Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does $2k upgrade from EAP to FSD include upgrading CW 2.5 to FSD computer for free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does $2k upgrade from EAP to FSD include upgrading CW 2.5 to FSD computer for free?
I have a 2018 M3 with EAP. I made an appointment for the 2.5 to 3.0 upgrade this morning. They priced it out at $1k. I have not paid the $2k yet for the FSD upgrade. I told them I thought it was free if I was upgrading to FSD. Tech responded $1k for the hardware, $2k for the software. I’m probably agreeable regardless of whether it is $2k or $3k as I think FSD will more likely be elligible for transfer than EAP will and I am already $5k in on EAP. I just don’t want to pay more than everyone else.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 M3 with EAP. I made an appointment for the 2.5 to 3.0 upgrade this morning. They priced it out at $1k. I have not paid the $2k yet for the FSD upgrade. I told them I thought it was free if I was upgrading to FSD. Tech responded $1k for the hardware, $2k for the software. I’m probably agreeable regardless of whether it is $2k or $3k as I think FSD will more likely be elligible for transfer than EAP will and I am already $5k in on EAP. I just don’t want to pay more than everyone else.

Same situation as you. I put in a service request for computer upgrade last night, I was told if I buy FSD the computer upgrade would be free.

Reactions: Nikon201068
Upvote 0
Same situation as you. I put in a service request for computer upgrade last night, I was told if I buy FSD the computer upgrade would be free.
That is not the response I got. Computer upgrade is $1k and FSD is $2k. It seems that if you pay the $2k then you have lost your leverage to negotiate for free computer upgrade. What do they care if you pay $2k for software that you can’t run unless you spend another $1k for hardware.

Upvote 0
That is not the response I got. Computer upgrade is $1k and FSD is $2k. It seems that if you pay the $2k then you have lost your leverage to negotiate for free computer upgrade. What do they care if you pay $2k for software that you can’t run unless you spend another $1k for hardware.

Keep pushing on it. Initially I was told the computer upgrade would be customer pay too.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Sounds like a new policy that's only applying to your case.

Tesla has consistently upgrade to HW3 for free if you pay fully for FSD (not subscription).

I guess they have been doing that because they said in 2016 that every Tesla is equipped with hardware for FSD.

So if you buy any time after 2016 and the hardware doesn't accommodate FSD, Tesla volunteers to upgrade the hardware for free.

Upvote 0
HW3 is free if you buy FSD. Always has been.

Your leverage statement is backwards though. You have no leverage at all to push for a free computer upgrade UNTIL you have purchased the FSD software package, which requires HW3 to work.

Buy FSD, then schedule the computer upgrade. It will be zero cost.

Upvote 0
HW3 is free if you buy FSD. Always has been.

Your leverage statement is backwards though. You have no leverage at all to push for a free computer upgrade UNTIL you have purchased the FSD software package, which requires HW3 to work.

Buy FSD, then schedule the computer upgrade. It will be zero cost.
I have bought FSD. It looks like I have 48 hours to cancel. I’ll try to reschedule my computer upgrade and see if it is zero cost.

Upvote 0

Following as I also have 2018 M3 with EAP and submitted order for FSD for $2k this morning but the app no longer says I need to upgrade to 3.0

Upvote 0
Following as I also have 2018 M3 with EAP and submitted order for FSD for $2k this morning but the app no longer says I need to upgrade to 3.0
I responded in the other thread you started, but there’s no reason not to upgrade to HW3 because it won’t cost anything and it will improve your FSD experience. The app might have stopped showing the HW3 upgrade because it’s no longer something you have to pay for.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a new policy that's only applying to your case.

Tesla has consistently upgrade to HW3 for free if you pay fully for FSD (not subscription).

I guess they have been doing that because they said in 2016 that every Tesla is equipped with hardware for FSD.

So if you buy any time after 2016 and the hardware doesn't accommodate FSD, Tesla volunteers to upgrade the hardware for free.
IMG_3391.png

Upvote 0
Here’s the link with all the details:

Upvote 0
I just bought the upgrade to FSD for $2k… how do I go about scheduling the FSD computer upgrade?
I put in a service request in through the app, I think I picked "Upgrade and Accessories" and then "Other" and said I had bought FSD and needed a 3.0 computer installed. Originally the estimate was for $1,000 plus tax, but they had listed the upgrade twice (once free, and once for $1k) I just messaged them and told them I believed it was supposed to be free. The same day they wrote back and said, "yes, you're right, that should be fixed" and it was.

Got it installed a week later at the local SC (they offered mobile service, but I wasn't going to be available when they had mobile available).

Upvote 0