Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive with a UMC in the Trunk/Frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug_G:

i did NOT know that about the NEMA 14-50 plug!!! I really like gg_got_a_tesla solution (see below). This should very much solve the problem, correct? I am in the same boat with crappy 110V at work. Luckily my outlet is close to the floor so the UMC sits on the floor and doesn't pull or king the plug/cord.

Anyone no how much just for an extra adaptor (or a few)??? The J1722 adaptor can stay in the car. But it may be nice to have an extra 110 and 240 V adapter at home and one in the car....

So, I unplug the UMC from my home 14-50 outlet daily *while leaving the actual 14-50 plug behind in the outlet*. I expect the wear to be less that way. Tesla's UMC design is very nice with the ability to decouple the cable from the actual plug.

That's what I would recommend too for those worried about frequently unplugging the 14-50. Buy an extra adapter for home to reduce the unplugging of the 14-50 socket.

Of course if you are able to do it yourself safely (so no labor costs), changing the receptacle as it wears out might be cheaper (although if the adapter wears out that may still require replacement).

I guess based on all of your advice/responses I'm gonna risk(?) it and go with leaving the UMC in the garage. A trip to the Columbus SS (165 miles) would be the longest trip I've taken in a car in 3 years. I'll take it for that trip. The HPWC will (should?) be here soon so I don't think in my case I need an additional UMC.

Unplugging the UMC a few times a year for a trip isn't going harm the receptacle any. It's when you unplug it on a daily basis that there is some concern--and then only after a couple of years. The receptacle is around $15 so replacing it annually if you really do unplug it a lot is fairly cost effective.

A second UMC makes a lot of sense because you have a spare while waiting for a replacement.

has the plug shown signs of wear?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just take the UMC? I guess I will have to wait for my P85 to show in a couple of weeks to better understand the concerns about the plug and UMC.

In my case I'm not concerned, but don't see why I should hassle about unplugging something from the wall and putting it in the car if I'm not going to use it. I can't imagine getting even close to running out of range unless I'm on a road trip. It's so much more convenient to just leave it in the garage. I've recharged from J1772's a couple times just to test things, but I'm not sure I'll ever use my UMC away from home.

I leave mine at home plugged in. I intend to buy a spare but it's difficult to justify. I have access to a 110 at work, but with my commute I'd save MAYBE $4/week in electricity. So at best $200/yr, so... 2.5 years to recover cost. Seems dubious. Probably wont stop me, but it's hard to justify....

I leave my UMC plugged in right now. That may change when I install a HPWC. The 14-50 and 6-50 is pretty beefy so I wouldn't be too worried about the plug getting damaged and replacement outlets are not that expensive if that part wears out. At the moment I am using a 14-30 with a 20 foot extension (10 gauge) to reach my dryer outlet until I get an electrician in to install a 6-50 outlet later this month which I'll later upgrade to a HPWC.

I plan on getting a second one. Never have to unplug from the garage outlet and have the second one in the car just in case. The 40 does not have the super charging, so the UMC is the best we can do, other than the J1722 adapter.

Last edited: