Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone NOT have a second (ICE) car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife still has an 2007 Honda Civic ICE. She is driving 200 miles three days a week (school at UGA), and it still only has 60k miles on it. When it finally gets unreliable (probably another 60k+ miles) she is going to get an EV.

But all of our driving is with the Model S. Even road trips >250 miles, without supercharging. Other than her riding solo, and when my Model S has been in the shop, have we ever used her car to go somewhere. I did drive about 3 miles around the neighborhood to diagnose a off sound (brake pad had dislodged). I have actually driven my friends pickup (car trade FTW, but he was too afraid to actually drive my Tesla) a lot more since having the Tesla, than I have the Civic.

Right now one Model S payment is plenty. And she thinks the Model S is entirely too big. And her car is only about 60% through it's life. So no rush. But it will happen. If only my yard was smaller, then I could get a reasonably priced electric lawnmower.

Perhaps it could be possible to use a trailer with your SUV for the dump runs. In that case you could sell the Ford truck.
Thanks, that is not a bad idea, but every time I drive the Ice car I cannot believe I use to think it was a nice car. Noisy, smells, rattles and it feels like a bucket of bolts. But if it only for dump runs or driving once and a while I guess I could deal with the above.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife still has an 2007 Honda Civic ICE. She is driving 200 miles three days a week (school at UGA), and it still only has 60k miles on it. When it finally gets unreliable (probably another 60k+ miles) she is going to get an EV.

But all of our driving is with the Model S. Even road trips >250 miles, without supercharging. Other than her riding solo, and when my Model S has been in the shop, have we ever used her car to go somewhere. I did drive about 3 miles around the neighborhood to diagnose a off sound (brake pad had dislodged). I have actually driven my friends pickup (car trade FTW, but he was too afraid to actually drive my Tesla) a lot more since having the Tesla, than I have the Civic.

Right now one Model S payment is plenty. And she thinks the Model S is entirely too big. And her car is only about 60% through it's life. So no rush. But it will happen. If only my yard was smaller, then I could get a reasonably priced electric lawnmower.
I will get an electric lawn mower now the the E go is available, expensive but sounds like it works really well.

My other car is a Roadster. All EV in my garage.

Once a year I do a business trip that requires renting an ICE. This year for the first time I could have done the trip on Level II stations, but due to inconvenient charge station placement that would have added two days to the trip and I didn't have time for that. Next year the route will be Supercharger enabled and I won't need an ICE.

I do have an ICE track car, but it's not stored at home and it's just for the track. I've never used it for any other purpose. Unfortunately there currently isn't a viable EV option for this.

You could compromise and get a reasonably-priced electric lawnmower for some of your lawn and use the riding mower for the rest. :p

I run a hybrid garage and a month ago posted my first year's results... Granted, the majority of last year's stats were on an Active E which only had an 80-100 mile range, but with a Roadster and Model S replacing the Active E, this first month of the second year of EV use is actually closer to 99% EV vs. ICE and that included a trip to Vegas from LA as opposed to the previous year's results which were closer to 80% EV and 20% ICE.

Our ICE vehicles right now are a BMW X5 and a BMW 328i Convertible (which I plan to sell next month). Heck I'll sell the 328i now.

I've even managed to kill the battery... on my X5 from several months of neglect.

So, beware of keeping an ICE car when you go EV. The maintenance costs for your ICE "may" rise. At least your battery costs.

I currently have a rez for a MX which will replace my Toyota SUV. Currently we have a second car, but due to some life changes, I will no longer have the second car available. Does anyone have only an EV? What do you do if you have a day trip where round trip is over ~240 miles and there are no charging stations en route?

1. Yes, Denise drives the Prius. I suspect the GenIII Tesla will replace it.

2. No, we no longer take the Prius on any road trips.

3. Most of the places we travel don't have Superchargers, so we charge at RV parks. It's a bit slower, but no biggie. We generally avoid public chargers as they are deadly slow compared to RV parks' 50 amp receptacles for the most part (This isn't true in all areas of the country.)

Do you keep a trickle charger on the ICE battery? If you don't the battery may lose so much charge you won't be able to start the car.

Using a ICE only a few times a year risks having the gasoline in the tank separate into gas, ethanol, and a significant amount of water.

Our other car is a Porsche. I want a Roadster. I'm done with ICE cars. I'll never buy one again.

It's my wife's regular driver so still gets a workout.

Yes, we still have an ICE (minivan). Here's how we do it. The MS is the daily driver. However, if both of us have to go to separate destinations or routes at the same time, the one with the longer route takes the MS. This helps keep the ICE from the deterioration of non-use while keeping down its maintenance costs (1 fill-up every 6-7 weeks). The only other times the minivan gets used is on our trips between NE Florida and Chicago - about 2-4 round trips a year. Or if we have to haul mulch or cow manure or other messy garden stuff (no way, Jose). We would like to use the MS for the Chicago trips also but unfortunately, the SC rollout schedule shows no significant progress along my favorite route until late 2015 or maybe even 2016, and we are too lazy to consider the hassle of looking for public chargers (mea culpa).

Last edited:
We have been living with just a Leaf. Whenever we leave town to go anywhere we rent an ICE. That will change with the arrival of the S85. With the arrival of a SpC in Tampa ( coming soon :-{ ?) we will have most of our regular routes covered with Superchargers. We're planning on a trip to the Outer Banks in July that makes the Plymouth SpC mighty handy!

First year I had the Roadster I did the same thing to my old Nissan Murano. Had to race out in my Roadster just before an incoming snow storm to buy a new battery so I could drive it. I thought it was pretty comical putting a lead-acid battery in the Roadster trunk.
Yes, a couple of months ago had to go to the Mercedes dealership for a battery for my ML430 and as I was rolling out the battery and putting it in the Tesla, one of the employees said "already need a new battery". He was joking!