Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a reservation really mean anything at this point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may need to cancel an order pre-vin assignment and Tesla is indicating this will bump me to the end of the line. I’m truly disappointed as I waited in line on 3/31/16 to place the order sight unseen and I’m 100% sure I’m pulling the trigger on a standard range. My question - at this point will my reservation make any significant difference?

I may need to cancel an order pre-vin assignment and Tesla is indicating this will bump me to the end of the line. I’m truly disappointed as I waited in line on 3/31/16 to place the order sight unseen and I’m 100% sure I’m pulling the trigger on a standard range. My question - at this point will my reservation make any significant difference?
It was reported that production is now 1,000 cars a day... so, you could be good

Reactions: MXWing and Badshirt
Why are you waiting on the SR? With the tax credit, pulling the trigger now on the MD is the close to the same price as the SR with premium interior will be.

As it stands now the tea leaves are saying the SR "$35K" version is a long ways off as the SR with Premium version will come before that.

Reactions: cizUK
Not sure I understand your question.
If you need to cancel an order then you have converted your reservation to an order. Therefore you don't have a reservation, you have an order.
Are you assuming you can convert it back to a reservation and get a do-over? Probably not a reasonable assumption :rolleyes:

When SRs are finally made available, reservation dates will once again matter since they'll be ~prioritized relative to orders by those without a reservation date. While this phenomenon will be relatively short-lived based on what we've seen this year with Tesla blowing through RWD/AWD/P orders pretty quickly, what may be different in the SR world is that I believe Tesla will limit production of SR vehicles in order to ensure it continues to maximize more profitable builds so that the overall mix of Model 3s produced achieves Tesla's 25+% gross margin objective. Further, I also believe that Tesla will only sell a "$35k Model 3" for a very brief period of time, to fulfill its commitment to do so while quickly raising the price to acknowledge inflation since Elon first made the $35k commitment. If I were Tesla, I would in fact only offer a $35k Model 3 to those who've had reservations on file; there's no need to sell a low/no margin $35k car to someone coming in off the street. So if I am right and Tesla is pretty aggressive about how/who gets a $35k Model 3, you may end up screwed if you are no longer a reservation holder from 2016. For example, Model 3 RWD today is $1700 more expensive than when I bought mine in March 2018. Good luck.

Why are you waiting on the SR? With the tax credit, pulling the trigger now on the MD is the close to the same price as the SR with premium interior will be.

As it stands now the tea leaves are saying the SR "$35K" version is a long ways off as the SR with Premium version will come before that.

I agree. Unfortunately there are circumstances that I did not plan on. It’s something that’s beyond my control. Luckily I can probably save enough cash by the time I order to offset the loss of a tax credit (Andy maybe even add EAP). Ultimately, I’m spending more of my own money but I can’t really do anything about it right now. I’m incredibly bummed.

When SRs are finally made available, reservation dates will once again matter since they'll be ~prioritized relative to orders by those without a reservation date. While this phenomenon will be relatively short-lived based on what we've seen this year with Tesla blowing through RWD/AWD/P orders pretty quickly, what may be different in the SR world is that I believe Tesla will limit production of SR vehicles in order to ensure it continues to maximize more profitable builds so that the overall mix of Model 3s produced achieves Tesla's 25+% gross margin objective. Further, I also believe that Tesla will only sell a "$35k Model 3" for a very brief period of time, to fulfill its commitment to do so while quickly raising the price to acknowledge inflation since Elon first made the $35k commitment. If I were Tesla, I would in fact only offer a $35k Model 3 to those who've had reservations on file; there's no need to sell a low/no margin $35k car to someone coming in off the street. So if I am right and Tesla is pretty aggressive about how/who gets a $35k Model 3, you may end up screwed if you are no longer a reservation holder from 2016. For example, Model 3 RWD today is $1700 more expensive than when I bought mine in March 2018. Good luck.
The only reason why I disagree is because of the recent email noting $38k as their current price. He’s asking them to cut. I also think they mentioned an even cheaper car in the future - perhaps it would just be even less miles per charge. Also - many will still order EAP when buying the SR car so I’m guessing they’ll make a profit.

There is no benefit to let Tesla keep the $1k deposit.
There are many post of buyers ordering one day and receiving shipping confirmation a few days later.
Tesla has assured prospective buyers .... order today and guaranteed delivery before 31 Dec.

I'm just suspicious that some of those "immediate deliveries" may be rejects that are stockpiled somewhere.
One poster on this forum rejected 5 automobiles before accepting the 6th. Tesla didn't scrap those 5.
I am also suspicious that is why Tesla has "played games" with the random VIN's.

Reactions: Badshirt
There is no benefit to let Tesla keep the $1k deposit.
There are many post of buyers ordering one day and receiving shipping confirmation a few days later.
Tesla has assured prospective buyers .... order today and guaranteed delivery before 31 Dec.

I'm just suspicious that some of those "immediate deliveries" may be rejects that are stockpiled somewhere.
One poster on this forum rejected 5 automobiles before accepting the 6th. Tesla didn't scrap those 5.
I am also suspicious that is why Tesla has "played games" with the random VIN's.
That’s why it’s probably better to only take your configuration vs taking one that is randomly available. I was wondering about that. Like why was this rejected? Needless to say - it will likely be several months until I get a 3 now.