Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AWD LR+ have same capability as Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering - since the AWD long range is a dual motor - similar to the performance - does it have the capability to be as fast as the performance in terms of the 0-60. I know the 0-60 for the performance is 3.2 and the LR is 4.4. I heard that Tesla may offer LR customers the ability to upgrade to performance like capability via a software unlock - but Im not too sure about that.

I got my long range last Saturday and I absolutely love it. The acceleration is fantastic. I previously drove a Jaguar F-type 400 Sport and the LR+ feels faster and so much better.

See this 1,187 reply long thread:

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

The answer to your question is: possibly, but not fully confirmed

The very "TL ; DR" (too long, didnt read) version of this from what I remember is:

1. Some people went to pick up early Performance models, and arrived and their cars were AWD. Tesla flashed the firmware on some of those, turning them into performance.

2. Lots of discussion about "binned" motors, since early AWD and performance cars had the same part numbers on the motors. Parts catalogs showed same replacement parts originally for the AWD and Performance motors.

3. At some point, the PN of one of the motors changed.

I stopped paying attention to it, so may have some of that wrong. I have no vested interest in the answer, as I have a model 3 performance already.

My suspicion is, (and its just a guess) that unless tesla can offer ALL purchasers of that model an upgrade, they wont offer it to any. meaning, if there are binned motors in some of them, or, alternatively, it would work on cars with the same motor PNs but not work on later AWD with a different part number, they wont offer it to any. If they offered it to SOME AWD owners but not all, that would be a Q#$Q#$ storm of EPIC proportions. Also, if they WERE able to offer it to all, and did, then you have the issue of the price point.

Tesla owners have PROVEN as a group that they can....not.... stand... anyone possibly getting something for less than they paid for it, and raise a stink any time this happens. If the price was too low (not a big enough charge), performance model owners would throw a fit saying its "not fair" that AWD owners are getting it for such a price, etc. If the price is "too high", then AWD owners would not just be happy they could buy it, but many would then complain about the price and "what is tesla smoking with that price?!?!?!"

All one has to do is see how people complain about new features in firmware that cost nothing, to see that this would happen. Not sure the uptake in money would be worth the negative press on it.

Reactions: MightyHawk
See this 1,187 reply long thread:

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

The answer to your question is: possibly, but not fully confirmed

Thank you - I appreciate that. I didn't see this thread. Apologies for creating new one.

Hopefully this is something Tesla gives an opportunity for LR AWD customers to purchase as an add on - but I get how it would be seen as unfair by some Performance owners.

Reactions: Vaillant
The very "TL ; DR" (too long, didnt read) version of this from what I remember is:

1. Some people went to pick up early Performance models, and arrived and their cars were AWD. Tesla flashed the firmware on some of those, turning them into performance.

2. Lots of discussion about "binned" motors, since early AWD and performance cars had the same part numbers on the motors. Parts catalogs showed same replacement parts originally for the AWD and Performance motors.

3. At some point, the PN of one of the motors changed.

Largely correct.... though the recent batches of inventory-only P3D- cars have also had some delivered as AWD then flashed to P via OTA a day or two later (and had the same rear motor the AWD cars previously had)

My suspicion is, (and its just a guess) that unless tesla can offer ALL purchasers of that model an upgrade, they wont offer it to any.

That isn't consistent with previous behavior- they've often done unlocks only for folks built with certain HW that could handle it

(see the S75 unlocks for only cars made after a certain date- or the P85 upgrade stuff that only some folks could get, and cost money)

Tesla owners have PROVEN as a group that they can....not.... stand... anyone possibly getting something for less than they paid for it, and raise a stink any time this happens. If the price was too low (not a big enough charge), performance model owners would throw a fit saying its "not fair" that AWD owners are getting it for such a price, etc. If the price is "too high", then AWD owners would not just be happy they could buy it, but many would then complain about the price and "what is tesla smoking with that price?!?!?!".

The fact they keep bouncing prices around suggests they don't really care about the yelling.

Also the price to go AWD->P3D- on inventory cars is down to only 2k now, so they can just charge 3k for the unlock and problem solved there...it'd still be "cheaper" to go P up front... especially if they make it clear the unlock is ONLY good for cars from before the motor change earlier this year meaning future buyers wouldn't have the option.

Reactions: MagnusMako