Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla will bring back Sunroof option again this year 2019?

When will Panoramic Roof/Sunroof come back for Model S?

• This year 2019

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Next year 2020

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Year 2021

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Never...

Votes: 49 62.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the pano roofs on my 2012 and 2013 Model S’s every single chance I get. I’m in Phoenix, so that means from October through May, when it’s not blazing hot. I absolutely love the open air feel.

I personally can’t stand the glass roof. It just makes it hotter for me with no option to open it.

I think if they bring it back, I would personally love it and I think would be a very popular option again, but with Tesla struggling to achieve profitability, it’ll have to make more business sense and I don’t think they’re missing out on too many sales right now due to lack of sunroof. That said, for me personally, if I get another Model S within the next year, I plan on buying a used one with the pano roof.

I'm in northern California and thought I'd use the roof more than I do now. With the roof closed, the temperature in the car is great (or gets to the desired temperature quickly), the air is clean, outside noise stays outside, and there's no chance of things (pollen, bird poop) falling into my car.

• Love
Reactions: djlott
The large panorama roof is one of the things I love the most about the Model S.

I can't imagine buying another car without a sunroof. It's a shame the sunroof was discontinued and I hope they bring it back.

This notion that sunroofs are an unsolvable service headache is BS. I've had sunroofs that operated flawlessly in cars for 2 decades and *knock on wood* my Model S sunroof functions properly as well. If there are issues, I wish they'd fix them rather than discontinue the sunroof.

I love the sunroof so much I would not want a "free" exchange to a Raven Model S if it meant I'd lose the sunroof.

It's a shame to see the Model S sales go down when removing the sunroof has made the current Model S less appealing to customers.

Reactions: plumazul
I have to agree with the other posters, the pano/sunroof is not coming back. Elon said the S and X are not a priority.

So, I plan on enjoying my pre refresh car, with pano, leather, larger frunk and Trunk, untill the wheels fall off or the warranty runs out, whichever happens first.

That said, I could learn to live without the pano, the all glass roof has even more head room, and is well tinted, plus sunshades, which I use in the current car, could be added.

Bottom line, is it worth 40-50k to upgrade? I think not. If I am wrong, could always get a used 2020 Raven in 2023...

Reactions: FlatSix911
Our 2012 S P85 and 2017 S 100D both have sunroofs - in Texas - and have never had any problem.

Before Overheat Protection, venting the sunroof helped to keep the vehicle cooler in the hot sun, but that's no longer needed since the A/C will keep the temperature at 105 or less.

Even with the high heat during the summers, for much of the year, I've opened the sunroof - especially on short drives not requiring highway speeds.

When it comes time to replace our 100D, the lack of sunroof will be a factor in the purchase decision.

For the next 12-24 months, it seems highly unlikely we'll see the sunroof return. Tesla needs to streamline S/X manufacturing, and adding a different roof increases, not decreases, manufacturing complexity.

Longer term, the market will likely drive whether or not Tesla brings back the sunroof. S will have competitors - if the lack of a sunroof starts losing sales to other manufacturers, Tesla could bring it back.

Though for now, Tesla's focus is more on the higher volume 3/Y/pickup markets - and not in making major design improvements to S/X and their smaller markets.

Since we plan to keep our 100D for 8 years or 100K miles - we've got a few years before we'll worry about its replacement... And by then, if Tesla or any other manufacturer is able to achieve FSD, the lack of a sunroof may not be a major factor in our purchase decision.

Our 2012 S P85 and 2017 S 100D both have sunroofs - in Texas - and have never had any problem.

Before Overheat Protection, venting the sunroof helped to keep the vehicle cooler in the hot sun, but that's no longer needed since the A/C will keep the temperature at 105 or less.
Even with overheat protections, I still open the Pano and crack the windows because the A/C runs much less when I do this.

Never had any Pano problems either, although last time they said it took a long time to clean out the rain drains.

I think it's heavily dependent on where you live.

I'm not so sure, the UK market has traditionally been quite strong for sunroofs, but as A/C became better and more common it has dropped off.

For me though it isn't a matter of where I live as I split my time between the UK and Texas, I just don't like them wherever I am :)

Not having the pano roof available is a major reason we haven't bought a new S. My crystal ball says that until Tesla becomes comfortably profitable they're going to keep removing content. However, I do think that Tesla will be profitable by the end of next year or so and sometime around 2021 there may also be some real competition that will force them to add more features to their cars.

I voted 2021.

So I just sold my car and I'm driving a penalty box right now (Kia Soul) and absolutely miss the open sky feeling of the Model S panoramic sunroof. It really is nice to use the vent mode when you park it, and use your Tesla sunshades. It's like a filter that blocks things from dropping into the cabin.

Anyway, I sure hope they bring it back. It would be neat if they could use that variable opactiy technology Mercedes has been using for years (I mean c'mon, we've borrowed some switch gear from them in the past!)

Like this:

I’m thinking no.

I've been in loaners without a sunroof and it's completely different experience and it no longer feels like the Model S I love so much without the sunroof. I bet not having a sunroof available is affecting the pace of existing customers buying a currently available Model S. A shame they messed up one of the model beautiful car designs by making the roof a sealed glass panel rather than the large sunroof that lets in so much light and fresh air when the weather is nice.

I've been in loaners without a sunroof and it's completely different experience and it no longer feels like the Model S I love so much without the sunroof. I bet not having a sunroof available is affecting the pace of existing customers buying a currently available Model S. A shame they messed up one of the model beautiful car designs by making the roof a sealed glass panel rather than the large sunroof that lets in so much light and fresh air when the weather is nice.

I have a sunroof in my Model S. I do like it a lot. But it wouldn’t stop me from getting another model S someday down the line. The glass roof looks sharp too.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
So I just sold my car and I'm driving a penalty box right now (Kia Soul) and absolutely miss the open sky feeling of the Model S panoramic sunroof. It really is nice to use the vent mode when you park it, and use your Tesla sunshades. It's like a filter that blocks things from dropping into the cabin.
Exactly! In a house, you have mesh screens in the windows so you can open them wide while keeping out the flies. The Tesla sunshade is the equivalent for your open pano roof. It fits securely in the channel around the headliner opening (larger than the roof opening), so it doesn't rattle or get sucked out at highway speeds. Like a window screen, you can see through it fine. Plus there's some protection if the crows in your area like to take target practice on cars below them. :eek:

And yes, the pano roof is one of the reasons I keep enjoying my "old" Model S. About the only compelling reason to trade up would be the increased range [1], but to get that, I'd have to give up the sunroof, large frunk capacity, light headliner, quiet rear-wheel drive, and FUSC.

[1] Currently compelling reason, that is. Full self driving may be compelling as well someday. I continue to inhale and exhale normally.

It is one reason why I didn't buy the Model 3 (also due to lack of an in-front-of-face display or HUD) and bought a 2016 MS.

If, when it comes time to get something new, there is no sunroof option on any of the Teslas, I will definitely look at other mfg. My last 2 cars were convertibles and because of that I want/need some large hole in my roof for the 8 months we have decent weather here in Michigan to feel the breeze :)

Reactions: PhilDavid
I'm in northern California and thought I'd use the roof more than I do now. With the roof closed, the temperature in the car is great (or gets to the desired temperature quickly), the air is clean, outside noise stays outside, and there's no chance of things (pollen, bird poop) falling into my car.

I live in NorCal as well. The weather here could not be better suited for a sunroof virtually year-round. That said, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I have opened the sunroof, and 4 of those were because I hit the wrong button. I do use the vent when I park, but other than that, I prefer a car without one.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I live in NorCal as well. The weather here could not be better suited for a sunroof virtually year-round. That said, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I have opened the sunroof, and 4 of those were because I hit the wrong button. I do use the vent when I park, but other than that, I prefer a car without one.

Sometimes it is not the number of times you use it, but the knowledge you CAN use it when you want to... :p

I feel like I'm in a cave when in a vehicle without a sunroof!

I use the sunroof in my 2016 S almost everyday driving with it open when the weather permits and always using it to vent the car other than in winter. If it doesn’t return, I’ll never buy another new Tesla. I’d love to upgrade to 370 miles of range but not at the expense of losing my sunroof. I’m really starting to believe my next vehicle will be the Rivian SUV or the Escalade EV when those hit the market. With a growing family, we need a larger vehicle anyway.