Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone feel like NoA has regressed since it first came out 2 years ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on a 1000 mile road trip this past weekend and used NoA extensively. And I have to say, it's pretty terrible. I disabled the lane change suggestions because those are just annoying, but I'm really only talking about the taking of exits and ramps. One thing I've noticed is that the car won't slow down from your set speed before the exit and only start slowing down once you've taken the ramp. This leads to some flying around as the car tries to slow down from 75mph at the last minute on a curve. Totally unnerving. There's an exit near my house where I tested NoA on the first day it was released in early 2019, and it handled the slow down flawlessly. Now...it flies into the exit and does not slow down for the 40mph curve at all.

Is Tesla even looking at NoA or Summon anymore? They seem like they are forgotten children and if anything have just gotten worse with time. It's just my opinion, but I feel like I would rather have Tesla quickly get us to L3 for Highway Autopilot, than spending years on those last 1% of edge cases in City FSD which is at best still L2, and will remain that way for at least a few more years.

Reactions: ladysbff
I'd say it's all subjective unless there's something we can use to objectively measure. In the past two years of using NoA, I haven't noticed a regression.

Depending on the type of exit, it'll sometimes slow down appropriately. But if I'm flying at 65 or over, I'm taking over for the off ramp, especially if it's a slow one. At 55 mph it's performed well on my daily commute which includes a clover exit. But... I haven't done that commute in about a year.

It always positions the car in the correct lane during highway transitions. This is really handy when we traveled halfway across the country, and sometimes didn't know exactly which lane to be in for cities we've never driven through before.

Passing cars has always been a crap shoot for me. Sometimes it's all fine and dandy. Other times it'll approach a truck and just sit there. Seemingly same situation. But this is a newer feature, so I don't know what to compare it to.

I've noticed less phantom braking. Didn't happen once during our latest, 4,000+ mile road trip. Maybe just got lucky?

I agree wholeheartedly with Dre78. Although Autopilot has not improved markedly I don't think it has regressed and has marginally improved. There are far less Phantom Brake events. It used to happen at least once a week, now I'd say maybe once a month or perhaps less. It does absolutely great on flyover exits and decently on tight clover leafs. The biggest issue with the latter is that it's too slow to accelerate once the road straighten back out. Exiting is a mixed bag. It seems if the white line is a gradual angle over into the exit lane then it's fine. If it demarcates a swift (closer to 90 degree) angle then that's when you get the jerky lane change where it feels like you're going into the ditch. It's still a very usable product. You just have to realize the time line that Tesla thinks they are going to follow for rolling out improvements isn't the time line you are going to get.

Reactions: Dre78
My main issue with NoA is nothing has been fixed.

All the same problem points are still problems.

I didn't have much issue with AP on my last trip. The lane changes worked fine, autosteer seemed okay (but, I didn't test it in the right with merge points), and TACC didn't seem to phantom brake as much. Keep in mind that it's so inconsistent that one data point like that is meaningless.

Reactions: X Fan
I'd say it's all subjective unless there's something we can use to objectively measure. In the past two years of using NoA, I haven't noticed a regression.

Depending on the type of exit, it'll sometimes slow down appropriately. But if I'm flying at 65 or over, I'm taking over for the off ramp, especially if it's a slow one. At 55 mph it's performed well on my daily commute which includes a clover exit. But... I haven't done that commute in about a year.

It always positions the car in the correct lane during highway transitions. This is really handy when we traveled halfway across the country, and sometimes didn't know exactly which lane to be in for cities we've never driven through before.

Passing cars has always been a crap shoot for me. Sometimes it's all fine and dandy. Other times it'll approach a truck and just sit there. Seemingly same situation. But this is a newer feature, so I don't know what to compare it to.

I've noticed less phantom braking. Didn't happen once during our latest, 4,000+ mile road trip. Maybe just got lucky?

I think at 55 or even 65 (sometimes), it can take freeway exits fine. Most of the time i'm set to 70 or 75, and it flies into the exit way too fast. I will agree with you about the phantom braking, but i think that's generally a TACC improvement, and not really part of the NoA logic i think. I did notice a few times when passing big trucks, it would phantom brake possibly thinking the truck was in in your lane at the last minute or something.

Reactions: Dre78
Does anyone feel like NoA has regressed since it first came out 2 years ago?
Yes. I loved NoA when it first came out. My little nieces and nephews thought it was the coolest thing because prior to it coming out they always wanted/expected the car to take its own turns. Then Tesla updated NoA and I stopped using it due to many of the issues you relate here.

Reactions: momo3605