original tires in both cases, selling the winter set to someone I know. If they just care about exterior and interior then I'm good. My trade in is not a Tesla. The Xpel wrap on the front has done a good job keeping the front looking good and I think the LLumar Air Blue 80 may have helped the interior but I kept the car in a garage at home and at work.

I've had the SMS link on my phone for 4 days and have been nervous about starting the process. Guess I'll go to Carmax this weekend then finish the web pages from the SMS link. Thanks for the info everyone.

Both Carmax and Tesla gave me low ball offers ... was able to sell it privately at 2x the trade-in quote. YMMV

At the auction the tire condition will be noted and the bidders will bid accordingly.

Most dealerships will put on fresh tires if necessary as few people are shopping for cars with bald tires.

Would not put on fresh tires if it is going to an auction, but would if I was selling private party.

Some will just slap on some cheap chinese brands.

Don't bother. Just drive and drop off your car while taking the delivery.
Shift your focus on the new car instead, and inspect before signing any delivery documents.

When I traded mine, not sure what the personnel checked, but returned rather quickly.
And my rear tire is almost bald.

If selling to a private party, I might be inclined to put new tires on. Might be a deterrent to a prospective buyer for a hypothetical car with 5000 miles on the odo to have bald tires. I would think that hypothetical car "was ridden hard and left wet," if you know what I mean...

Reactions: afadeev
Trading a car to Tesla provides the lowest financial return of any trade-in or re-sale method. There's no point worrying about worn tires.
They beat CarMax by over $1,000 plus in Ohio I had the tax benefit on top of that as well. So over $17,000 of my model 3 was not taxed by my state. So I disagree with the first part of your statement.
Your statement about the tires is true though.