Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else’s hatch leak like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D04DA73E-8D04-4974-BB01-FC1F49E65048.jpeg

I’m talking about the indents and the water on the inside of the gasket…

Mine leaked also (not to that extent though). My frunk also had some small damp areas whenever it rains. When I showed it to the SC, I was given the typical lazy answer of "it's normal and within spec." Yah I'm sure it is.
Hopefully you'll get better answers than me.

Mine leaked also (not to that extent though). My frunk also had some small damp areas whenever it rains. When I showed it to the SC, I was given the typical lazy answer of "it's normal and within spec." Yah I'm sure it is.
Hopefully you'll get better answers than me.
They said they are giving me a loner car. They also said I could play with the bumper stops to see if it helps. I did notice the ones that go into the indents, only 1 actually touches. I actually removed them to see what happens. It stopped raining of course so I wont have an answer for a bit if removing them helps. I know it’s coming from upwards highway driving spray.

Last edited:
Update, I tested and no matter what adjustments the bumper on the right side would hit but not the left. I then removed both and the leak is gone and all seems even/true when closed. I will let Tesla know and see what they said. They did tell me to try playing with bumper adjustments originally.

Reactions: jsight
I’m still watching it. I went into the hatch afterwards today and watched it close with the bumpers installed and they don’t look like they even touch. I’m not convinced it’s fixed yet and will need more inclement weather. I might have another possible test tomorrow morning.

Jschoef: there are 4 bump stops that support the hatch when closed. If the upper 2 bump stops (midway up the side of the hatch) are extended out too far, they'll prevent the lower bump stops from contacting.

There are several threads about adjusting the bump stops. Maybe this one will help:

Adjusting the stops inward might correct your water leaking. However, if the hatch isn't supported evenly/correctly, it will pulse (buffet?) while driving over rough pavement, creating some uncomfortable ear issues.

Hope this helps.

Jschoef: there are 4 bump stops that support the hatch when closed. If the upper 2 bump stops (midway up the side of the hatch) are extended out too far, they'll prevent the lower bump stops from contacting.

There are several threads about adjusting the bump stops. Maybe this one will help:

Adjusting the stops inward might correct your water leaking. However, if the hatch isn't supported evenly/correctly, it will pulse (buffet?) while driving over rough pavement, creating some uncomfortable ear issues.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I’ve already messed with those. The left one needs to be recessed all the way and the right one needs to be out halfway to make the panel gas go away.