Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep Creep on or off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Hill Hold functionality still exists with creep on.

Day two with creep off. There's really not much of a difference between the two modes. I'll keep it off for now. I'm really curious why the majority on here seem to prefer it off. I still feel it's marginally safer with creep on, and not much benefit for turning it off. Not sure about the energy use and brake wear. Unless the creep is fighting the brakes, then I wouldn't think this would be an issue. Now that I think about it, there would be some brake against motor resistance at very slow speeds. Anyone have an idea how much this would affect brake wear and energy use? It''s got to be very minuscule.

From my experience, Hill Hold only works on hills with Creep Mode activated. With it off, it works everywhere.

Creep OFF but my wife hates it. My car so I don't care :) But I did tell her drive it for a few days and once you are used to it, it's great! Takes a little feathering of the accelerator that after a while comes naturally

Isn’t creep profile depending? You can’t have it off in your profile and on in your wife’s?

I keep it on, but mainly for reversing into my parking space where I only have a few inches on each side. So using the brake to ease in feels much safer for me.
If I had a garage or bigger parking spot, I would probably turn it off again.

You sit at lights with no foot on the brake. I find that odd, regardless of whether creep is on or off.

If you press the brake harder, hill hold will engage.

I have a tight squeeze and a tennis ball hanging to tap my windshield to stop. I've had creep off and it's no challenge at all.

Yes, it's too bad we can't turn creep off for some people we know too - not just for our vehicles.

1 have to agree about having a toggle to turn creepy people off! .
I’ve tried several times to engage the “Hill” brake. I’ve pushed on the brake pedal harder than I’m comfortable with and it still does not engage. Does creep mode have to be turned off for it to work? Is there a trick that I’m missing?

I’ve tried several times to engage the “Hill” brake. I’ve pushed on the brake pedal harder than I’m comfortable with and it still does not engage. Does creep mode have to be turned off for it to work? Is there a trick that I’m missing?

Hill Hold should be independent of creep option. You don’t need to press very hard. Just slightly more than a regular stop. You will see the circle H icon but the main way I know it is on is that the binnacle display with your car’s icon will show the rear brake light as being on (and it is) even when you release your foot from brake.

"From my experience, Hill Hold only works on hills with Creep Mode activated. With it off, it works everywhere."

With it on, it also works everywhere, but you have to press the brake down a little further to activate it.

I think the older cars are different. I think I remember reading that they have some form of hill hold, but it's different than the current Vehicle Hold that the newer cars have.

• Informative
Reactions: Piperpilot69

The 2013 MS does the hill hold only if you are on a slope. If the car determines the slope is not enough, then no hold no matter how hard you press the brake.

This changed sometime in 2014, I believe when they changed to brakes.

The 2013 MS does the hill hold only if you are on a slope. If the car determines the slope is not enough, then no hold no matter how hard you press the brake.

This changed sometime in 2014, I believe when they changed to brakes.
Correct. They changed the brakes with the original AP hardware to facilitate AP controlling them. Pre-AP, it's "hill start assist." If the slope is opposite the direction of travel (ie upslope while in D), the brake will hold for about 3 seconds after the pedal is released.

I understand creep is a personal choice, but I really despise creep. I can accept it in an ICE automatic, but not in an EV. It may have to do with the engine sound, combined with preferring standards, because I also hated it in my mom's Prius. I find it unsettling that the car tries to move before I use the accelerator.
Also if you want to drive slower than creep goes, which happens a lot in heavy traffic, you have to brake against the motor which is just wasteful.

Reactions: Canuck
I've been using creep on our two Model S cars - and recently tried disabling it - and have now gone back to having creep mode, primarily because creep mode makes it easier to park in our garage.

Without creep mode enabled, if you stop when pulling into the garage - the brakes are engaged, and to move forward the last few inches into the garage requires pressing the accelerator and then moving your foot back to the break to stop, which requires more care to ensure that you don't overshoot the few inches you can go before hitting the wall.

With creep mode enabled, if you stop when pulling in and then release the brake, you can move the car forward, with your foot on the brake pedal and easily stop in a few inches (when the parking sensors say STOP).

What would be useful is an intermediate setting on creep mode - to allow using it for parking - and disabling it for normal driving.

ON. It reduces the number of times your foot needs to change between the brake and accelerator pedal. This is less tiring, and less prone to error, than OFF
If you are moving your foot from accelerator to brake a lot, think Autopilot!
Autopilot is why I have creep off, in stop and go traffic Autopilot is on. The rest of the time creep is bothersome.

On. Because it's just handy. A lot less foot shifting between gas/brake pedal when driving slowly and parking.

One-pedal drive with the gas pedal and regenerative breaking when driving fast. One-pedal driving with the brake pedal and creep when driving slow. If I don't want it to move, I put it in park or neutral.