Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a reservation on hold and rejecting a VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same situation except my hold expires today. CO changing the tax credit to start July 1st at the last minute threw a wrench into the works. Hoping for a delivery as close to July 1 as possible. If they require me to take it before July 1, then I will have to cancel, reorder and start again. I have my winter beater car to drive in the mean time so I can wait even if I don't like it.
The risk s if we are unlucky and there is a price increase. I have already installed a Tesla Wall Connector assuming I will be purchasing a Tesla.

I recently had to cancel my CO delivery after the 2-week hold because of the CO EV 5k rebate from July 1st. So, I moved to NJ last week for a job, and I would like to know at which location I should reorder my Tesla Model Y. Also, How is the state EV rebate counted since I paid most of my state taxes in CO? Any suggestion, please?

I recently had to cancel my CO delivery after the 2-week hold because of the CO EV 5k rebate from July 1st. So, I moved to NJ last week for a job, and I would like to know at which location I should reorder my Tesla Model Y. Also, How is the state EV rebate counted since I paid most of my state taxes in CO? Any suggestion, please?
If you plan to stay in NJ for more than 183-days, I believe NJ will consider you as a resident for tax purposes. EV is exempt from NJ state sales tax. CO has the new EV tax credit on/after July 1, 2023. IRS EV credit, on/after April 18 2023, is based on your modified AGI from the year you take delivery or the year before, whichever is less.

If you now claim you're the resident of CO and get the EV on/after July 1, 2023, you need to pay CO state sales tax, register your EV in CO, get the CO license plate, insure your EV with the out-of-state travel, etc. You get EV credit if you pay taxes in CO.

If you claim you're NJ resident, you pay no NJ state sales tax for EV, get everything done in NJ. As for CO $5K credit for EV, not sure, because you did pay CO tax for 2022 but you become NJ resident and will start to pay NJ state income tax in 2023.

I'm interested to know if the accountant can answer this question for you, too.

Reactions: Krish918
If you plan to stay in NJ for more than 183-days, I believe NJ will consider you as a resident for tax purposes. EV is exempt from NJ state sales tax. CO has the new EV tax credit on/after July 1, 2023. IRS EV credit, on/after April 18 2023, is based on your modified AGI from the year you take delivery or the year before, whichever is less.

If you now claim you're the resident of CO and get the EV on/after July 1, 2023, you need to pay CO state sales tax, register your EV in CO, get the CO license plate, insure your EV with the out-of-state travel, etc. You get EV credit if you pay taxes in CO.

If you claim you're NJ resident, you pay no NJ state sales tax for EV, get everything done in NJ. As for CO $5K credit for EV, not sure, because you did pay CO tax for 2022 but you become NJ resident and will start to pay NJ state income tax in 2023.

I'm interested to know if the accountant can answer this question for you, too.
Thanks @retbesla

@Redhill_qik Once you get a VIN they'll give you a 3 day window to pick up your car. If those dates don't work, you can place your order on hold for 7 days (used to be 14 days). After you take it off hold, they will look for another car for you. It might be an inventory car or they might have to build a new one, so the wait can be short or long.

Do you know if they increase the price of the car between order and delivery and you reject the first VIN, do they cancel your order or force you to pay more? Or do they honor the price of the original VIN/order?

I think discounts and prices are tied to a specific VIN. However, if there is a price adjustment down they do honor it I believe, as long as it's not a canceled order and you have not yet taken delivery.

Reactions: SagarPatel