Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I didn't make that comment I don't think its an insult. Some people take up change harder than others. This can get in the way sometimes of adopting a better way of doing things. The AOL crowd represent those who stick with something inferior because they are more comfortable with the crap they know rather then go outside their comfort zone and find something that's better.

I think creep represents this phenomenon. No one would select creep if automatic transmissions didn't exhibit this peculiar behavior in the past. But it is comforting for some. Your kids, if they even will get a change to drive, with autonomy around the corner, will never desire creep because at its core it's intuitive. Having a car do stuff inconsistently (based on grade) without user input is quite distressful unless you have been ingrained with this odd behavior. The brake hold behavior is a lot more consistent and intuitive.

Exactly. Some people won't try other things because they are sure it will be worse or they are comfortable with what they have, we are all guilty of this at times. Some tend to resist many more things in general. An example is someone that really wants a M3 but refuses based on the fact it has no manual buttons. Varying degrees in between. Creep on auto transmissions was not really a feature but a by product of a design issue.

Reactions: Perry
I have creep on so the car doesn't roll around in the opposite direction of what the drivetrain is set to. If Tesla had some automatic brake assist (not brake-hold) that applies brakes when car rolls backwards in D or forwards in R then I'll turn creep off.
Hmm.. I quite like that when I put the car in reverse it rolls forward on a grade. I use it a lot to position my car properly when backing into my driveway which has a grade. If this didn't exist I would have to switch the R/D back and forth several times. But I agree that the break assist you described should exist as an option, although I would keep it off, I see how it could be liked by some. More options is better than less.
I'm willing to become a statistic: I have creep on and use a Yahoo email. I actually work in tech and use nearly every email service but my primary (oldest) is my Yahoo one.
Yahoo email huh... Don't want to insult anyone but Yahoo email is the AOL of today. Don't know of a much crappier and outdated service as Yahoo since AOL has left, or is it still around.

Off, but admittedly this is my first non-manual transmission car. In fact, Creep-Off and no gears solved my major issues with automatic TC cars (always in the wrong gear, can't read my mind, too slow to react and creep). Never thought it'd be a Tesla that was my first non-manual car, but so be it.

Although I didn't make that comment I don't think its an insult. Some people take up change harder than others. This can get in the way sometimes of adopting a better way of doing things. The AOL crowd represent those who stick with something inferior because they are more comfortable with the crap they know rather then go outside their comfort zone and find something that's better.

I think creep represents this phenomenon. No one would select creep if automatic transmissions didn't exhibit this peculiar behavior in the past. But it is comforting for some. Your kids, if they even will get a change to drive, with autonomy around the corner, will never desire creep because at its core it's intuitive. Having a car do stuff inconsistently (based on grade) without user input is quite distressful unless you have been ingrained with this odd behavior. The brake hold behavior is a lot more consistent and intuitive.

No, that’s where you are wrong. And that’s what the “no creepers” can’t get their head around. It has nothing to do with not making a change. I think 99% of Tesla owners are early open minded adopters.

I’ve owned manual transmissions since 1976. Mostly VW and Audi. I choose to creep. I also will only use an Automatic for towing large trailers. Because Automatics are superior for that task.

It is safer/easier to do “one pedal driving” with just the brake pedal when doing tight maneuvers. Parking, tight garage, etc.

I bet if you had to do a parking accuracy test (like get as close to an obstacle without touching it). Creepers, on average, would win. Non creepers would tend to overshoot. And I know my wife would. And she was very good with a stick and had a great driving record, including minor bumps and bruises from parking.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry and evannole
Yahoo email huh... Don't want to insult anyone but Yahoo email is the AOL of today. Don't know of a much crappier and outdated service as Yahoo since AOL has left, or is it still around.
I have several different email addresses but prefer my venerable (1998) Yahoo one, for a wide variety of reasons. I particularly dislike gmail, a more recent system. Yahoo mail has changed a lot over the years, as other services have as well, I suppose.

I guess this makes me old-school — I don't even have a Facebook, or any other social media account (unless things like TMC count), to my niece's considerable irritation. Never knew that a particular email address was a mark of sophistication — I bow to your much greater digital savvy!

As I mentioned above, creep off for me. Comes from more than 435k miles of manual transmission driving. I rather like the Tesla hill hold and use it regularly here in the mountains. (With manual transmissions I was quite good at using the parking brake for hill holding when starting up on a hill and always shifted to neutral when at a stop, versus "riding the clutch" as so many others do.)

Reactions: Nvbob
Off, because I've driven manuals my whole life.

I turned it on when I was removing some chains from the car though. Easier to feather the brake to get the wheels to turn just a little.

Exactly. I like the car to move “just a little” and it’s easier to “feather the brake”. Any time I need to, not just to remove chains. You just helped proved my comment that if you were to test accuracy, creepers would win. I like the precision and control you have with creep on.

Last edited:
I have several different email addresses but prefer my venerable (1998) Yahoo one, for a wide variety of reasons. I particularly dislike gmail, a more recent system. Yahoo mail has changed a lot over the years, as other services have as well, I suppose.

I guess this makes me old-school — I don't even have a Facebook, or any other social media account (unless things like TMC count), to my niece's considerable irritation. Never knew that a particular email address was a mark of sophistication — I bow to your much greater digital savvy!

As I mentioned above, creep off for me. Comes from more than 435k miles of manual transmission driving. I rather like the Tesla hill hold and use it regularly here in the mountains. (With manual transmissions I was quite good at using the parking brake for hill holding when starting up on a hill and always shifted to neutral when at a stop, versus "riding the clutch" as so many others do.)

I use hotmail which if I remember correctly came before yahoo (as email service).

But I never _driven_ a stick shift although I spent on evening and have learned to drive decently enough that I could navigate city driving but used that skill afterwards. And it I have learned it in an actual truck - i.e. big vehicle with big box behind the cabin.. can't remember whether it was two axle or three...

And parking brake is why I like civic more than odyssey (even of both of them automatic) when you need to stop on those steep inclines - odyssey's parking brake is foot activated :(

On. I have to squeeze into very tight parking spots and summon takes too long. I also like the creep when going uphill at a light. Haven't heard much in terms of the pros of having it off.

That’s funny you’d say that because this thread is chock full of pros for having creep off. You just have to decide whether they are compelling for you. Have you tried it off for a week to see what you think?

Your translation not my words. I never used any of those words.
I don't care if you are pretending or actually didn't understand, but just remember this; being sarcastic doesn't do anything good. Treat others with repect who have different preferences.:)

I did not disrespect anyone that is your interpretation but thank you for watching out for everyones sensitivity and injecting your own words into things I did not say. Did you know Gmail users are 67% more likely to be righteous than non-gmail users? That number goes to 89% of they have switched from AOL within the last three years. Oh, yes and no sarcasm ever because is does no good, that's a good one in today's world. I'm sure that offended plenty of people actually, not very sensitive.

Last edited:
That’s funny you’d say that because this thread is chock full of pros for having creep off. You just have to decide whether they are compelling for you. Have you tried it off for a week to see what you think?

I have a feeling few even know about the brake hold feature. Anyone that has an issue with a hill would discover that creep has nothing to do with that, if you stop at the top of a hold the brake hold feature is the the safest and easiest method to do this and having creep on is not effective or safe so having it off is not a disadvantage on hills if you use brake hold. There are only advantages to having creep off if you use it properly and make a slight adjustment to learned behaviors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry
On. I have to squeeze into very tight parking spots and summon takes too long. I also like the creep when going uphill at a light. Haven't heard much in terms of the pros of having it off.

I haven’t seen a single pro for creep-off either.

Only one I keep seeing mentioned is they don’t want to change from their manual transmission behavior introduced around 1900. And the only thing similar is that it can rolls backwards on the slightest incline (intentional or not).

Seems like the non creepers are the ones clinging to the past.

Does that mean non creepers most probably still use US Postal service for their mail service ;)