Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD know which side of the road to drive on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter asked a question about how the car knows which side of the road to drive on. She wondered if we brought our US car to the UK, would it drive on the correct side of the road? I assumed it would based on the car knowing the rules of the road because of the gps location. I can't actually try this so I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone tried this?

Thank you!

Beachsideev, absolutely it does. We are based in the UK and regularly travel to France. The minute you get there it knows to drive on the other side of the road and you can use EAP and NOP. It switches seamlessly back when you get off the ferry home. Amazing tech!

Awesome! I was hoping someone like you would post that they have done this and it just works. Thank you!

totally different scenario. I see no reason for them to block maps to other regions.

For tesla "Europe" is a region, so I would expect it to work. Taking a US car over there, not so much. For one thing, the car wouldnt even communicate at all unless the SIM was swapped, and there have been plenty of stories here of people swapping sims but still not having FSD type things working.

So, For the Scenario of "I want to take my US car to Europe and expect this to just work", No, that isnt happening. For the Scenario of "I bought my car in Europe and drive into different countries", yeah sure I expect that to work, and someone has confirmed it does.

Reactions: glide
cellular no, but wifi would still work.

it is two separate issues though. so maybe it won't have map data but would fsd work correctly? fsd still works in areas that don't have cellular coverage, right? in my experience, navigation doesn't need up to date map data to work.

cellular no, but wifi would still work.

it is two separate issues though. so maybe it won't have map data but would fsd work correctly? fsd still works in areas that don't have cellular coverage, right? in my experience, navigation doesn't need up to date map data to work.

I dont understand what you are saying here about wifi working. Sure, wifi would work but that has zero to do with anything the car does while driving. Even connecting your phone as a wifi access point wont do squat for the cars navigation systems, etc.

No, FSD wont work correctly with a US car taken to Europe (or anywhere else outside of its "region" which is the US. I have read posts from people in the military who have attempted this and it doesnt work. It would take a sim swap and maps downloaded for the region (Europe).

here is one but I read a couple others from military people. In any case, the sim would have to be swapped to communicate, and the maps would have to download (and be assigned to the car). The charging infrastructure is different. The general consensus is to sell your US model 3 and buy one in The country you are going to.

What would happen, if you'd take a US Tesla to Europe or Asia?

Thanks! I searched for a thread like that but didn't find any. My original question has been answered and it did work as I suspect. THanks again!

Your original post was "if I take it from the US to the UK will it just work?" and the answer to that is 100% "no, it wont, and it wont automatically download any maps to fix it, either". This post above seems to indicate "it works as I expected it would", but it actually doesnt work if you are talking about from the US to the UK.

If you are talking about "A European spec tesla model 3 traveling between countries who drive on either the left or right hand side of the road", that is what works, and was confirmed to work. So, no, your US based model 3 imported to Europe wont just work.

Here is another thread just posted recently from someone who imported a US model 3 to Jordan:

Retrofitting European spec modem for US Model 3

Just like the title states, my specific question was does fsd know the correct side of the road to drive on. Beesiler answered the question that it does. I brought up moving a us spec car to the uk just as an example. I didn't ask about map data, cellular connections or any other region specific things. So my statement was correct - fsd does drive on the correct side of the road. Thanks again Beesiler!