Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla is limiting the MYP's launch performance to not compete with the M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a couple of shots, but not glamour shots by any means. These are the 19" x 9.5 +45's in a square setup with Vredestein Quatrac Pros. For some reason, they almost look smaller but they have the exact same circumference as the Pirellis. The difference was noticeable immediately. The steering felt lighter and more responsive especially at lower speeds, the road noise diminished a bit, and the sense of "urgency" feeling every bit of grit on the road surface was reduced as well; so a bit smoother and lighter all around. I would swear there's a tad more jump off the line but I didn't measure it in any way, so maybe my expectations made me perceive it as such. I also haven't calculated any range difference as I take all sorts of different trips under all sorts of different circumstances (loads, distances, speeds, etc.) They really open up the view to the calipers whereas the Uber's pretty much blocked everything. I have since put color-matched Tesla "T" center caps in. To be fair I'd say this review would apply to any of the wheels in this weight range, so not specific to the Martian's. It's a matter of taste, and I look at the wheels as much as I look at the car because I can't look at one without the other lol.

Congrats on your new ride! Good choice!

View attachment 673320View attachment 673321
I did the exact same setup on my MYP and agree with pretty much all of your comments. It definitely feels lighter, but not as firmly planted to me which isn't surprising given the tire change. I did some baseline runs on the previous setup and will try to get some in on the new setup with the Dragy but the weather is cooling down quickly here so not sure of traction would be the same at this point.

I have been debating between the M3P and MYP. I've test driven both and there was a lot to like about both of them. When I drove the MYP, it was clearly slower off the line. It does seem that from about 50 mph on up, it seemed very close to the M3P. Given that the MYP is rolling on bigger, heavier wheels, that don't do anything to help the acceleration.

I've looked at some test results from what people have posted for their cars and did some analysis on both models. It seems like the MYP only really lags the M3P is in the first 200'. Typically by 330' and on, it looks like they accelerate at pretty much the same rate. So this was very interesting as I waded through the data.

It seems like there are quite a few things at play here. Obviously, the MYP is making more power than the M3P. Given its trap speeds are almost the same, and it weighs about 10% more than the M3P and rolling on slower wheels yet the rate of acceleration after initial launch pretty much matches the M3P wheel for wheel to the end of the quarter mile.

So does Tesla limit the power at launch to basically cripple the MYP's performance so as to keep the M3P faster? Or did Tesla throw everyone a bone and give an HP boost down track so it would be more fun. I haven't run the numbers but I suspect if they didn't give that boost to the MYP, the M3 LR AWD would probably beat the MYP or at least run very close to it.

I guess the flip side of this is, if they did do something to boost the MYP performance, they could do that for the M3P and make it even quicker. Now that the MS series is even quicker, they would have the headroom to do that from a marketing perspective.

For our family, we'd love the extra room of the MYP but I don't want to give up the off-the-line performance of the M3P. I spend a lot of time riding hyper performance motorcycles so I am looking for a really fun daily driver. My wife would like the extra room for kid stuff that the MYP has. So if the MYP ran like the M3P at launch, it would be an easy decision.

So do you think Tesla is limiting the launch performance or did they give a bonus? Any chance of maybe an OTA option to make the MYP closer to the M3P?
Actually it's the other way around Tesla has given the Model Y at least an additional 25 horsepower to close the gap with the Model 3 Performance. Dyno testing shows this. And when you get the numbers from apps like scan my Tesla it looks like you're getting at least 16 kilowatts more which works out to approximately 24-25 horsepower. When you do the power to weight calculation, with the Model Y 400 pounds heavier, its power to weight ratio is just slightly worse than the Model 3 Performance. A lot of folks in Model 3 land wish that we could get the model Y enhancements to push our 0-60 down to three seconds.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Watching this video BMW i4 M50 v Tesla Model 3 Performance: DRAG RACE,
a M3P with little bit more power would be great, especially to cover the gap between the MP3 and the MS Plaid.

The specs online I found on the i4 M50 says its 0 to 60 in 3.7 and 12.1 second quarter mile. Model 3 has better numbers than that.

Unless the ricer body kit on the Model 3 made it slower or the BMW is under rated, I would think the Model 3 should be at least a car length.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
BMW usually underrates their cars.

The specs online I found on the i4 M50 says its 0 to 60 in 3.7 and 12.1 second quarter mile. Model 3 has better numbers than that.

Unless the ricer body kit on the Model 3 made it slower or the BMW is under rated, I would think the Model 3 should be at least a car length.

Watching this video BMW i4 M50 v Tesla Model 3 Performance: DRAG RACE,
a M3P with little bit more power would be great, especially to cover the gap between the MP3 and the MS Plaid.

That Model 3 had either a low state of charge or something else wrong with it. Without any modifications, M3P will run 11.5-11.7 1/4 mi times like clockwork, typically within a tenth of its best time all day (if you can keep SOC up). Check draggy results.

Model 3 still reigns.

0 to 60 3.62 on the BMW i and M badge, the YP is faster.
The Real Race so to speak that we don't talk about much on this forum is the 0 to $5,000 out-of-pocket race. The BMW wins that hands down most of the time, particularly if you charge your Tesla off your solar system. You basically have almost no maintenance and minimal "fuel"costs. Once you get past the BMW's complimentary maintenance period you are going to get hosed to the tune of several thousand dollars a year to maintain the car and that's before you put any fossil fuel in it. And that's assuming your BMW isn't vulnerable to the usual BMW engine Gremlins which are legendary as any BMW owner with any experience will confess.

As reported in these forums, going with smaller wheels on the MYP also increases 0-60. This was tested with a draggy with multiple passes. Improvment was from 3.5sec to 3.3sec, don't remember if it was 20s or 19s, will edit if I run into it again.

Reactions: dfwatt
As reported in these forums, going with smaller wheels on the MYP also increases 0-60. This was tested with a draggy with multiple passes. Improvment was from 3.5sec to 3.3sec, don't remember if it was 20s or 19s, will edit if I run into it again.
Was that the test where they used smaller diameter tires, as well? I think they threw on some model 3 wheels/tires?