Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else need a turn-signal left on reminder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, my MX seems to already make more noise than my other cars and I don't hear that well at my age. BUT, it seems like a good idea. Different on the 3 ?

I would also prefer the clicky noise to be just a tad louder than it currently is. well, louder is a problematic descriptor... Maybe my preference is a click at a different frequency that is better at not being drowned out by ambient noise.
If you can't hear the clicker noise, perhaps you have engaged Joe Mode? I have this on and cannot hear the clicking sound

This should be the way it works:
  • Halfway ("to first bump/detent") should start temporary 3-blink (should NOT stay on)
  • All the way (beyond bump/detent) should keep it blinking
  • If a signal is on, halfway (first bump) either direction should cancel it
The hardware issue usually shows as it being hard to cancel one way, you mean to do a 3-blink and it stays on, or some other symptom that indicates the internal position isn't behaving like you expect.

I recommend requesting service with the following description:

"Signal stalk does not behave as documented. Sometimes stays on unexpectedly, sometimes hard to cancel."​

That should get to the point without confusing them. The repair can be done by Mobile Service. Both times, they replaced the whole SCCM (center bit where both stalks come out of). Fun fact, this is a Mercedes part (yet apparently Mercedes doesn't have issues with it?).
I missed including these.

Good information you've given - thank you. I will be checking mine a little more carefully.

If you can't hear the clicker noise, perhaps you have engaged Joe Mode? I have this on and cannot hear the clicking sound
Interesting thought. Maybe that is his issue that he can't hear the signal. I have Joe mode on and I hear the signal sound just fine. I hadn't noticed a difference in sound between Joe mode on or off. Actually, louder than my other cars.

For years I've seen old folks driving along (usually in their Caddys) with the signal going but not turning. I always marked it up to old age or forgetfulness, but I've done the same thing in my Tesla about 3-4 times in last 6 months. I haven't really had this problem with other cars.

I usually flick the turn-signal and then flick it the same way to turn it off. Last couple times I noticed this doe not always work. It only shuts off when I flicked it the other way. Today that didn't work and I had to flick it the same way. WTF.

So, instead of looking like the old guy who keeps forgetting, I think Tesla could easily incorporate a reminder chime/tone if the signal is left on and you continue to drive for 15-30 seconds. Or just shut if off after at that time. To be fancy they can even make this a selectable option.

Any one want/need this?
What the ticking of the indicator isn't enough for you? If you're not noticing that anymore you probably won't notice whatever additional warnings they could add eventually.

I have had this issue and others. For me, it's due to the pastel colors which under certain lighting conditions are difficult to notice.

The fix, simple as it is, can be done with programming. If you insist on using pastel or faded colors - put a black border around them. It makes the color stand out - even in bright atmosphere. Just a thin black border.

all teslas make a repeating click sound when the blinkers/hazards are on. the problem is that the sound they chose for it can be hard to hear, even when you're not on Joe mode (for those who don't know, it's a mode that reduces the volume of all car alert noises). The problem isn't simply volume. The timbre of that click sound makes it easily masked by ambient noise. A harsher click would do the trick.

I have noticed that the signal has stayed on when I thought it was off, I think maybe when I have done a full click to change lanes, as this is the habit now with AP, but with AP off I've moved over manually then realized that the signal is still on. Also, Joe mode is a great concept with poor execution. It left a lot of the AP chimes quite loud but seems to have muted the turn signal clicks quite a bit so I don't notice them much.