Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a reservation on hold and rejecting a VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my order on hold and that hold expires tomorrow. I need to take delivery in July because the state of Colorado increased the tax credit for electric vehicles by $3K IF the vehicle is purchased after June 30, 2023. Of course, there is also the hardware 3 vs 4 issue (if one cares). I suppose I would prefer the latest hardware. So, I really hope my order still has to be manufactured and that it will take a week or two before I am assigned a VIN. If necessary, I will cancel my order and submit a new one if it looks like I have to take delivery before July 1. Then again, that assumes there is no price increase (plus the additional $250 order fee) in the next two weeks that would negate the additional tax credit. Oh...the games we choose to play.

I don't know what's complicated here.

You order a car from Tesla. When it's ready, they tell you to come and get it.

If you are somehow unable to get the car you can place your order on hold one time, or if you go look at the car and somehow it's not acceptable you can reject it.

If you do either of the above multiple times, Tesla gets bored, cancels your order and sells cars to people who want to take delivery of them. The end.

Reactions: Yelobird
I put my order on hold and that hold expires tomorrow. I need to take delivery in July because the state of Colorado increased the tax credit for electric vehicles by $3K IF the vehicle is purchased after June 30, 2023. Of course, there is also the hardware 3 vs 4 issue (if one cares). I suppose I would prefer the latest hardware. So, I really hope my order still has to be manufactured and that it will take a week or two before I am assigned a VIN. If necessary, I will cancel my order and submit a new one if it looks like I have to take delivery before July 1. Then again, that assumes there is no price increase (plus the additional $250 order fee) in the next two weeks that would negate the additional tax credit. Oh...the games we choose to play.
Same situation except my hold expires today. CO changing the tax credit to start July 1st at the last minute threw a wrench into the works. Hoping for a delivery as close to July 1 as possible. If they require me to take it before July 1, then I will have to cancel, reorder and start again. I have my winter beater car to drive in the mean time so I can wait even if I don't like it.

Same situation except my hold expires today. CO changing the tax credit to start July 1st at the last minute threw a wrench into the works. Hoping for a delivery as close to July 1 as possible. If they require me to take it before July 1, then I will have to cancel, reorder and start again. I have my winter beater car to drive in the mean time so I can wait even if I don't like it.
@boones and @Brown1428 did you get a new estimated delivery date? My hold expired as well but shows no dates. It just says "Pay off remaining balance" and "Accelerated delivery available / view available cars" (available cars, but not my exact spec).

@boones and @Brown1428 did you get a new estimated delivery date? My hold expired as well but shows no dates. It just says "Pay off remaining balance" and "Accelerated delivery available / view available cars" (available cars, but not my exact spec).
My hold still shows that it expires today. I think that once the hold expires, they try to fill your order again. That could mean a new factory build to your spec, or if a local car comes up matching your spec before then they could assign that VIN to you. Possibly lots of cars are going to be rejected in June in CO because of the tax incentive date change to July 1.

Reactions: theothertom
So this is the status mine moved to when the hold expired yestterday. Fortunately (since i need a >july 1 delivery) I didn't immediately get assigned a new VIN.

Is there a link somewhere that explains this? You can't tell from an online VIN decoder. Can you get any other info from the VIN?
It's from many hours lost on research that I don't have time to explain. But if you do a google search, you are likely to find it. But having said that, no one is really sure of the benefits since it's only upgraded cameras (1MP upgraded to 5MP) and it doesn't include the radar that "official" HW4 that is included in the S and X. For all we know, they just ran out of the old cameras and put the new ones in. Many people rejected their cars "just in case" and wanted to go to the back of the line hoping to get later build.

Most likely, once Tesla officially acknowledges HW4 in the cars, will it likely have true benefits. This means the imminently new 3 and the new Y next year.

Hope that helps!

I wonder what Tesla would do if you paid the balance owed on the vehicle but didn't show up to pick it up until after June 30 (assuming the dates they wanted you to pick it up were all before July 1). Would they actually cancel the sale and refund the money you paid (except the order fee)?

It's from many hours lost on research that I don't have time to explain. But if you do a google search, you are likely to find it. But having said that, no one is really sure of the benefits since it's only upgraded cameras (1MP upgraded to 5MP) and it doesn't include the radar that "official" HW4 that is included in the S and X. For all we know, they just ran out of the old cameras and put the new ones in. Many people rejected their cars "just in case" and wanted to go to the back of the line hoping to get later build.

Most likely, once Tesla officially acknowledges HW4 in the cars, will it likely have true benefits. This means the imminently new 3 and the new Y next year.

Hope that helps!
I thought folks confirmed that a revised AP computer is also part of HW4.0?