Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, so I guess there is no point in changing then. I like the creep. Sometimes my car bugs out (or maybe it's a feature?) where I put it in drive or reverse and it doesn't creep. I'm forced to tap the pedal to get it going and it jumps way too much. I have the performance version so maybe it's not as big of a deal in the lower models.

I'll give no creep a try but I I'm not the most agile in my ankle anymore so it will have to be tuned well for me to switch safely.

People don't like manuals for a reason.

It depends on how heavy your foot is on brake when you put it in drive. If it's on heavy it will start in hold and you still have to hit the gas pedal. If it's on light it will creep as soon as your lift your foot.

I had been using creep since I bought the car as it felt more like automatics I’ve driven in the past. After I saw this thread, I tried turning it off for a couple of days just to see how I’d like it. Hated it. Seemed like much more work. I’m just way too used to creep now to go back.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Regen doesn’t apply at creep speed.
No change in efficiency with creep on.
AP resume rules work pretty much the same creep on or off.

Brake hold might be more sensitive with it off. I’m not sure. I tend to have my foot lightly on the brake at a traffic light. Just as creep on folks likely would. Creep on don’t want to roll forward, creep off don’t want to roll backward. Either mode can do a brake hold.

So in normal traffic with or without hold, using it the way most people would it’s not that different.

It’s really only different for tight maneuvers. And creep is better with “feathering the brake” for that.

Some non creepers think they are getting higher efficiency with it off. They are not.

Are you sure?

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5
Are you sure?

I have creep off so it's been a while, but two of the three "secrets" work with both creep off or on (hold function and engaging autopilot).

I don't know what speed creep actually goes (but 9 mph seems high), any benefit you actually get from additional regen (it any) would be negligible. Even in the video, the regen indicator was about 1/4 inch.

Having creep on or off is personal preference, neither is wrong. I feel I have better speed control over the car with creep off but completely understand people being more comfortable with creep on.

Reactions: mswlogo
I haven’t seen a single pro for creep-off either.

Only one I keep seeing mentioned is they don’t want to change from their manual transmission behavior introduced around 1900. And the only thing similar is that it can rolls backwards on the slightest incline (intentional or not).

Seems like the non creepers are the ones clinging to the past.

Does that mean non creepers most probably still use US Postal service for their mail service ;)
Ok, I know you're trolling but I'll answer anyway for the non creepers.
Pros:
1. Consistency - with creep on you have none, because behavior changes based on hill grade; sometimes creep will hold the roll back but if too steep it wont so you still have to use brake hold. If you still need break hold in some situations why not have the consistency and use that all the time for less brain fatigue on deciding to do it or not.

2. Natural behavior - which means its not an artificial emulation of some other behavior not native to electric cars just like Audi adding fake engine noises on their electric vehicles is in a way just as silly; so non creepers are not nostalgic about manual transmissions but just desire the native behavior of electric cars which I think is more intuitive than creep.

3. Not having the car do stuff on its own without user input. If you throw all your previous experiences out the door and think from basic principles, having a car do stuff on its own makes no sense. I want to be in charge of the machine I drive and don't need it to do stuff on its own or worse requiring me to take action (braking) to stop it from doing stuff on its own.

4. Brake hold engages faster. I can not confirm this because I haven't tested but people on this forum have said that with creep off the brake hold engages easier or faster

5. Easier to shimmy back/forth to adjust parking position on a steep driveway because you can go back and forth without switching between drive and reverse (I use this technique every day).

6. Ability to creep slower than creep. I happen to enjoy doing this waiting in traffic, seeing how slow I can creep feathering the accelerator.

Reactions: TT97
My garage in San Francisco is super narrow and tight so I need creep mode on as I find stepping on the gas is just a little too much acceleration.

That said, I could easily turn it off while driving. I only need it to get in and out of my garage.
Can't say I can relate because I have a performance model and still can creep slower feathering throttle than the auto creep feature.

That was the reason we turn creep on after trying it for a few days. Hill hold engaging is nice but when you have to go forward and backward (like parking) multiple times on an incline, it just get tedious. My wife wants her car just drives like a normal car (just faster). We are 30% who just want their cars to drive like other cars except faster and no engine sound. Maybe if we take the time to learn it, we will like creep off better, but what happened if we get an ice car for rental or loaner? Then we will not only complaining about how the loaner is slow but also got creep on! The horror. :p
Yea some generations are slow with change and quick adaptation between various control forms. But for others like me who have played video games for 35 years with all sorts control schemes, switching between cars with different behaviors doesn't consume even 1% extra brain power.

Conclusion? Play more video games.

Ok, I know you're trolling but I'll answer anyway for the non creepers.
Pros:
1. Consistency - with creep on you have none, because behavior changes based on hill grade; sometimes creep will hold the roll back but if too steep it wont so you still have to use brake hold. If you still need break hold in some situations why not have the consistency and use that all the time for less brain fatigue on deciding to do it or not.

3. Not having the car do stuff on its own without user input. If you throw all your previous experiences out the door and think from basic principles, having a car do stuff on its own makes no sense. I want to be in charge of the machine I drive and don't need it to do stuff on its own or worse requiring me to take action (braking) to stop it from doing stuff on its own.

6. Ability to creep slower than creep. I happen to enjoy doing this waiting in traffic, seeing how slow I can creep feathering the accelerator.

Some of these key points are the exact reason why I keep creep on. When I'm not on any pedal, in 99.9% of the time, I know the car will move forward. And it takes much less effort to creep slowly by letting off the brake by an inch than feathering the accelerator by a few millimeters making it more of a convenience feature.

Many ICE cars prevent hill rollbacks by automatically applying brakes when it detects reverse movement while in Drive. If Teslas had this feature I'd be much more likely to try creep off again.

One thing I liked about creep off was it allowed me to regen a bit more down to around 6-7mph whereas creep on stopped at around 10, but since v48.12 I noticed regen still works down to 8mph now.

Reactions: evannole