TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone hate the battery consumption on the X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by azsmartbet, Aug 7, 2018.

1. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

Hi, I have a Tesla 3 now (considering offering it for trade toward an X) but I have had 4 Tesla X 2 were 90D and 2 were P90D. I love the X but my only beef is with the battery consumption. I feel like even with the 20" wheels and not the 22s (I have had both) it feels like its 20 miles of driving eating 33 miles of battery. I do sometimes drive a lot errands far from my house and supercharging (I guess that will change since the GF is moving closer to me).

Anyway, who else is feeling like the S or 3 is a better choice to the X due to the low range / consumption on the x? I cant afford the 100D I don't think and it seems like used there are way more 90d available then anything.

My last 2 P90D X had a range full 100% of 230 miles. Love to see that be a real 230 or even 250 miles.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

We routinely get ~200 miles @ 100% driving ~70 mph. While it would be nice if the X was more efficient, it probably wouldn't then meet our passenger requirement and storage needs.

• Like x 3
  3. Need

Need Active Member

I think it is your driving. My wife has a X 75D and her lifetime energy usage is 348 Wh per mile. I drove it for 2 weeks to work when she was away from home. Added about 1200 miles and my average was 298 Wh per mile. With my average, I am getting the FULL range of the X. My son always tell me.."Papa, you drive so much slower than Mama."

My current car has a 0 to 60 of over 11 sec.... :) But I have a M3 AWD on order.

• Funny x 3
  4. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

I fend it best not to think of battery units as length. A bigger, heavier vehicle is going to need more power to go a particular distance relative to a smaller, lighter vehicle. Accelerating quickly eats a lot more power. Driving faster eats more power. It's a balance.

My largest road trip so far: 5,351.5 miles. 1,841.4kWh. 344 Wh/mi -- this was fine. A three hour sit was pretty long for us, so stopping more than that wasn't ever an issue (though I was a little stressed about stopping at places where we weren't charging a couple times).

5. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

I have a X75D and we just did round trip from Chicago to Milwaukee for the WI State Fair. Nearly 3 hours of driving on a single charge. 40% up and 40% back. I use battery % not rated miles for range. We drove at 70MPH most of the way with A/C on. That's a lot of driving. The range is okay in my book.

• Like x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

Model 3 is definitely more efficient than S/X. However, I don't hate the range on X at all. I came from a X60D software updated to 75D, and then to a X100D and I had been fine all the time. It really depends on your driving style and conditions. With a lot of local driving running errands the range is definitely horrible, but then I'd be daily charging at home so it's a non issue.

7. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

X100D is way higher range than the 90 and I dont drive fast. But I do a lot of highway driving

8. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

You might want to switch from mile of range to % and see if you feel different about it. I had much range anxiety when it was showing miles.

• Like x 1
  9. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

My biggest issue is first start... Goes down like 3 miles in the first 1 mile drive lol

10. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

My Rav4 EV is at 357 watts per mile lifetime. X is substantially heavier and gets better efficiency... I can't wait to get the model 3 and get almost double the efficiency!

11. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Wow!!! Do you live at the bottom of a steep hill!!!

I would be curious to see what the percent drops during this 1st mile.

12. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

Not sure if this is correct but it seems that way

13. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I’m sure this depends on your circumstances. I happen to live on top of a short hill and if I’m going one of the two towns near me and there’s very little traffic, I can drive the 4 miles to the highway entrance using .2 miles of range.

14. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

So gross

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'll let you know next winter. ;) I drove a Model S 85 through 5 Canadian winters, and it does take a hit in the cold (not as bad as many would have you believe). Got my X 100D at the end of March, so only have "nice weather" experience with it thus far. It does use a bit more juice than my S did, but that is made up for the bigger, new battery. After 100,000 miles, my S 85 had degraded to about the equivalent of a 75.

16. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Take a big rock and a little rock. Which one can you through further, the little one of course.
    The Model X is just a bigger and heavier car, that's it advantage. It takes more energy to move it around.
    Take a look at the Tesla Semi, for some reason I really don't expect that it will be getting 250 w/hr. Maybe more like 25 w/hr or even worse.

The bigger the car, the more energy it takes to move it.

17. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

Makes sense and its even worse with the 22s on the P models. I have had two D and two PD

18. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

My BMW X6M got worse mileage (13mpg) than my wife's BMW 335i (23mpg). Heavier vehicle, more frontal area to increase drag. Really not much that can be done about it.

• Helpful x 1
  19. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

its ironic because i've seen P90Ds with 22inch wheels charge to 238mi at 100%, which is basically the range of a 75D on 20inch wheels.

20. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I was fortunate enough last year to have a Model X P100DL as a loaner for two solid months. I put 4000+ miles on it while I had it. (Long story, documented elsewhere on TMC).

But in response to the thread title... I found the X to be an "electron guzzler." Whereas my S would get high 300Wh/mi on hilly interstates, the X got in the 500's. Even just toodling around town, I got a substantially higher Wh/mi average with the X. Really turned me off to it. That and other things like the pesky front doors opening and closing on their own, or not opening at all, made me think geez, $180K car this buggy, not for me. I prefer the S.

• Disagree x 2