Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a screen protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't use one on my X. Just like I don't use one on my phone. I just prefer using the screen without one because I don't like the extra gap between my finger and the screen when there is a screen protector. But of course, I could see why people want one. Its just preference....

If you really want one, I recommend the abstract ocean ones. My friend has one, and he says it's great!

I've always used the thin plastic ones on phones because I didn't like the feel of the slicker glass and that "gap" feeling. My phones glass is always pristine, and phones do scratch.

But the Model 3 screen is fairly exposed and someone did crack theirs by bumping their phone into it (I think). It's like $1200 to replace. I think because the screen is so large I don't get that "gap" sense. Slickness feels identical.

I can guarantee both plastic screen protectors or glass ones reduce the odds of damaging your screen. Of course it will not always protect it, but it certainly reduces the odds.

I have the Abstract Ocean one and you'd never know it's there. I have the glossy one. I installed a friends matt one and it also looks great. Almost wish I got the matt, it really looks good. But I wanted the factory glossy look.

If anyone does buy one from someone besides Abstract Ocean you should confirm that it has a CURVED bottom (some say it in the description). The Model 3 screen does not have a straight edge on the bottom. Check QA or reviews to confirm it has the curve.

I found you need way more tape than was Abstract Ocean supplies to hold it steady while you peel the sticky side backing off.

If you get bubbles, LEAVE IT. They usually go away. If you get lint, your screwed but it will often hide small bits.
Plastic ones you can peel back and try to use tape. But in the dusty car you likely to add more lint than remove.

I've installed two Abstract Ocean Glass ones and they came out absolutely perfect.

When you drop the glass ones on, try to guide the "wave" so that it sticks from the center outward. If the edges grab quicker you can end up with a huge island bubble. If you see and island bubble forming "help it' fill in with a little pressure with your hands. Only needs a tiny bit. Bubbles on edges can be pushed out easy. Center bubbles are harder. Small bubbles should disappear over night.

When I installed my center screen protector I ran the A/C on recirc for a minute and it helped suck some of the dust out of the air. It gave me a fighting chance to get the screen clean before more dust stuck to it. I turned off the A/C before the final screen clean and install.