Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need fire suppression for 3x Powerwalls in Northern California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah the guy basically said the reason you can't stack them on the side of the garage (like where the car won't ram it) is because then you'll have two Powerwalls that are too close to each other. The PWs need some inches between them in California even if Tesla designed them to be stackable. I don't understand any of this, but nothing about this process makes sense to me any more.

I think it's funny that outside of California where the houses get way bigger, the rules are more lax. But in California where garage space is at a premium, it's all "space them a football field apart please." And the number of reported incidents of residential ESS catching fire in California is zero. I can't find one single example of a thermal event documented anywhere.

Maybe people in California sue more. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies.

In our garage, we have space on the wall to put the same foot or so between PWs 2 and a new PW 3 that currently we do between PW 1 and 2.

Yeah the guy basically said the reason you can't stack them on the side of the garage (like where the car won't ram it) is because then you'll have two Powerwalls that are too close to each other. The PWs need some inches between them in California even if Tesla designed them to be stackable. I don't understand any of this, but nothing about this process makes sense to me any more.

I think it's funny that outside of California where the houses get way bigger, the rules are more lax. But in California where garage space is at a premium, it's all "space them a football field apart please." And the number of reported incidents of residential ESS catching fire in California is zero. I can't find one single example of a thermal event documented anywhere.

Don't worry, it doesn't make much sense even if you are in the industry.

There is a new fire performance test that is coming out/is out now. If the Powerwalls are listed to UL9540A it defines how close the individual units can be from each other. If/when Tesla passes this test then we can go back to stacking and closer than 36" separation, in jurisdictions which are choosing to adopt the new version of R327 before its official adoption.

That all assumes that your not stuck in San Fransisco where they are demanding that the testing lab (Intertek) issuing the 9540A listing is accredited by OSHA to issue a 9540A listing, which takes 1-2 years minimum to go through the process. There are currently 0 test labs that are accredited per OSHA to perform this test. The standard has been complete for less than 6 months, but that doesn't stop SF from being obstructionist. Not to mention that SF is just plain wrong since OSHA wont issue accreditations to standards unless they are pass/fail standards, which UL 9540A is not.

The rabbit hole just goes deeper and weirder the further you get in.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
By PW 3 I meant 3rd Powerwall. We currently have 2.

But maybe if I wait a while it will be a PW V3!
Darn, thought you have a hot tip
I wish there was a V3 Powerwall With 20 kWh capacity at a sustained draw of 7 kW. And of course, no larger package. Maybe with the new 4680 tabless cells coming up in a year or so we will get there.