Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Auto Lane change works on non-FSD Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

didn't find the answer regarding Y. For non-FSD model which include Enhanced AP imo, is supposed to support Auto Lane change (manual p.90):
Auto Lane Change When Autosteer is active on a vehicle equipped with Auto Lane Change...

How do I know it's equipped or not? Autosteer works for lane keeping, just doing nothing when turn signal is activating...

P.s. that's a brand new car with 150 miles so far and still factory 2020.32.3 SW...

I believe it's only available on FSD. Here's a quote from the manual:
"When Autosteer is active on a vehicle equipped with Auto Lane Change, you can use the turn signals to move Model Y into an adjacent lane without moving the steering wheel (which would cancel Autosteer)."
If every vehicle had it, I doubt they would say "if equipped".

OK. Thanks for answering. SA then cheated a bit, when doing a demo he said car has only AP, no FSD and it was doing auto lane changes. Either it had FSD or some "enhanced" AP not available for the rest...

OK. Thanks for answering. SA then cheated a bit, when doing a demo he said car has only AP, no FSD and it was doing auto lane changes. Either it had FSD or some "enhanced" AP not available for the rest...

Model Y has never come with Enhanced Autopilot.

That's the problem of relying on salespeople instead of documentation.

Why you click on the Tesla website order, it says:

"Autopilot Included
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

The keywords here are "within its lane" to "steer" or "accelerate and brake". All functions are "within its lane" and they cannot cross the lane marker automatically.

Model Y has never come with Enhanced Autopilot.

That's the problem of relying on salespeople instead of documentation.

Why you click on the Tesla website order, it says:

"Autopilot Included
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

The keywords here are "within its lane" to "steer" or "accelerate and brake". All functions are "within its lane" and they cannot cross the lane marker automatically.
I'd say documentation is not very clear. They should clearly mark two sections: AP and FSD, with features listed in each of them. Why make such vogue description in manual "When Autosteer is active on a vehicle equipped with Auto Lane Change..." which is listed under Autopilot section, not under FSD? So people got false impression that it's a feature of AP. A conspiracy theory could be it is to make them buy FSD once they realized such features not available w/o it :)

I'd like to rely on documentation but it should be clear and not contradicting (like here website do not mention Auto lane change for AP, but manual does)

I'd say documentation is not very clear. They should clearly mark two sections: AP and FSD, with features listed in each of them. Why make such vogue description in manual "When Autosteer is active on a vehicle equipped with Auto Lane Change..." which is listed under Autopilot section, not under FSD? So people got false impression that it's a feature of AP. A conspiracy theory could be it is to make them buy FSD once they realized such features not available w/o it :)

I'd like to rely on documentation but it should be clear and not contradicting (like here website do not mention Auto lane change for AP, but manual does)
It says "when equipped" with Auto Lane Change. The only option package available is FSD. Everything else is now standard.

The manual refers to all safety features as Autopilot. For example, my old Model 3 did not have EAP or FSD, but per the manual I had AP (accident avoidance, lane assist, blind spot arcs, etc)...not EAP.

Always standard Autopilot = Full suite of safety features (accident avoidance, lane assist, etc)

Currently standard Autopilot = Also means basic autonomous capabilities in your lane (Auto Steer)

Always paid FSD = Extra stuff (which includes some things that were in paid Enhanced AP)

Last edited:
...I'd say documentation is not very clear...

I think it is. For example, depending on how much you paid for 2012 Model S, not all features described on the manual were available for lower price options such as basic navigation which is now taken for granted.

It's nice to have a salesperson but it's not a good idea without checking with the documentation which in this case, very quick reading on the order page on the web.

Either:

1) It did NOT have FSD, and after pressing the stalk the car moved over and then chimed, disconnected Auto Steer (screen went from blue highlights to grey), merely driving in cruise control (TACC) and then the driver double pressed the shifter to re-engage AP Auto Steer.

2) It was a Tesla demo car, which have FSD package.

Either:

1) It did NOT have FSD, and after pressing the stalk the car moved over and then chimed, disconnected Auto Steer (screen went from blue highlights to grey), merely driving in cruise control (TACC) and then the driver double pressed the shifter to re-engage AP Auto Steer.

2) It was a Tesla demo car, which have FSD package.
Yes, seems the demo HAD FSD but SA was not very ...accurate, in describing what's included (even I strike on intention to test car with NO FSD and I was told that car has ONLY AP, no FSD)...
Well, have to do my homework more thoroughly, I agree. Not that it's a deal-breaker for me, was just looking on it as a bonus.

To be VERY clear: My 2015 Model S 85D absolutely did perform auto -change, and no, it (of course) did not have full self-driving.
My new 2022 Model Y with Autopilot only does NOT perform auto lane-change. Very disappointing as I used that feature all the time on the Model S.

To be VERY clear: My 2015 Model S 85D absolutely did perform auto -change, and no, it (of course) did not have full self-driving.
My new 2022 Model Y with Autopilot only does NOT perform auto lane-change. Very disappointing as I used that feature all the time on the Model S.
You're talking about EAP, and auto-pilot doesn't include the features of EAP (e.g. lane change) these days. I believe this was something included with auto-pilot in the past (someone else can clarify - I wasn't an owner til 2020), but... the Y doesn't come with EAP and there is no option to purchase it - you can only purchase (or subscribe to) FSD at this point. There was a brief moment in 2020 where EAP was an option for Model Y, at half the cost of FSD, but that was a fleeting moment.

Summary page on Tesla's site: Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla

Pounced on EAP when it was offered on the MY
Could not be happier
I have got a 2022 model y P and with EAP and it has no features what so ever. Complete waste IMO. Lane change is ok when indicating but it will move over and take a long time to get up to speed with the traffic in this new lane. In fact occasionally breaking when entering the new lane. This is in the UK. All of the other features are disabled, or coming soon.