Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 0 to 60 really matter? What about 55 to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For 55-75 the P3D will do that with super car performance and the other car will barely be in the right gear before a car length or 2 are put on
My un-scientific, anecdotal experience corroborates this.

Frequently on S. California freeways I find owners of high horsepower German, Japanese and US made cars often challenge me by swooping in front or coming up behind within less than one car length. In less than two seconds, I can leave them behind like they're standing still. I'd love to see their faces when that happens. I'm driving a Dual Motor, non-Performance Model 3.

There were only 6,188 Panamera sold in the US in 2011, which makes it less than 1/2 of 1% of all cars sold that year. Also of those, the Turbo accounted for about 1/3 of the sales. So it’s not in that 98.732%.
What about the other vehicles produced that have similar performance of the Panamera Turbo? It's in the 98% even though production numbers aren't as high as other mass-produced vehicles.

I don't know about you, but I don't ever accelerate fast off the line. (Maybe if I had a Model3 Performance I would.)
You would.

Generally, I find that most of my acceleration is going from about 55 to 75 or 80 to pass a car in the fast lane. Does the Model 3 Performance beat ICE vehicle at this speed?
Don't have any numbers but my 3P+ is at least as quick in that range as any other car I've driven because it has no lag. Above around 90 mph is where it bogs finally bogs down. My old '91 Nissan 300ZX was still pulling strong at 90, up to around 125-130. Of course, you rarely get to test that.

In a gasser, cruising at 55 will usually have the car lugging around in top gear, turning relatively few revs to optimize fuel economy. Pressing on the accelerator usually just results in a bog or a downshift.

When suddenly called upon to make a pass the pedal is pressed to the floor, the electronice determine that the driver wants to accelerate and will call for multiple downshifts like from 8th gear down to 3rd. The transmission will make those shifts and the engine will be accelerated to higher revs to effect the torque multiplication necessary to move the heavy car as fast as possible.

The higher revs will cause the turbos to also engage and speed up to maximize torque. (for naturally aspirated gassers, this step will be eliminated). The boost will build and the revs will rise until maximum safe revs are attained.

The car will then pause, shift up to the next gear, and torque will then be re-engaged to provide addition thrust as it again moves up into the more powerful area of the revs.

This adds tremendous shock and strain to the drive train. The tires may break loose on the shifts if the road is wet or slick.

After the pass is finished, things will once again quiet down as the transmission once again shifts into top gear to reduce engine wear and increase fuel consumption. All this output varies considerably depending on elevation and air density.
a colorful but wrong dramatization of the way a modern car actually works. a modern transmission will make downshift across multiple gears directly.

hell, in spirited driving, the transmission already learned from drivers intent and will pre-shift for maximum performance. i.e., if im slowing down as if going in a corner, the transmission will automatically downshift to ready the throttle to power out of corner... AND eliminates the driveline shock if it were to be asked to shift-midcorner.

modern performance cars are also multi-turboed and otherwise engineered for flatter torque response (this isnt a spikey 1980s 911 Turbo...), and combined with the 8/9 speed transmission, lowers the torque differential across gears and lessens chance of shift-induced loss of control.

The 260hp 930 Turbo was known to be a widow maker, and the 480HP Ferrari F40 was considered uncontrollable. Now Mercedes put 380hp in its smallest hatchback and 600hp+ in its luxury sedans and station wagons because tires are so good and traction systems are so effective.

your description may have been true had they been frozen in the 80s, but they remain hilarious to read due to their wild exaggeration

Very few cars in this price range have DCTs. Most have standard 8 speed automatic transmission. It usually takes a jump up $10-$20k to get a DTC.
DCTs are equipped in VWs, Seats, Skodas, Kia-Hyundais, Peugeots, Citroens, Renaults -- all of which are downmarket and lower priced than any Tesla. Ever since VW stuck them in the Golf about a decade ago they became quite commoditized rather than exotic.

they're also also a bit obviated since a torque-converter transmission like the ZF8HP will provide all of the performance (direct skip-shifts, instant changes, full torque lockout, etc) with all the smoothness and high torque handling. theyre specced in Audi A4, BMW 1 series, Jeep SUVs, etc..... in addition to Lambos and Bentleys

Reactions: afadeev
Getting back on topic, to me:

• 0-60 is hugely irrelevant because of its dependency on drivetrain configuration, gearing, and availability or effectiveness of launch control. It doesn't make matter unless you make a living launching cars from a stop. A rolling 5-60 is a more practical measure, as it emulates e.g. driving out of a tollbooth.
  • 55-75 is also too narrow a speed window. something more relatable is 40-80, closer to a freeway merge from a ramp
  • and if we're talking about driving on autobahn or similar, a pass you might make is something like 70-105 (and beyond)....

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Getting back on topic, to me:

• 0-60 is hugely irrelevant because of its dependency on drivetrain configuration, gearing, and availability or effectiveness of launch control. It doesn't make matter unless you make a rolling launching cars from a stop. A rolling 5-60 is a more practical measure, as it emulates e.g. driving out of a tollbooth.
  • 55-75 is also too narrow a speed window. something more relatable is 40-80, closer to a freeway merge from a ramp
  • and if we're talking about driving on autobahn or similar, a pass you might make is something like 70-105 (and beyond)....

the 5-60 rolling time for the M3P is ridiculous. Way faster than most ICE cars that require boost buildup from 0-60.
The 40-80 is also ridiculous for the M3P since there is instant response. The 80-120 pull is pretty decent but not exceptional.

Getting back on topic, to me

Drivers never seem to acknowledge that there are two really different ways to drive an ICE vehicle.
1) in a race you never gear down and you are always ready to hit the throttle with the turbos spooled up
2) you are toodling along and realize you want to pass or fill the gap but you are in the wrong gear and the turbo is at low boost.

The vast majority of the time on real roads everybody is in the second situation - and that’s where EVs totally dominate.
Drive a Tesla for a while then you will be convinced and everything else will feel slow and unresponsive.

Regarding acceleration at highway speed. I recently was behind two pickups hauling trailers at 40 mph on a two lane road. There was a long open stretch so I floored the accelerator and was only intent on driving, not my speed. By the time I was back in my lane my wife noted the car was at 103 mph. The car felt perfectly normal (no vibration, noise, etc) and it seemed that only 4 seconds had passed to go from 40 to 103. No cops around but the lesson learned was that the M3 AWD can go faster quicker than I imagined and will be more circumspect in the future when passing.

Drivers never seem to acknowledge that there are two really different ways to drive an ICE vehicle.
1) in a race you never gear down and you are always ready to hit the throttle with the turbos spooled up
2) you are toodling along and realize you want to pass or fill the gap but you are in the wrong gear and the turbo is at low boost.

The vast majority of the time on real roads everybody is in the second situation - and that’s where EVs totally dominate.

A very outdated 1990s scenario you described with turbo lag and a kick-down on a 5 speed slushbucket.

A contemporary price-pal to a Tesla is something like a 335/340/S4 class type of car. In these, the gear shift completes by the time you register the paddle's click, and twin scroll turbo means lag is a distant past.

In actual driving -- "vast majority of time on real roads " -- your passes are premeditated even if for as little as 1 second, looking ahead on a 2-lane country road, or looking back at the fast lane on an interstate.

I don't buy into this fantasy scenario where everyone is constantly zig zagging like maniacs, and power to pass is predicated on this hyper-response advantage conferred to electric cars, never before actualized by anyone else.

I don't buy into this fantasy scenario where everyone is constantly zig zagging like maniacs, and power to pass is predicated on this hyper-response advantage conferred to electric cars, never before actualized by anyone else.
Your opinion would quickly change if you spent 30 minutes on a California freeway near any major city, where zig zagging like maniacs...usually while simultaneously texting or applying make-up in the vanity mirror...is an every day occurrence.

Last edited:
Your opinion would quickly change if you spent 30 minutes on a California freeway near any major city, where zig zagging like maniacs...usually while simultaneously texting or applying make-up in the vanity mirror...is an every day occurrence.
When I lived in California, kids were able to do that in their 100hp Civics and Integras with garish stickers and bodykits. No electric motors required!

• Funny
I don't know about you, but I don't ever accelerate fast off the line.
Duh, because you don’t have a car as well suited for it as —any— Tesla is. You show an inkling of this in your post, but errantly limit it to the P.

What you didn’t grasp, but maybe do now, is that any car priced remotely like the 3 (and most costing a lot more) can’t touch it 55-75. By the time you (or the automatic trans) has found the right gear and the drivetrain has settled to start climbing the Model 3 is at or nearly to 75. Making it 55-90 opens the window more but the power required to make up lost time is huge, and if the ICE’s gear ratios happens to require a second shift in there, or the ratios selected in design are a poor match for the arbitrary speed numbers chosen, then forget about it.

Reactions: KG M3 and tvad
You would.

Don't have any numbers but my 3P+ is at least as quick in that range as any other car I've driven because it has no lag. Above around 90 mph is where it bogs finally bogs down. My old '91 Nissan 300ZX was still pulling strong at 90, up to around 125-130. Of course, you rarely get to test that.
“Bog” being a relative term. You’re still producing about 400hp, edit> to the ground (AKA in-line with the non-P AWD 3) and still not constrained by time spent to make a shift. But coming from where the P is below that you definitely begin feeling mortal. :)

Last edited:

Happens all the time. You get some as$hat camping in the left lane and when a stretch opens on the right they speed up until the catch someone else to pace. Being able to blow past them on the right before they can even react is nice.