Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone hate the battery consumption on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't a disagreer (is that even a word?), as I don't even have my X yet, but one would assume that other people who enjoy their Xs aren't seeing 500Wh/mi ratings and a bunch of door bugs;)
I'm seeing close to 400Wh/mi and a bunch of door bugs, but I still enjoy the car. :)

Speed is the killer on X efficiency and it wants to go fast. It's still costing me 10-15% the fuel $$$ as my BMW X6M was.

In my P90D loaner, I see about 600Wh/mi because I still drive it like my car, LIKE I STOLE IT! Every time I have an open stretch I'm going to fill that gap...cause that's why I bought the car :D To be fair, it's 96-101 every day here in Texas right now, and I like to keep the car at a cool 68 - 70.

I get pretty terrible Wh/mi on my car too. Around town, I don't care though. Too fun not to do. I'll have to see how it works on longer trips. I've been messing around with EAP on the loaner to see if I want to buy it. It's pretty cool though it tried to run me off the road once.

As far as door bugs, I have issues with opening doors on my new car, but this older loaner has been flawless.

An interesting note:

Driving home yesterday, I had the fans on full blast and I was projecting about 112 miles left on my battery. I dropped the fans to auto and increased the temps about 2 degrees and that shot my estimate up to 162. So it looks like AC does add a huge drain to the battery, despite what some people say.

I have an X100D and after 30,000 miles it is averaging 335 Wh/m. It’s less in the summer months (about 310) and more in the winter (about 365). My daily commute is about 50 miles a day averaging about 55 mph with a few stoplights. I find it gets great mileage and slightly better than the 338 Wh/m is seems rated for.

Reactions: jboy210
Driving home yesterday, I had the fans on full blast and I was projecting about 112 miles left on my battery. I dropped the fans to auto and increased the temps about 2 degrees and that shot my estimate up to 162. So it looks like AC does add a huge drain to the battery, despite what some people say.

Very interesting. I never set the fans manually. Also, I have a 5 seater so less A/C. I set the temps to 73-74 and auto. Consumption is slightly more when it gets to 100F versus 80F, but now massively different. Again, I only use percentage, never the estimated miles which I have found to widely wrong.

Very interesting. I never set the fans manually. Also, I have a 5 seater so less A/C. I set the temps to 73-74 and auto. Consumption is slightly more when it gets to 100F versus 80F, but now massively different. Again, I only use percentage, never the estimated miles which I have found to widely wrong.
I've started using the % as well, but I was looking at the energy chart which lists approx miles remaining.

The only reason I set the fans manually is that when I wear slippers, my feet can get kind of sweaty and there isn't enough airflow through auto that pushes air to my feet. If I manually set the car to dump cold air to both top and bottom, it cools off nicely.

Here are some examples from today:

103.59 Miles Driven
319 Wh/Mile - 97.9% Efficiency
-84.7 ft Avg Speed 62 MPH Max Speed 80 MPH

13.55 Miles Driven
304 Wh/Mile - 102.6% Efficiency
+110.2 ft Avg Speed 42 MPH Max Speed 70 MPH

49.63 Miles Driven
377 Wh/Mile - 82.7% Efficiency
-133.8 ft Avg Speed 62 MPH Max Speed 86 MPH

The bigger thing is the car is thirsty for power.

Love my X but the battery is just not big enough for its size. Surprising to me every time I see someone with a 60 or 75 kWh model x. I get it if you don’t drive much but the car is so grest we only want to take it on road trips... it needs a 150 kWh pack badly.

This cuts both ways. The X is already a very heavy car for its size class with a 100 kWh pack. Do you really want to add another 250-300 kg for a 150 kWh battery? The whole package gets less and less efficient as you increase the weight. A 75D is around 150 kg lighter than a 100D and you do notice it when cornering and braking. A hypothetical 150D would be over 2,700 kg kerb weight!

A 150 kWh battery only makes sense to me when it weighs the same as a current 100 kWh battery and costs about the same, which is obviously not possible today! There is a very good reason why 100 kWh was chosen as the maximum size with current battery technology.

I've started using the % as well, but I was looking at the energy chart which lists approx miles remaining.

The only reason I set the fans manually is that when I wear slippers, my feet can get kind of sweaty and there isn't enough airflow through auto that pushes air to my feet. If I manually set the car to dump cold air to both top and bottom, it cools off nicely.
The energy chart estimate is based on the "average" power draw for the last (chosen number of) miles driven. As such, your A/C adjustments likely didn't have as much of an effect on that number as you think unless you keep it on Instant, but then it varies so wildly that it doesn't mean much regardless unless conditions are very consistent. So, unless you were using instant to get the numebr of miles, had TACC active with no lead vehicle, and were driving on flat land on a calm day, the almost certainly wasn't fully (or even mostly) attributable to adjusting your A/C settings.

I just looked at my May 1 to August 12 2018 consumption data for my X and compared it to the same dates last year when I was driving my Model S. Given similar driving patterns, locations, weather etc. my X is 15% higher than my S was.

The energy chart estimate is based on the "average" power draw for the last (chosen number of) miles driven. As such, your A/C adjustments likely didn't have as much of an effect on that number as you think unless you keep it on Instant, but then it varies so wildly that it doesn't mean much regardless unless conditions are very consistent. So, unless you were using instant to get the numebr of miles, had TACC active with no lead vehicle, and were driving on flat land on a calm day, the almost certainly wasn't fully (or even mostly) attributable to adjusting your A/C settings.
I definitely didn't believe that the AC drew that much power. That was under average though, not instant. They both showed about the same value when I was noticing the decrease.