Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a new update contain everything from the previous update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I’m seeing , updated last night and I’m not longer able to control the direction of my fans for heater or AC🙄
Update finished. I can still control airflow. You should be able to view live sentry mode from your mobile app now. I was really hoping for blind spot camera view when activating turn signal but not here. It was in 5.5, but not 6. Is that typical?

Yes, it looks like 44.5.5 is specific to FSB Beta people that covers anything older than 44.5

44.6 and the newest 44.25 are non-FSD builds with the latest updates. 44.25 is a big holiday update.
Do they typically try to push out holiday updates to everyone in time or can it be a lenghty wait like normal?

I just received my first update but was hoping for "light show" for my son... He'd love it.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Do they typically try to push out holiday updates to everyone in time or can it be a lenghty wait like normal?

I just received my first update but was hoping for "light show" for my son... He'd love it.

Unless they find a major problem with it, the holiday update will likely go out to "most" when they trigger it. Doesnt mean everyone though, as there is never a time when the entire fleet is one one software version, from what we have seen.

Does 2021.44.6 contain everything from 2021.44.5.5?

Sorry, relative newbie here

TeslaOS is based on ubuntu so updates work via packages.
The car compares the packages it has vs the packages it needs for an update and replaces them accordingly.
In essence downloading the update is actually just kinda an instruction list on what you would theoretically need - so the update is only like a few kbs.
This is kinda in contrast to windows where you sorta just download an .exe you install.
Linux doesnt quite work like that.

Unless they find a major problem with it, the holiday update will likely go out to "most" when they trigger it. Doesnt mean everyone though, as there is never a time when the entire fleet is one one software version, from what we have seen.
I understand it needs to be "triggered", but am curious if the "holiday" updates typically come close to the holidays or is it more of a few months later type thing.

TeslaOS is based on ubuntu so updates work via packages.
The car compares the packages it has vs the packages it needs for an update and replaces them accordingly.
In essence downloading the update is actually just kinda an instruction list on what you would theoretically need - so the update is only like a few kbs.
This is kinda in contrast to windows where you sorta just download an .exe you install.
Linux doesnt quite work like that.
Is Linux the free version of Unix?

no, Linux is an open source OS developed by Linus Torvald which he modeled after ATATs Unix.
it shares many design philosophies with UNIX, including that it was primarily developed as an internet/multiuser/network platform right from the groundup which makes things which we percieve as normal today (updates etc) very easy to pull off unlike in windows.

the "downside" or "upside" is that its open source so tons of people have taken the Linux OSes and developed them further.
The kernel gets done by the linux foundation, the OS by third parties i.e. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora etc.

Tesla OS is a modified version of Ubuntu, Ubuntu in itself is a modified version of Debian. Debian was written from scratch I believe.

I understand it needs to be "triggered", but am curious if the "holiday" updates typically come close to the holidays or is it more of a few months later type thing.

I guess it depends on how you define it. Last year, the "holiday update part 1" was released right around the holidays, with a note that they had to take some features out and they would be put into a "holiday update part 2". That holiday update part 2 was never released (or, we never got any update that was like that). Instead, the regular update cadence resumed and some features that had been rumored were simply rolled out over the year.

On a side note, I know there is a lot of angst about updates, but no other car manufacturer provides new features through OTA updates like this, currently. From a feature perspective, my 2018 model year model does "almost everything" a new one does. The only differences are things based in hardware, like biodefense mode, no boombox (because I dont have a pedestrian speaker which I frankly dont care about and dont want), etc.

When I got my car there were like 3 voice commands that worked. They have added things like being able to control tons of stuff with voice commands, additional visualizations etc.

Every other manufacturer makes you buy a new version of the car to get stuff like that. Tesla has forced some of them to start talking about doing OTA updates, but none of them do it well and most dont do it hardly at all. They dont WANT to, new features is a way to entice you to buy a new car.

This isnt directed at you,m @Jo060 but all the "gnashing of teeth" and constant posting people do about updates seems to overlook the fact that this is a car, not a smartphone, and the fact that this is even offered at all is groundbreaking. People would rather complain about "when am I gonna get XXXX!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?' Than sit back and realize that its pretty great that this is offered at all, and they will get whatever it is, eventually, which is way more than any other car manufacturer promises, with "take the car to the dealer for updates" if they are offered at all.

This isnt directed at you,m @Jo060 but all the "gnashing of teeth" and constant posting people do about updates seems to overlook the fact that this is a car, not a smartphone, and the fact that this is even offered at all is groundbreaking. People would rather complain about "when am I gonna get XXXX!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?' Than sit back and realize that its pretty great that this is offered at all, and they will get whatever it is, eventually, which is way more than any other car manufacturer promises, with "take the car to the dealer for updates" if they are offered at all.

people arent asking for the world. people are asking for extremely basic GUI stuff i.e. a legible speedo or working usb album covers. Or working USB search. which worked in the past. etc.

Reactions: pb843