TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do worn out tires adversely affect trade-in value?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Atari2600, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Trying to figure out if it would be worth it to replace worn out tires on the car I want to trade in early next month. I would guess it's harder to move cars at an auction with 1/32 left to the tread wear indicators. If it's $500 I don't care. If it's $2000 then yes.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

When I traded my car into Tesla they just wanted photos of the exterior and interior. I don’t remember them asking anything about remaining tire tread.

• Helpful x 1
  3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'll find out soon.

If I wasn't trading in my Model S soon (within a week or two) then I'd get new tires plus the annual service. I don't see the need to do either since I'm trading it in.

I have about 40K miles on the initial set of tires.

• Like x 1
  4. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Tesla sends trade in cars to auction, I imagine they don’t care about the condition of the tires.

• Like x 2
  5. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

I have 62k on my car but I have had winter and summer sets since day one. Original tires in both cases, selling the winter set to someone I know. If they just care about exterior and interior then I'm good. My trade in is not a Tesla. The Xpel wrap on the front has done a good job keeping the front looking good and I think the LLumar Air Blue 80 may have helped the interior but I kept the car in a garage at home and at work.

I've had the SMS link on my phone for 4 days and have been nervous about starting the process. Guess I'll go to Carmax this weekend then finish the web pages from the SMS link. Thanks for the info everyone.

6. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Nope. in all my years selling cars, nobody has ever measured the tires. i sold my last ICE car to carmax when i bought my tesla and when i checked the listing a week later it shows they replaced the tires themselves.

7. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Both Carmax and Tesla gave me low ball offers ... was able to sell it privately at 2x the trade-in quote. YMMV

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

At the auction the tire condition will be noted and the bidders will bid accordingly.

Most dealerships will put on fresh tires if necessary as few people are shopping for cars with bald tires.

Would not put on fresh tires if it is going to an auction, but would if I was selling private party.

Some will just slap on some cheap chinese brands.

9. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Could make my WRX go faster for the next owner. :oops:

10. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

givemethevin, vroom, shift - folks should try them

11. trm2

trm2 Member

When I traded in for my Tesla, they did want pictures of the tire tread depth.

• Helpful x 1
  12. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

ditto

• Helpful x 1
  13. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

The process must have changed then. I'll find out myself tomorrow.