Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone use Geico insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Dr Pete, i read online that there is a clause in Geico's insurance policy that states they don't have to use OEM parts. See bleow.

"2. Will Not exceed the prevailing competitive price to repair or replace the property at the time of the loss, or any of its parts, including parts from non-original equipment manufactures, with other like kind and quality and will not include compensations for any diminution of value that is claimed to result from the loss."

HC fellow Angeleno - I am so glad you've raised this and I'm now concerned w/my GEICO policy. I think I should cancel. Please keep posting your discoveries. TY, NW

Wow, those experiences are not good. Have had Geico for about 15 years now since USAA jacked my rates through the roof for my 3 teenagers on the policy. I have had great service from Geico including several claims, but none involving the Tesla. I think I may consider going back to USAA since the kids have all grown up and flown the coop.

I've had Geico since before my MS came 3 years ago. Originally, the new car didn't change my rates much (~500 for 6 months and 2 cars). But recently, without any claims...ever, they raised my rate 40%. I shopped around and still couldn't beat their price, but plan on dumping them soon. You have to change companies periodically or they think you don't care about price.

I just got off the phone with a Geico agent who mentioned that they don't cover OEM parts. He even went as far as saying that no insurance company does, which is totally incorrect. So I've decided to shop elsewhere.
Definitely not true, but I'm not aware of any major that does. They all specify "like-quality" parts may be used when making repairs, and then state third-party parts are just as good as OEM. Where GEICO does differ, however, is that most of the majors allow you to add an OEM Parts Rider to your policy (additional premium) that will guarantee OEM parts will always be used for repairs. Some of them have it on their website, others you have to call. GEICO does not offer such a rider.

Nobody else besides Tesla is really making Model S parts, so it's not a big deal now, but probably will be eventually. And it may be a problem if you want OEM parts on any other vehicles on the policy.

Reactions: gsxdsm
My wife used to have Geico before we got married but we dropped them real quick after they tried to raise her rate 250%. She had been rear ended by a person texting. They claimed it made her a "liability."

I currently have AAA and have used them for the past 15 years with no issues. Have to get a quote for adding this 70D I just confirmed. Hopefully they won't be talking crazy...

That seems reasonable compared to several Los Angeles quotes I've received $698-$729-$1430 per 6 months......must be my wicked pissa Boston driving skills. I may check out State Farm too.

sorry i meant state farm quoted me 450 more than Geico. Geico quoted me 750, state farm 1200. I've been with state farm for a very very long time and no accident or record or whatsoever. So I am pretty disappointed with them. Though Geico's quote is good but I am a bit worried about their customer service and claim process...

sorry i meant state farm quoted me 450 more than Geico. Geico quoted me 750, state farm 1200. I've been with state farm for a very very long time and no accident or record or whatsoever. So I am pretty disappointed with them. Though Geico's quote is good but I am a bit worried about their customer service and claim process...

Thx for clarity. GEICO quoted me the $698 and Progressive the $729, so essentially a push. Chubb was the outlier but I checked as they handle my other policies. Actually, I have a clean driving record.......surprisingly. Looks to be Flo vs gecko.

• Funny
Reactions: Tezzie
Definitely not true, but I'm not aware of any major that does. They all specify "like-quality" parts may be used when making repairs, and then state third-party parts are just as good as OEM. Where GEICO does differ, however, is that most of the majors allow you to add an OEM Parts Rider to your policy (additional premium) that will guarantee OEM parts will always be used for repairs. Some of them have it on their website, others you have to call. GEICO does not offer such a rider.

Nobody else besides Tesla is really making Model S parts, so it's not a big deal now, but probably will be eventually. And it may be a problem if you want OEM parts on any other vehicles on the policy.
In Minnesota Geico must use OEM parts, as must all insurance covered repairs. See page 11 of this document from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety for more info.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/documents/autoinsuranceinfo.pdf

In Minnesota Geico must use OEM parts, as must all insurance covered repairs. See page 11 of this document from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety for more info.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/documents/autoinsuranceinfo.pdf
Nice! I wish more states had that kind of protection. I wonder what, overall, the rate impact is compared to the same candidate in another state with a similar local risk profile. I suspect the actual difference is negligible, despite the huge premium charged for OEM Parts Riders by some of these companies.

Coming from a very biased point of view, but please consider shopping with an independent agent/broker when thinking about purchasing insurance. We have access to many insurance companies (sometimes dozens) that we can shop them all at the same time to get a customized package for you and show you the price differences between all of them.

You then have an additional advocate on your side to help you out if you have claim problems. Since we are not "employees" of any specific company, our loyalty is to the customer first and foremost. We've had to intervene several times before when adjusters were not returning phone calls, offers were low, estimates are delayed, etc.

Okay, that's enough for now. /endplug

I wanted to add- Confidence in your insurance company is important. I have bought insurance from those that quoted the "best price" only to find that the company has an incentive to deny claims. Having an agent as an advocate was useful.
I insure with USAA - and have never had any qualms about being treated fair.
I own Berkshire-Hathaway, so get GEICO discount - but that does not beat USAA rates (just misses) but due to "Confidence" stay with USAA.
I'd hate to be on the arguing side against an insurance company. Just don't want to go there.