Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you carry jumper cables? If so have you needed use them?

Do you carry jumper cables and have you ever needed to use them?

• Yes, but never needed to use them.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Yes, and have needed to use them.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, I don't carry them and I have needed any.

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • No, I don't carry them but I have needed to borrow some.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just moved the pair from my old car to the new one. But these aren't cheap jumper cables, no such thing as "waiting for the battery to charge" with these, they are plug and crank.
Do I ever expect to use them with my car involved? No. But I would expect to use them if some other car is in trouble and another one is available to jump from.

So, um... Are you asking about jump cables to have in our Teslas? When would you ever need to use them? You would have to run the main battery down to 0% in order for the 12v system to go dead afterwards. Then, it ain't exactly easy on some versions to get to a 12v post if the car is locked.

And this is the time when you call Tesla service to find out what to do.

Now, if you intend to use them for jumping someone else's car you have problems. The 12v battery is very small, about 1/3 the size of a starting battery in an ICE car. So using it as source is problematic. And then you have to get to it which requires removing panels in the frunk. Much better to let ICE owners find another ICE owners with cables to do the job.

Best solution? Get a lithium jump starter pack. You can be a hero for an ICE owner that way. And if you let your Tesla die with 0% main battery AND then the 12v battery you will have a way to release the parking brake for the subsequent flatbed trip.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: thecloud and brkaus
Well, I was clearing out the ICE car ahead of taking delivery of my MS, which I just got home from picking up, and the jumper cables threw me. I figured if the 12v dies you are kinda screwed to get the thing in tow mode or other issues so was wondering if I need to put them in the MS or not. Guess this is trending towards a no! And that is all good by me.

How does one even jump start FROM a Tesla? A few weeks back a lady asked me to jump start her car, she had the cables, but I declined. Felt really bad because I’m more than happy to help out someone in need. Specifically from a Facelift S

Shouldn't the third option be "No, I don't carry them and I have not needed any."?

Even before owning a Tesla, I hadn't carried a jumper cable for years. My previous car was a first generation Prius and it had a tiny 12v battery hidden (and not readily accessible) in the trunk. Since it wasn't used to crank the engine, it lasted for years and I never needed a jumpstart. Likewise, I wasn't in a position to jumpstart someone else's car. So, no need for a jumper cable.

Last edited:
How does one even jump start FROM a Tesla? A few weeks back a lady asked me to jump start her car, she had the cables, but I declined. Felt really bad because I’m more than happy to help out someone in need. Specifically from a Facelift S
It's possible from the 12v battery. But I certainly wouldn't risk the Tesla battery or DC/DC converter on that task. As mentioned above, get a lithium starting battery. They really do work. Also, the kids can use the USB port to charge their phones and such.

Jumper cables are a relic of the previous century. Agree with all the previous posters that recommended getting rid of them, and replacing them with a portable lithium jump-start battery. I've had it come in handy for jumping a low battery in ICE vehicles several times, and it has the bonus of being able to recharge your phone or provide emergency power for a radio or other devices.